View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:08 am 
I've had an HD-PVR model 1212 in plastic in the closet for a few years now. On the weekend, I bought a high-definition-capable STB and tried to hook up the HD-PVR. First, I flashed it to hdpvr_1.7.1.30059.zip on a Windows box. That flash was successful, the boot log shows I'm using firmware 0x1e. I've set up the new STB to use 1080i for output (to component outputs), and I'm using the SPDIF connections for audio.

Getting the IR-blaster running was a horror, for a bunch of reasons (including the manual for the STB claiming the sensor was in a different place than it was). I've got a serial-port IR-blaster as well for my standard-definition STB, and things are pretty finicky about the order in which modules are loaded and setserial calls are performed in order that that goes through, but I'm happy with channel changing now on both STBs.

With LinHES 7.2, the HD-PVR would sometimes get wedged in a mode with the blue light always on, even after the recording failed and /dev/video0 was released. That required a full power cycle of both the HD-PVR and the backend to clear, and I still couldn't get anything to record successfully.

I have no consistency recording with the HD-PVR. I noticed the upgrade to LinHES 7.3, and performed that. It's better with the updated kernel, I never get caught in the blue light mode, but recordings are not reliable. Last night, a movie recording took 1 hour to lock on, so it skipped the first 60 minutes of the show, then proudly recorded the last 35 minutes. This morning, a new symptom showed up, I can sometimes get a recording started (about one attempt in 4 results in a non-zero-length file, sometimes after a delay of several minutes while it tries over and over). Strangely, about 3 seconds into the recording, I lose sound, but the video continues. Once, a recording that was already running suddenly lost lock.

My modprobe.d/lirc_zilog.conf contains: options lirc_zilog tx_only=1
My modprobe.d/hdpvr.conf contains: options hdpvr default_audio_input=2 default_video_input=0

My suspicion is that, while many users of MythTV use the 1.7.1 firmware, the specific kernel in LinHES 7.3 might want the 1.5.7 firmware, so I'm planning to try that next.

I presume that some LinHES 7.3 users have HD-PVRs working reliably with component connections to a 1080i STB. If so, could they please provide me with some insight? Thank you.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:32 am 
OK, a lot more trial and error, and I think I've got reliable recordings now.

The 1.7.1 firmware works better for me than the 1.5.7, but when I use the optical input, I only get sound for the first two or three seconds of the recording, so I had to remove the optical cable and use the stereo RCA connections. I also had to patch the source code and compile a new libmythtv, one in which the DeviceReadBuffer::Poll() function has a timeout that increases by 1.5s every time there is a poll failure, up to a maximum of 10s. That's because when the poll failure occurs, the HD-PVR box is reset, and it almost always takes my box more than 2.5s (the timeout in the original code) to latch and start returning data after the HD-PVR reset.

My next project is VBI data for the recordings, something a bit tricky since it isn't transmitted down the component cables.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:04 am 
Glad to see you have that working. I use 1.5.7. I found the HD-PVR to be sensitive to at least the following:
1) The optical input being reliable
2) reliability of its own power supply
3) traffic on the USB bus.
4) source signal quality (which may be related to (1)

I didn't move up from 1.5.7 to later versions because of the colour saturation issues. I assume you added those settings at start up to overcome this.

for info, my current set up is quite reliable. I may have to power cycle an hd-pvr about every month or so. It would be nice to automate a power cycle/reboot hd-pvr when a failure is detected but I haven't had time to work on such a script.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:03 pm 
I just got my Hauppauge HD-PVR 1212 today and tried set it up according to the directions at
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Hauppauge_HD-PVR

Except, I did not compile and test the driver thinking LinHES has that already included. I also am not clear on how to set the "channel change script" as noted in step 5. Input Connection.

When I try to view live TV, I do not get anything. I have verified that my Verizon Fios DVR is outputing through the component cables by hooking up the pass through Component Cables to my TV.

What do I try next?

I'm running LinHES 7.2

Thanks!
Jon

Firewire to Comcast cable box
PVR-250
R6

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:07 am 
@jmhunt, Are you using firewire for changing the channels or the irblaster. I also have a FIOS STB and am having great results with firewire channel changing using the following to change channels:
/usr/bin/mythchanger -f7 -c

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:57 am 
I will be using the included IR Blaster as my STB from Verizon apparently only supports up and down channel commands over the firewire. Where can I find some instructions on using mythchanger?

Firewire to Comcast cable box
PVR-250
R6

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:30 am 
Not sure where I found it. I have a FIOS HD box that is connected through a HD-PVR and a FIOS digital convertor (one of those tiny free boxes they were giving out for free) which is connected to a PVR-150. I had been using the 6200ch script to change channels on the HD box when my 6.03 system that died. I just did a fresh install and came across mythchanger while googling like crazy to get it working. Mythchanger worked out of box for me on 7.4. Do you have a firewire card and cable? If not both are cheap items if you have room in your box. I still have one IR blaster that I use for the digital convertor but would switch that in a heart beat if it had a firewire adapter (which it doesnt)