View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 4:18 pm 
Just wondering if any one has come across this. I have an HDHomerun (dual tuner) for a year or so and just got an HDHomerun Prime.

When I went to the tuner configuration page I can only find configure 2 of the HD Prime's tuners. It's like the third one is not there.

If I use the hdhomerun_config_gui I can see all three of the Prime's tuners. But another unusual thing is that once I power up the prime unit, I no longer see my old HDHomerun tuner in the list.

Just wondering if there is a maximum number of tuners that can be configured or if anyone is using a similar combination.
Thanks

Tim

Last edited by tscholl on Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 11:23 pm 
I don't know if this helps are not, I have two (2) HDHomeRun (noraml/standard) of different generations and I have no problem seeing both of them.

I have two suggestions, is your DHCP server giving them the same IP address, so you can only see the old one when the Prime is off?

The other suggestion is are the firmwares up to date, again I cannot confirm if this will actually help or not.

Good Luck.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 3:37 pm 
Girkers , Thanks for the suggestion.

I upgraded the firmware on both tuners and the config_gui to the latest versions. I can now see both tuners at the same time. I haven't gotten back to Myth Setup to see if there is any change there yet. Won't get to try that now until next week.

Thanks !

Tim

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 7:49 pm 
I haven't tried this yet but I did find the following information on mythtv.org which addresses what I am seeing.
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Configuring_MythTV_for_the_HDHomeRun_Prime

Code:
This page used to provide special instructions for configuring a CableCARD tuner on MythTV .24. With the release of MythTV .25, configuration of CableCARD tuners is supported, so no special configuration is necessary when running MythTV .25 or higher: an HDHomeRun Prime can be configured as normal for .25

It goes on to say ....
Code:
Change Max Recordings to 1. When in CableCard mode, the HDHomeRun is only able to record one program per tuner. Press Finish.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:36 am 
Well I tried those instruction but didn't have a lot of luck. When I try to discover I can still only see two of the 3 tuners. I can configure them manually but when I try to go back to the frontend it never comes up. Just hangs at a the Blue screen.

Even when I go back and delete the HDHomerun Prime tuners the frontend won't restart. I have to reboot the box to get it to come up.

Anyone have a HDHomerun Prime configured and working on R7.2 ?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:11 am 
hdhomerun prime works for me. I followed these instructionson the mythtv wiki. It's been a while, but my recollection is that at some point I deleted all capture cards to get a clean start. Also, only the first 2 tuners show up on the auto scan -- I needed to manually enter the IP address for the third one.

The views expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Last edited by marc.aronson on Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:14 pm 
marc,

Thanks for the information on configuring the tuners. That did the trick. I had tried to use the tuner id for the third one, and I think that's what was causing the frontend to hang.

I also ran one other problem getting the defined tuners to fetch channels from listing source.

I ended up creating a dummy tuner to pull the channel information. For other that may have the same problem. Here is the information on how to do it.
Code:
Create a dummy tuner from add tuner in setup.   (It's in the list)
Then it will want you to point it to a file.  file:/myth/tv/some_mpg_file_name.mpg

Create a new video source that point to your cable_company_digital_lineup on schedules direct or what ever your using.

Then from input connections associate your dummy tuner to your new video source.  Then select fetch channels from video source.  This will pull all the channels information that your cable card needs.

Now attach the same video source to your HDPrime tuners, and your all set.

Thanks again marc

Tim

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:25 pm 
Tim, glad that helped. Upon closer examination, I now see that some has deleted the entire explanation of how to successfully set up 0.24, which requires the dummy tuner. I don't know why the did that, but I dug into the history and found these instructions for 0.24, which is what LINHES 7.2 is built from.

The views expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:25 pm 
Marc,

Thanks for the following up and finding the original .24 instructions. I stumbled across a post somewhere that mentioned creating a Dummy Tuner but didn't give any other information. Managed to figure out the rest.

I'm sure the link to the correct write up will help others that follow.

Tim

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:47 pm 
Thought I'd give everyone an update. I was trying to get this to work with Time Warner Cable. Well if you provider is TWC you can forget about using the HDPrime. It will not work!! I received this reply from Silicon Dust Support.

Code:
Hello,

TWC typically copy protects all encrypted channels. You would need to use WMC on Windows 7 in order to access them.

Silicondust Support

To me this doesn't bode well for Silicon Dust at all. They should at least POST this somewhere before someone buys one and finds out it's useless.

Bottom line if your TWC forget about it ..................

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:53 pm 
Ouch! I have Comcast and much of the encrypted stuff is not copy protected, but if they turn that on, I will have to "cut the cord"...