View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:53 am 
When I build the system up and incorporate my LVM drive, I have full access to the recordings that are already there.

Right now we are trying to figure out why it will not record.

I have built the system on the main drive only, leaving my archived disk out of the equation. The system is as if I have built a brand new machine only I only have about 12Gigs of space to put recordings. Very small and somewhat slow disk.

Anyway, I can setup a recording and if the system is "Watching TV" on a channel it seems to move over to recording a schduled program just fine. However, if I am in a standby mode, back at the menu only, then it says it is starting the program but automatically switches to "Recorded" in the listings.

When you look at mythbackend.log it shows it Stops recording of the program then Starts recording of the program. Which if I understand this correctly, will make it "Fail" more appropriately "not record" as it has already generated the index to show this recording was previously recorded. so the end result I get a listing in the Recorded programs but there is no file attached to it because it really doesn't exist.

I have some stuff scheduled today that I am further experimenting on this. I will attempt to include listings as time permits.

Here is a snip from earlier in my posts of an example where it is not working.

2006-07-19 18:00:03.213 TVRec(1): Changing from None to RecordingOnly
2006-07-19 18:00:03.440 Channel::GetCurrentChannelNum(138): Failed to find Channel '138'
2006-07-19 18:00:03.460 Channel(/dev/video0)::TuneTo(138): Error, failed to find channel.
2006-07-19 18:00:03.476 TVRec(1) Error: Failed to set channel to 138. Reverting to kState_None
2006-07-19 18:00:03.481 TVRec(1): Changing from RecordingOnly to None
2006-07-19 18:00:03.487 Finished recording Nightmares & Dreamscapes: From the Stories of Stephen King "Umney's Last Case": channel 1138
2006-07-19 18:00:03.514 scheduler: Finished recording: Nightmares & Dreamscapes: From the Stories of Stephen King "Umney's Last Case": channel 1138
2006-07-19 18:00:03.617 Started recording: Nightmares & Dreamscapes: From the Stories of Stephen King "Umney's Last Case": channel 1138 on cardid 1, sourceid
2006-07-19 18:00:03.677 scheduler: Started recording: Nightmares & Dreamscapes: From the Stories of Stephen King "Umney's Last Case": channel 1138 on cardid
1, sourceid 1
2006-07-19 18:00:04.696 Reschedule requested for id 0.
2006-07-19 18:00:05.018 Scheduled 134 items in 0.3 = 0.10 match + 0.22 place
2006-07-19 18:00:06.078 scheduler: Scheduled items: Scheduled 134 items in 0.3 = 0.10 match + 0.22 place

This was two nights ago but the interaction is still the same.
I do have instances where it has succesfully recorded. I am trying to determine the steps I had taken upto the point it acually recordied, i.e. fresh startup, or watching live TV, etc.

On another note, the wife really loves this thing, it worked so well under R5a30, now she is asking "...so these troubles are others having the same issues?" She is being really understanding but she wants her PVR back... hehe, She saw what the other O/S couldn't do and she is being very understanding. Especially since the Cecil and the crew have done so much hard work on this and it is sweet.

Thanks!

Andy

Post subject: Update to post above
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:12 pm 
Well I have been "experimenting" all day.

Here is what I have found if I am "Watching TV" it will record events as scheduled, giving me notice it is going to change, etc.
It does seem rather intense on the HD in this mode as it is generating files for everything it is "Watching" they expire fine, but the Live TV bitrate was too much for my little Test HD. I have since dialed down the bitrate so I can "Test". If I am in any other static mode, saying at the Knoppmyth "Main Menu" It has not been able to make a recording although it gives me an entry in media library and marks the program as if it had recorded it, but there is no mpg file there. Due to the entries I see in the mythbackend.log.

I am going to try to see if it will "Record" while watching a program tonight see if that is also not working. Well tried a scheduled recording while watching something that had already been recorded. Same result, it finished before it started an only gave me an entry in the recorded programs.

I'll update this when I get that info.

Thoughts? Is this normal interaction in R5c7?

Thanks!

Andy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:47 am 
Mike's suggestion is a good one. In addition, might be a good idea to try the following:

1. Disable all commerical flagging, transcoding, etc. This stuff will sometimes cause glitches, depending on your hardware configuration and it's utiliztion level.

2. In the mythset utility (entered by "alt-s", I believe), go to the general setup. Somewhere there is a setting that talks about how VBI is handled. I don't recall the exact wording, but it's all about how closed-caption is captured during the Vertical Blanking Interval. In any event, set it to "none".

These are stabs in the dark -- just ideas to try.

marc

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:30 pm 
Ok, got it.

It needs to have you put in some form of Channel Change script.

Found a reference to my problem over at Gossamer threads.
This is relative to specifically Myth 0.19 Can record in Live TV but not from Schedules

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/188439?search_string=%2Fbin%2Ftrue;#188439

I used /bin/true

Once I confirmed it was working, I had saved a Good backup prior to rebuilding from scratch.

I figured I could try that first.

1) Switched to an Alt console
2) Ran Recreate_lvm.sh
3) Fixed /etc/fstab

At this point i restarted the system since i could still see /dev/hda3 mounted as /myth and so was my VG. probably didn't need to do that, but if I knew Linux better I would know the slick code to do that.

4) Once it restarted, I ran a Restore Myth from the menu.
5) I left the frontend, and stopped the Backend.
6) Ran mythtv-setup, rebuilt my Tuner card settings, but they looked right.
7) made sure I put in that Channel Change Script
8) Ran mythfilldatabase
9) started Backend
10) Restarted Frontend

Checked everything, Recordings are good, also it records from Schedule!

Now on to adding the LIRC scripts for the Blaster.

I feel bad, you all were so helpful and it turned out to be something I did.

Thanks for all the help!

Andy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:35 pm 
Added warnings about not changing the hostname and getting the timezone right during phase 2 setup.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3