View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:27 pm 
For the most part this has been working well. But some reason, just recently, the cable box has started turn it's self off. It usually seems to happen at night. Or if the box is not in use.

The cable box is TWC scientific atlanta explorer 4250hdc, it does have a setting for automatic shutoff but it is set to disable.

I know that the cable company can, and I have seen a message to press any key on the remote to keep watching or the cable box will turn off.

So the question is what code can i send to the cable box that won't interfere with a recording if one it in progress, but will let that cable box know that it's still being used so don't turn off? Had anyone else had this problem?

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:42 pm 
I am using a 4240HDC, I turn off my box every change I get if it's not recording because the thing gets so hot that I get digital lock-up during recordings.

I turned on a setting in the cable box that will turn on the cable box when any number is pressed. This created the convenient situation where no matter if the box in on or off, I can send a sequence to ensure it is on.

So, I send: 0 0 SELECT

This has the effect of sending zero twice to make sure the box is on, then SELECT which would try to tune to channel zero, being an invalid channel, stays on the previously tuned channel.

Maybe that technique will work for you.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:31 am 
bobmyth

Sounds like a good solution. i will have a look for that setting. I know I have it set to turn on to the last channel selected, so I will have another look.

Thanks for the suggestion.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:08 am 
Quick question. How do you handle turning off the STB when it's done recording, or make a channel change to a different tuner?