View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:30 am 
I'm running into a strange problem. Out of nowhere, my remote (hauppauge PVR-150) stopped working last night. It's been working just fine for a few years, right up until about 3 this morning when I finished my movie and turned off the TV.

When I went to use it this morning, I get no response. The server hadn't rebooted or anything like that(I checked), so I'm not sure what changed. I restarted lirc, restarted the server, but no dice. I checked and saw that there were a few updates pending, so I applied them, still no luck. The receiver is still detected by lsusb and the remote is transmitting (I get a blinking led when I push any button) but irw isn't registering any events. /var/log/lircd doesn't have any errors, just the normal "lircd ready" and "accepted new client" lines.

At this point, I'm not well versed enough in lirc to troubleshoot further without help from someone who knows what they're doing. :) Anyone have any suggestions?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:24 pm 
The wiki may be your friend. This overview of lirc and the toolset may help:
http://linhes.org/projects/linhes/wiki/ ... tomization

Just work your way up the tool chain to isolate the problem.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:26 pm 
Thanks, christ. That did help a lot.

"ir-keytable -t" DOES work (when I stop lircd. Explains why it didn't do anything the first time. *facepalm*).

Quote:
1333138370.506132: event MSC: scancode = 800f541e
1333138370.625135: event MSC: scancode = 800f541e
1333138370.719132: event MSC: scancode = 800f541e

So it looks like the wiki suggests "If you get only raw translated codes then your keymap file does not match the Remote Receiver and Remote."

And it's right, those certainly don't match the ones in the keymap in /usr/MythVantage/templates/remotes/mceusb/lircd.conf.mceusb. (That's the up button, which should be 0x07be1.) It's close to /etc/rc_keymaps/rc6_mce which maps KEY_UP to 0x800f041e, but different.

Just on a lark, I figured it might be having a bit of an identity crisis nonetheless, but

Quote:
sudo grep f541e /etc/rc_keymaps/*

returned nothing.

At this point, while I think I could manually rewrite the keymap in the conf file, I might be better served by first figuring out why the codes changed in the first place. Maybe you've got some thoughts on it?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:48 am 
targren wrote:
Quote:
1333138370.506132: event MSC: scancode = 800f541e

So it looks like the wiki suggests "If you get only raw translated codes then your keymap file does not match the Remote Receiver and Remote."

And it's right, those certainly don't match the ones in the keymap in /usr/MythVantage/templates/remotes/mceusb/lircd.conf.mceusb. (That's the up button, which should be 0x07be1.) It's close to /etc/rc_keymaps/rc6_mce which maps KEY_UP to 0x800f041e, but different.

The raw translated codes from ir-keytable -t will need to match a definition file in /etc/rc_keymaps which will then output a key label and code (e.g. in the wiki example it was 0x0077) which then maps to the lircd.conf
targren wrote:
Just on a lark, I figured it might be having a bit of an identity crisis nonetheless, but
Quote:
sudo grep f541e /etc/rc_keymaps/*

returned nothing.

At this point, while I think I could manually rewrite the keymap in the conf file, I might be better served by first figuring out why the codes changed in the first place. Maybe you've got some thoughts on it?

it is odd and the codes are very close to the RC6 protocol assuming that was a KEY_UP button. See /etc/rc_keymaps/rc6_mce

perhaps the protocol in the driver changed for some reason? You can check this by simply entering the following and see what pops out:
Code:
ir-keytable

This will show you the available and selected protocols.

If the rc_keymap file is working properly then KEY_UP should return something like:
Code:
1330396066.132941: event MSC: scancode = 800f541e
1330396066.132950: event key down: KEY_UP (0x0067)
1330396066.132951: event sync

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:48 pm 
Not sure how it happened, but it looked like the transmit broadcast channel got messed up. Maybe I rolled over on the remote when I was sleeping.

In a fit of desperation, I tried the instructions here and it seemed to start working again immediately. Before that, It wouldn't work either with my linhes box nor my Windows 7 box.

Dumb luck, but problem solved.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:51 pm 
Well that is interesting. I guess changing channel changes the codes output by the driver. The fourth octet must have the channel info in it.

You might want to add an entry in or around the following wiki entry:
http://linhes.org/projects/linhes/wiki/Remotes