View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:01 am 
Lately, it seems that running manually running XBMC library updates is tedious as the network scales out. XBMC has an optional way to handle this task

Export Video Library

Attachment:
xbmc_export_video_library.png
xbmc_export_video_library.png [ 170.99 KiB | Viewed 8671 times ]

On new installs It might save a lot of time if we simply re-import the the library once the MySQL Connection is up and running. This way we don’t have to re-scan your entire library and instead use what we already. How about a single job that updates all the clients?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:59 am 
Yesterday had time to rework one of my FE from scratch. Installed 8.1, XBMC then I upgraded to R8.2 testing. Plain vanilla xbmc 13.2. On Master BE/FE plugged in USB Stick, then ran export video library. I chose the option to create a single file, saved to the usb stick. It took some time to export and the data and then it finished. Next on my Stratch FE I plugged in the USB stick and chose import video library. I selected the root folder, clicked OK. It would take some time. One hour later the job finished and could see all the data. Installed Samba and then mapped the drives. TV Shows where present, Ran update library and it worked finding one change. So now I know it works :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:19 pm 
Perhaps I misunderstood from your post, but the recommended method to share an XBMC library across multiple machines is to use mysql to store the xbmc data thus allowing all FE machines to ability to share it. To do so does not require any usb stick or the export of an existing library. The Arch Wiki has a pretty detailed guide showing this with Arch which I'm guessing has some application to LH as well... although I'm not totally sure how LH implements NFS or mysql.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:54 pm 
My network is mixed environment and XBMC 13.2 client software is installed on all of the PC's, Server, Tablet etc. Samba works fine to connect to the library shares. When I have to redo a FE it's pretty quick but having XBMC scan the database takes quite a while off the internet. I always felt it would be more effiecient to move the current data across the Lan. My test proved the point that it possible to export the database and then import it into another device with a scrach copy of XMBC 13.2. Thanks for sharing your thoughts

:D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:02 pm 
So you are mirroring the database on all your frontends? Again, if you are able to configure them to do so, I recommend the method I mentioned. Samba is a perfectly acceptable too.