View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:20 pm 
I don't want to replace my whole rig yet so my plan is to slap a video card sized Band-Aid on my rig. I'm a cheapskate what can I say.
I can find both the GeForce GT 740 and the Radeon R7 250 used for roughly $25 on eBay and it seems like they would be an upgrade over my i5-3570 " IntelĀ® HD Graphics 2500". The Intel Graphics really seems to be a bottle neck on my current system.
Which one should I get?
Is one more supported than the other?
The nVIDIA card has HDMI and the AMD card has Display Port, am I potentially loosing anything by using DisplayPort instead of HDMI?
Is there a FE solution (IE Raspberry Pi 4) that is better than either of these solutions?

Thanks,
MattBatt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:54 am 
Is it a combined FE/BE? I have a pi4 running libreelec which is a kodi OS which can act as a remote front-end. It doesn't do hardware decoding of mpeg2, but it seems to perform okay with software decoding. I have a combined FE/backend with a geforce gt 710 which works well except for an nvidia bug that some of us experience which may cause the frontend to lockup. I've started running kodi on top of the frontend and it has performed well. I am hesitant to use the pi as a main frontend since I dont see any substantial benefits over my current setup. However, I have been giving some consideration to getting an nvidia shield...

In answer to your question, I am not sure how well supported Radeon is, so I would probably choose the nvidia gt 740.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:38 am 
Yes it's a combined FE/BE and I'm noticing screen tearing at 1080/60 and the various switches in the Intel driver don't seem to get rid of it.
I was wondering about driver support for either and nVIDIA lockups would steer me away.
I have used a Raspberry Pi 2 as a Kodi FE while it "worked" it was always a little slow and I prefer the MythTV interface and I did try a Pi specific MythTV build that was just dog slow on R-pi 2.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:10 pm 
I think mythtv-light has seen improvements as has the raspberry pi. I think that it will perform better than your previous trial, but it still may not be as snappy as you are accustomed. Libreelec seems to play mpeg2 okay with software decoding, but I don't know how mythtv would do on a pi4. Might be worth checking on the mythtv forums for user experiences.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:24 pm 
Just to complete the loop on this I bought a used Radeon R7 250 It didn't improve screen tearing on it's own I had to change the "video playback profile" to OpenGL High Quality. I'm not sure if the Radeon was necessary or not or if it was just that switch that needed to be flipped. I also increased the "audio read ahead" to 500 ms since I've had to start doing some lipsync correction with this new TV and that seemed to help video tearing as well a little.
Switching Xorg to ATI drivers was quite a pain. Compounded with the fact that I thought renaming the files disable.20-automv.conf would disable them NOPE. I spent way too many hours trying to figure out why nothing was working before I realized that no mater what I did Xorg kept trying to load the Vesa drivers.

It's funny I made this post and then 2 weeks later the video cards jumped in price on ebay especially the GT 740.