View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Adding a sound card
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:52 pm 
Ok, so I just installed R5C7 with a reasonable amount of success, but I get no sound playing divx files from a Windows box and some divx files just give a blank screen for a long time but if I leave it sitting alone it eventually comes back to the MythVideo screen.

I'm using PVR350 for TV out and sound out. This is on a Dell server with no audio hardware. I should be able to dig up an old sound card from the basement but probably with miserable quality. I also have a very good quality Edirol UA5 USB audio interface.

What do you think I'll have better luck with?

Is Mythtv going to hate me if I'm constantly unplugging and replugging the Edirol from the USB port? I use it for recording semi-frequently. I need the XLR and 1/4" inputs when recording into Cool Edit in windows so I'm not going to dedicate it 100% to Mythtv.

The Soundblaster cards that I have in the basement junk pile were lousy when they were new but I could leave them in the Mythtv box all the time. Am I better off doing a reinstall of R5C7 or will Knoppmyth sort itself out if I just power down, insert a PCI card, and power up again?

Seeking suggestions. I'll probably start by just connecting the UA5's USB cable, but I have no idea whether Linux will freak out. I've never used anything USB with Linux (successfully, that is. Think I tried using a USB flash drive unsuccessfully with a Debian box a couple years ago)