View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Mythnetvision
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:01 pm 
Has anyone had any luck getting Mythnetvision up and running? If so, do you have any pointers or could you point to any write-ups on it? I have tried googling it but there seems to be a dearth of info as relates to Archlinux/LinHES. Thank you!

Post subject: Re: Mythnetvision
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:53 pm 
Anyone? Does anyone care about Mythnetvision?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:08 pm 
I for one am not familiar with it. What is Mythnetvision?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:57 am 
Basically I just installed it by doing a pacman -S mythnetvision. Once done, it shows up as an option under my media. Have not played around with it too much, it seems pretty limited in functionality compared to xbmc, which can also be installed with pacman -S xbmc.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:38 am 
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythNetvision This link gives a rundown as to what Mythnetvision is. It basically allows one to stream video from whatever site you want to, like hulu, BBC, PBS, etc...

I was most interested in getting hulu to work, but I think it is a flash player and web browser dependency problem, which I am not sure how to work out (I am afraid to bork my system and create unhappy family members). I was just hoping that somebody had played with it and might have a few pointers.

I will give the xbmc package a shot. Does that need to installed on the master backend, or can I just install it on a remote front/backend. :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:35 pm 
cantator,

xbmc can just be installed on your remote frontend. And I must say, it is easily the best thing that has happened to my mythbox since I started in 2007. Lots of content to stream. For hulu, just download the bluecop repo and install as described here on lifehacker
http://lifehacker.com/5773868/add-hulu-and-hulu-plus-to-xbmc-with-this-add+on
it is also shown in this youtube video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyF0Xp3lXCo

It is also really easy to get your remote to work with xbmc. Just have to edit the lircmap.xml file that comes with xbmc to match the naming in your lircd.conf file. (described here) http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Userdata/lircmap.xml

XBMC will be releasing a new version any day now that will be able to replace your linhes frontend interface with a video add-on called 'mythbox'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5E8KPalqPg

Alright, I will try to turn off my xbmc fanboy now.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:27 pm 
Quote:
It is also really easy to get your remote to work with xbmc. Just have to edit the lircmap.xml file that comes with xbmc to match the naming in your lircd.conf file. (described here) http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Us ... ircmap.xml

Could you clarify the XBMC remote setup with a bit more light as it pertains to Linhes 7.2 and Lirc 0.9. For example...

/etc/lircd.conf points to
"/usr/MythVantage/templates/remotes/Remote_Name/lircd.remote.conf"

XBMC
/usr/share/XBMC/system/Lircmap.xml (has the name of the remote)

what about?

/home/mythtv/.xbmc/userdata

IRW works and correctly displays the name

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:34 am 
Hey RacerX,

I thought I had things working smoothly with xbmc and lirc, but after playing around last night I still have some work to do. In my setup I am using a serial receiver on ttyS0, and a One4All URC-6131 remote with a custom lircd and lircrc file (which I put in "/usr/MythVantage/templates/remotes/One4all_6131/", overwriting the existing files. I also put my lircd.conf file in /etc/lirc/, but am not sure that is necessary). On the xbmc side, the only file I updated was /usr/share/XBMC/system/Lircmap.xml

Lirc works fine on boot within linhes. irw is outputting the remote keys as I expect. However when I start xbmc from the menu, the remote does not work. However, if I exit out of xbmc and restart lirc (sudo /etc/rc.d/lircd restart), then the remote works! Its very annoying. Another annoying thing is that lirc has a hard time restarting or starting. Most of the time when I do a sudo /etc/rc.d/lircd restart, x-term just shows that lirc stopped, but never started. when trying to start lirc, I often get a message saying "ln: failed to create symbolic link `/dev/lircd': File exists " But when lirc finally does start or restart from x-term, my remote works with xbmc.

I think I am narrowing in on the problem. After google searching, I tried starting xbmc after a reboot from x-term by typing 'xbmc'. xbmc starts, put the remote does not work just like before. However, if I start xbmc in x-term using the command 'xbmc --lircdev /var/run/lirc/lircd' then the remote works, no restart of lirc necessary!

So basically, I am still trying to get this figured out. I am open to any tips. Things I am going to try when I have a chance:

1.) Updating /home/mythtv/.xbmc/userdata with a Lircmap.xml file to see if that helps (thanks for the idea racer)
2.) try modify the xbmc menu option in linhes to add '--lircdev /var/run/lirc/lircd' to the startup command
3.) create symbolic links from /var/run/lirc/lircd to /dev/lirc and /dev/lirc0 and maybe /dev/lircd
4.) maybe try to configure the xbmc install during pacman to add the '--lircdev /var/run/lirc/lircd' option

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:37 pm 
Let's take this discussion over to

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=21846

so were not hijacking this tread.

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:32 am 
cantator,

I had a chance to look at this and here's what I found.

First check if you have a copy of "config.xml" I found one on my machine in "/root/.mythtv" I copied it to /home/mythtv/.mythtv" just in case it need to be there.

Then went to / Service Menu / Mythv Configuration / Setup / Info Center Settings / Web Settings

There I had to change Browser command from /usr/bin/mythbrowser (which no longer exists) to "internal" ( no quotes ) and also set the Text Size to 1 (The initial setting wad 5, which was way to big).

After that followed the directions in the http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythNetvision to set things up and things it worked. I don't have control of the sound, but most other things work.

The scans take a long time to complete but work. Flashplayer on the hulu webpage works but I don't think I have enough cpu on my box.

Tim