View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Video for adjusting TV
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:26 am 
Does anyone have or could suggest a video that I could use that would help me setup my TVs. I have just renovated my house and put in a few new TVs and will be having LinHES front ends on them all (3 in all) and was wondering if there is a video that people could suggest that would help me setup my TVs.

Thanks and looking forward to any replies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:26 am 
Avia and Digital Video Essentials seem to be popular to calibrate your TV.

I own Digital Video Essentials on DVD. I found when I first got my projector, the built-in video "formats" were great. No need to calibrate in my opinion. As the bulb has aged though I found that the picture had darkened. So I got out my DVE disk and used it to adjust things nicely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:24 pm 
Thanks djb61230 for the suggestion, however with Hi-Def pictures these days is a DVD still the best way or is there a Blu-Ray equivilent?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:14 pm 
Wouldn't it be cool if we had a "test pattern generator" app for Myth? It could generate all the standard test patterns used in Avia or the other discs natively -- and do it for every scan rate that the Mythbox produces.

In my case, the mythbox is connected to a VGA input on my set which is not exactly the same path as the component inputs used by the ISF calibrator when he comes to visit my TV set. I think my setup would be improved if my ISF calibration was done in exactly the same way as 99% of my viewing.

Anyway, no such app exists now. But it doesn't seem like it'd be all that hard to do for someone skilled in Python and QT4. And video standards. And calibration techniques. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:57 pm 
Girkers wrote:
Thanks djb61230 for the suggestion, however with Hi-Def pictures these days is a DVD still the best way or is there a Blu-Ray equivilent?

They have bluray versions I believe. I only have a bluray drive on my desktop, not in the myth boxes.

It comes down to your goals - you can pay a professional to calibrate or DIY with one of these tools. I'm no expert but I think I improved my picture using it but I'm sure a pro sure would get better results. But cost a tad more than $40 :)