View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:06 pm 
I have an old 2010 build (details below) upon which I installed KnoppMyth 6 at the time. The motherboard HDMI sent video to the TV fine, but never any audio. I had to settle for ALSA:default setting, which sent the audio out of the speaker jack and I used a pair of external Sound Blaster speakers for playback of our recordings.

Now that it's 2021, I decided to back up recordings+database and do a fresh install of LinHES R8. I ran the recommended updates after installation, did some backend configuration, and I can watch live TV with no sound. I selected every possible ALSA option (and the rest of what was in the list) but nothing results in audio over HDMI. I've decided not to plug in the janky old speaker jack and force myself to debug the HDMI issue.

I am competent with linux, and I need suggested diagnostics to run (or other settings to try) as I have not interacted with the MythTV/LinHES communities in about ten years. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

----------------------------
Hardware (2010 build):
pcHDTV HD-5500 HDTV PCI CARD
GIGABYTE GA-880GMA-UD2H AM3 AMD 880G SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X4 925 Deneb Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Socket AM3 95W HDX925WFGIBOX Processor
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH
WD Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive
LG WH10LS30 10X Blu-ray Burner - LightScribe Support - Bulk - OEM
---------------------------

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:12 am 
Welcome back

Not a solution, but the first thing I would check to see is what the o/s thinks you have by doing an

Code:
aplay -l
(lower case L)

in my case, I have:

Code:
[mythtv@mythtv ~]$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: ST [Xonar ST], device 0: Multichannel [Multichannel]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: ST [Xonar ST], device 1: Digital [Digital]
card 1: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC892 Analog [ALC892 Analog]
card 1: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 1: ALC892 Digital [ALC892 Digital]
card 2: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 2: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]

In my case, I have several options, Card 1 is my intel motherboard (not used), Card 2 is my video card where I send video and audio out, and Card 0 is what I use for 2 channel music with Kodi.

If you see your device and it is selected in the mythtv setup, then I'd do an

Code:
alsamixer

to see if the volume is set to zero or 100

you can also use aplay to send an audio file to a specific device

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:08 am 
Thanks for the tips, welner.

aplay -l
is showing my HDMI device changing cards after reboots! Yesterday it was card 1, device 3. Today it is card 2, device 3. I changed asound.conf as suggested here ( http://gedakc.users.sourceforge.net/display-doc.php?name=pvr-install-mythbuntu1404#hdmi-sound ) to show card 1, and after reboot it comes back as card 2. So I changed it to card 2 in asound.conf, reboot, and aplay -l shows it as card 1. I don't know why this is happening or if it may be the cause of the problem.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:51 pm 
aplay -l
has shown me that my HDMI device has been alternating card number assignments, perhaps just on reboot. Currently it shows
Code:
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: ALC892 Analog [ALC892 Analog]
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 1: ALC892 Digital [ALC892 Digital]
card 1: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]

but it has shown as card 2, device 3 in the past, with no card 1 assigned at the time. I don't know what is causing this issue.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:11 pm 
This sounds really stupid but have you tried replacing the HDMI cable? There are some cables that are directional because they build a booster chip on the transmit side. Also sometimes cables just go bad for a number of reasons.
I am assuming you are trying to set up the audio first in "LinHES settings" and using the "test device" button right? I have in the past found that sometimes the correct device just isn't working so I have to pick another output click OK then come back to the correct one and it will suddenly work. It's like it needed to reload the drivers or something.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:04 am 
Thanks for all the tips. I posted earlier replies a week ago but it took awhile for them to show up. In the meantime, I tried every troubleshooting method I could come up with. Then I moved my tuner and hard drive to a different motherboard, and now I get video AND audio from the mobo DisplayPort output (converted to HDMI for the TV).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:59 am 
Village_Idiot wrote:
Thanks for all the tips. I posted earlier replies a week ago but it took awhile for them to show up. In the meantime, I tried every troubleshooting method I could come up with. Then I moved my tuner and hard drive to a different motherboard, and now I get video AND audio from the mobo DisplayPort output (converted to HDMI for the TV).

Glad you got it working on a different motherboard. However, it isn't clear to me if this is your solution and have given up on the old mobo, or if this was just a troubleshooting step.

If you are interested in continuing troubleshooting the issue, i would suggest that you continue on with running alsamixer to verify that output is set at 100% (not 0%) and then use aplay again to send a .wav file out via the device (or use the suggested speaker-test application noted in the url in your response).