View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Nova-HD-S2 Issues
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 2:13 pm 
Hi,

I've just added a new Nova-HD-S2 to my Linhes box. I've added the card and set an input, but I can't find any channels when I scan. I've tested the line in on a different machine, using my old nova-S card, but S2 seems ellusive. I've followedthis guidefor frequencies, but all I see is 36% noise/interfearence when scanning, before it reports "No channels added".

Very annoying.

Can anybody suggest any trouble shooting tips for this?

Regards

Tophee

Post subject: Re: Nova-HD-S2 Issues
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 11:50 pm 
According to Happauge's website this is a satellite tuner.
Is there anything else connected to the satellite? If so unplug everything except the card. Are you using the same piece of wire (cable) to test both cards?
Try grounding the line. Most splitters have a place to ground the shield just attach it to the case of the Computer or to the screw on an outlet. Is it running through a surge protector or a battery Backup? If so bypass it. If not find one and give it a shot.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 2:00 am 
Hi Matt,

Thanks for replying. The ideas you suggested are worth persuing.

Currently my linhes box has a 3 cards in it. Two are DVB-T and this new card is DVB-S2.

As for testing: yes same bit of wire, newly installed last weekend. The satellite dish is single line (LNB) and is set to this in the rellevent page. I checked the satellite still pointed at the right place with my old Nova-S card. It picked up channels on its first scan. Admittedly I did this on a different pc, but I confirmed wire and dish are pointing in the right direction.

I rerouted the cable, plugged the new card in beside the other two, and I cant pick up either dvb-s or dvb-s2 broadcasts.

I am wondering if the Nova-HD-S2 needs more power... Perhaps the gpu, the four hdd, three fans and three tuner cards are too muc for my psu? Although its a good brand (Corsair). My next step will be to unplug everything, except the satellite card and try again.

Also, no battery backup, splitter or aything else. Very fraustrating. Might have to get hold of a windows or ubuntu pc to try the card in.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 5:17 am 
So in an attempt to get this working, I thought I'd go back to basics and try one thing at a time.

I pulled all cards from my Mythbox and put in my old Nova-S card. (Which I hasten to add has been kicking around, out of a box or anti static bag for the last 10 months or so and was rescued from the gaurage floor for this testing!) anyways, once I'd tightened up the aerial it worked straight away, however I noticed there was an awful lot of Signal/Noise, at one pont getting up to 90%.

Perhaps the newer card is a bit more Signal/Noise sensitive?

I think I'll hop up on the roof and try to realign the dish, but that will have to wait til next weekend. I'm rather busy for hte rest of the day and htis coming week.

Any more thoughts greatfully recieved.

Regards

Chris

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 11:21 am 
Right,

As today was sunny and hot, I thought I'd take an hour or so to sit in the sun (and the roof was the right place - hot enough from the sun, but enough of a breese to keep cool) and check the alignment of my satellite dish. I had my satellite finder, my compass and iphone - the iphone had a compasss too and mpore importantly access to dishpointer (www.dishpointer.com) to ensure I was pointing at the right bit of sky.

So, with the DVB-S2 card in my mythbox, I got nothing - well nothing I could use. I got a tone from the sat finder, but when I changed angle of the dish, there was no variation in the tone produced and the needle was not giving any strong movement.

Went back to the DVB-S card and it all worked. I was able to get a proper reading from my Satfinder. I the successfully scanned for channels and was able to watch the channels I found.

A quick switch of cards and still nothing from the Nova-HD-S2.

I plan to have a go with the card in my Ubuntu box (following the instructions here, which is where I am getting my frequency details from). Or in my Vista install (usually only booted up for photoshop) just to check the hardware.

Before I lug my desktop computer downstairs, any other things I can try? Updates?

Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 4:04 am 
So, now have a test machine available to me and the old Nova-S card I have works perfectly and I watched Channed4-HD no problem. I switched off, pulled that card, put the Nova-HD-S2 in it's place, reconnected the same cable from the Satellite dish, turned it back on. Ran an update (sudo packman -Syu) grabbed a couple of packages. Rebooted to make sure it was all up to date and... nothing. Still getting a --Timed out, no channels message.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 6:13 am 
So installed ubuntu on the test machine, and put added upgraded it to mythbuntu. From a terminal I was able to scan, but while the scan completed, it failed to find any channels.

Next up, Windows and lets see if I get anywhere with that...

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 2:53 pm 
Oh how irritating. I got a hdd with vista on it, plugged it into my test machine and installing the hauppage software, the card worked perfectly.

Now, how do I get it to work with mythtv/linhes?

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 3:01 pm 
Have you checked the tuner status after you reboot?

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 11:14 pm 
In windows or linhes? I hadn't rebooted after scanning in windows. I will turn it on again and have a look.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 2:38 am 
Had 5 mins before I left for work, and I can confirm that, yes in Windows the card still works after a reboot.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:32 am 
I was more concerned with linhes. Once you get to R7 if you have more then one tuner they are most likely swapping device id's on you.
http://forum.linhes.org/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=22612
http://forum.linhes.org/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=22383

Maybe not but something to keep in mind

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:40 pm 
Ah, I see. I stated with my R7 production box, but as i wasn't getting anywhere, I built a test machine. I only put one card in the test machine but when scanning it timed out, finding no channels. As I'd seen that this card does work with linux, I was trying to establish if there were any other issues stopping this card working.

My old SD satellite card works with current dish and cable using R7. The hauppauge Nova-hd-s2 doesn't work. I tried it with mythbuntu, which did not find anything. Then windows vista and the card worked. I've proved the line in is good. The card works, but I can't get it to work with linhes.

Last edited by tophee on Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:42 am 
So, back to this again. I had a day to myself and decided to try again.I found this page over at linuxtv.org, which suggested some revisions of this card are incompatable.

I checked my card via lspci -vnn. Apparently the unrecognized identifier is [14f1:0800]. Mine returned [14f1:8800] which is the right revision to have.
lspci -vnn also listed three other entries for the card 14f1:8811, 8802 and 8804. When results are returned, lspci shows Capabitites as <access denied>, which I assume is firmware related.

On other sites (most notably ubuntu's forums) others have reported problems with the firmware in the past which is apparently corrupt. They identified the problematic firmware as dvb-fe-cx24116.fw, which seems to be the firmware shipping with R7.2.

Can anyone point me to how to get a more recent and hopefully fixed firmware for my LinHES box, prefereably in idiot proof instructions. (I don't have time to play with Linux as much as I'd like and it's suprising how quickly you forget things.) I'd love to get this card working.

Cheers

Chris

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:42 pm 
thats rather confusing why is ubuntu updating firmware on cards

Go to page 1, 2  Next