View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:47 pm 
I'm using R8.2 and trying to update some channels & icons since my cable provider added a few new ones. In the last few versions, I've always used setup to download icons without any problems. Now when I follow the same procedure, nothing seems to happen. I'm guessing there's a write permission error somewhere, but I'm not seeing anything in any of the numerous logs. Here are the steps to reproduce:

1) Select a channel without an icon (SEC Alternate, for example)
2) Choose Icon Download, Download Icon for SECOF
3) Type SEC in the search bar and choose the SEC Alternate Icon
4) Select OK to send results.

Expected result: icon should download and be displayed.

Actual result: Although the channel now says it is using icon "espn_sec_network_us_alternate.png," this icon is not on the system. It's not in mythtv/.mythtv/channels nor in /root/.mythtv/channels. The root channels directory is empty, and there are no icons anywhere on the computer except for the mythtv/.mythtv/channels directory.

The wiki says as of .27 the icons go into the Channel storage group but that group doesn't need to be created. I don't show a channel storage group in my lists.

This is pretty low priority because I can manually download the icons and transfer them to the box very easily, but it would be nice to get this functionality back before my planned move next year when I will be starting from scratch on the channel listing. Any idea how to troubleshoot this?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:22 pm 
Following up to say this is still an issue in 8.3. I usually run setup through VNC. In the past that hasn't been a problem, but for awhile it's been exhibiting the behavior I described above. I notice that for the vncsvc user, .mythtv is symlinked to /home/mythtv/.mythtv. It still doesn't write any new logos to the /home/mythtv/.mythtv/channels directory. Again, not a huge problem, but is anyone else experiencing this?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:42 am 
I am not seeing a problem with any of my systems and channel icons.

They should be downloading to /home/mythtv/.mythtv/channels/ as long as you are running mythtv-setup as the mythtv user. Using the keyboard shortcut Alt+s runs mythtv-setup as the mythtv user. Check that the /home/mythtv/.mythtv/channels/ directory is mythtv:mythtv and that the permission are drwxr-xr-x.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:32 pm 
brfransen wrote:
I am not seeing a problem with any of my systems and channel icons.

They should be downloading to /home/mythtv/.mythtv/channels/ as long as you are running mythtv-setup as the mythtv user. Using the keyboard shortcut Alt+s runs mythtv-setup as the mythtv user. Check that the /home/mythtv/.mythtv/channels/ directory is mythtv:mythtv and that the permission are drwxr-xr-x.

Ever since it became an option (I can't remember when), I've been launching setup by connecting to vnc :1 and clicking the setup icon there. the vncsvc user has a .mythtv which is symlinked to /home/mythtv/.mythtv. The /home/mythtv/.mythtv/channels directory has the proper permissions, and the symlink looks like this:
Code:
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root   root     20 Nov 23  2013 .mythtv -> /home/mythtv/.mythtv

I guess I will have to start connecting via vnc :2 and launching setup with alt+s, but it used to work the way I do it now. I'm not really sure when it stopped working, because usually I have to scan channels once every couple of years. I've had to do it 4 or 5 times this past year for various reasons.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:37 pm 
When you are connected to vnc:1 I think you are logged in as vncsvc and that user doesn't have write permissions to the channels directory.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:01 am 
You might what to have a look at this post.

I had a similar problem awhile back. Login to mythconverge database and look at the channel table. The 7th column is the icon information. See if it has a full path instead of just the icon name.

Code:
 mysql mythconverg -u mythtv -p
    (Enter password for mythtv mysql user)
mysql> select * from channel;
mysql> exit

You should see something like this
Code:
|  10209 | 1209    | 1209   |        9 | WIVB     | WIVB                                 | cbs4_buffalo.png  |        0 |              | 11563   |           0 |    32768 |      32768 |  32768 | 32768 | Default  |       1 |

If you see
Code:
|  10209 | 1209    | 1209   |        9 | WIVB     | WIVB                                 | /home/mythtv/channels/cbs4_buffalo.png  |        0 |              | 11563   |           0 |    32768 |      32768 |  32768 | 32768 | Default  |       1 |

You need to delete the path in front of the icon name.