View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Atom/ION reviews wanted
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:08 pm 
Hi,
I'm looking at getting a second frontend and am interested in the cheap Atom/ION platforms.
Can anyone tell me what their like to use?
I have read that they should be able to handle most HD video, but is the user interface responsive?

At work we have some Atom N270 with Intel graphics running Win7 but they are awful to use. Is LinHES on a slightly faster Atom with better gfx going to be a better experience.

I am looking at something like this with a Dual-Core Atom D2700 2.13GHz with nVidia GT520 512mb graphics.
http://www.auspcmarket.com.au/info/OC-Z ... er_page=50

Or are there any other good and inexpensive options?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:48 pm 
I have been using the Acer Aspire Revo 1600 (two frontends) for over two years now with no problems. Very snappy interface, and they playback HD without any problems (over ethernet). Just upgraded them to LinHES 7.4 the other weekend.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:27 pm 
I'm using an Acer Aspire Revo R3700 in my bedroom as a second frontend and it works flawlessly with R7.4. Got it running wirelessly to my backend and it plays all of my HD content without any drama or stress.

Installs straight out of the box too however I have upgraded the wireless NIC to an Intel so I could get better range in my previous house.

Some of the content looks better on this frontend to a 1080i plasma than on my main frontend 1080p, which I think is mainly due to the graphics chip being able to handle the Advanced 2x interlacer. (Must upgrade my main frontend card...).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:38 pm 
I use an old Asus N10J netbook which has an Atom N270 (that a 1.6GHz single core) paired with an NVidia 9300M as one of my front ends. Works quite well especially compared to my other frontends are Core2 Duos! I would have no issue deploying those in general.

BTW, the Asus N10J is a great little netbook to convert to Myth. Aside from the 9300M (VDPAU support) it also has an HDMI and S/PDIF outputs. Shocking given how little it cost even brand new. The only negative I have is that there is no way to turn the laptop on other than pressing the power button on it. All of my other front ends can be turned on using the remote.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:43 pm 
Thank you all for replying, that's great to hear.

I've also just found out that we have some D525's with ION graphics at work that due to be retired at the end of the year, so I should be able to pick up a couple cheap.

Thanks again,
Paul