View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:30 pm 
If most of you are like me, to help justify the cost of putting together a mythbox I had to show the wife all the benefits, plus the kicker- My kids could use the same box to play thier games, in the family roon on the TV. So being able to dual boot was a requirement!
After a full day of trying everything I could think of and almost giving up, the absolute last thing I tried worked! I never had a problem running dual boot WinXP & Redhat/Fedora on many boxes I put together in the past, but that was with grub. I don't know why, but I couldn't get Myth Manual install to install everything right, especially when trying to install to hdb1. (seperate drive). If I did auto install on hda then it installed and worked great, but then XP drive wants to be on hda. (hda=primary master, hdb=primary slave). So both wanted to be on primary master!? I tried to install Myth to hda then move it to hdb and couldn't get it to run.
Some steps may not be neccessary, but it worked for me! I haven't tried it with a partition, just seperate disks, so I don't know if it will work, I assume it will.

-Installed XP (with XP as only drive in system on Primary Master).
-Removed XP drive and put it MythDrive and auto-installed (only drive in system on Primary master)
-Put XP drive in as Primary Slave (with Myth drive as primary master)
-Boot to install CD. Type failsafe (enter) -(this may not be needed)
-From the menu select 6. Quit to get out of X to Console.
-You are running in the CD environment, so we need to mount your Myth drive:
mount /dev/hdb1 /mnt/hdb1. (Your myth system is now under /mnt/hdb1)
AND also change root environment (as if you are booted into your myth drive console):
chroot /mnt/hdb1
-change to your /etc directory and edit lilo.conf
-This is what I changed in lilo.conf
vga=normal (I am planning to have it display on tv, so changed this)
prompt (uncommented)
timeout=100 (uncommented)
other=/dev/hdb1 (added to bottom of script)
label="Windows"
map-drive=0x80
to=0x81
map-drive=0x81
to=0x80
-Save lilo.conf
-At prompt type lilo -v (maybe have to do /sbin/lilo -v )

- Try this on M$ - as Nelson (from Simpsons) would say "Hah-hah...! You can't do it cuz linux rocks and your just using a heavily modified word processor! (As he thumps you on the head!)

Hope this helps. I couldn't find a good comprehensive set of instructions on other threads, so I thought I'd create one. -By the way, the wife is very happy. Now she can pause her soaps and cook my dinner then go right back to where she left off!
-Elgordo123

Post subject: One disk approach?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:23 pm 
Any suggestions for someone with a single 200 GB disk? Honestly I think the only option at this point is to use another distribution, since Windows is too selfish to share partitions and Knoppmyth is broken for the forseeable future... if anyone has a magic solution though please give me a holler!

- Jason

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:28 pm 
Broken? How so?

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:33 pm 
Cecil,

I've posted it in a few places. (My own posting and the other people I noticed posting in that or similar threads, there are more that have mentioned it). Some example posts

http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=987
http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=534

If you try to have Knoppmyth set up a drive using the manual partition option it doesn't work. (Or at least, for more then 3 of us) Basically when you try to write the image to disk you get a message that flies by that says:

/usr/local/bin/KnoppMyth-install: line 84: exec_proc: command not found

Then you go back to the manual partition menu. You are stuck in this permanent loop. I've posted a few places, nobody has had any meaningful suggestions. (Other then buying a disk partitioning tool and trying to "cheat", or buying a second hard disk, auto-installing, and playing games to redo LILO.)

Suggestions? Do I need to switch to another distribution? I had Knoppmyth working wonderfully with my previous motherboard (I had to ship it back) when I used the auto install... and I've installed Myth under Redhat and Mandrake before and it's a slow, painful process... I don't want to go back if I don't have to!

- Jason

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 12:19 am 
why could you do an autoinstall on the other motherboard, but not this one?

Post subject: Autoinstall question
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:48 am 
I could do an autoinstall on this one too if I wanted. The difference is (since this my 3rd Myth build) I've decided I want to dual boot with Windows. (Gaming options!)

In order to do that, I have to install Windows first (done) and use the manual partition installation in Knoppmyth to install it peacefully along side. Unfortunately, the manual partition option in Knoppmyth is broken, so the options are to fix it myself (Which I will try as best as possible) or move to another distribution and build Myth the old fashioned way. (Slowly from scratch!)

Anyone out there know anything about cfdisk and/or Knoppix script installation? I'd like to learn whatever I can...

- Jason

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:08 am 
elgordo123 wrote:
If most of you are like me, to help justify the cost of
AND also change root environment (as if you are booted into your myth drive console):
chroot /mnt/hdb1

-Elgordo123

I just successfully accomplished this as well. However, In the two lines above I used hda1 instead of hdb1 as hda1 is the primary master which is where the myth drive should have loaded. So if you are getting an error saying that hdb1 does not exist or cannot be mounted use hda1.

Post subject: Dual-boot LILO mistake
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:47 pm 
I just got finished setting up a dual boot Win2k/KnoppMyth distro. It took a little finagling, but what I wound up doing was wiping the drive, then setting up all the partitions I needed with qtparted from a Linux Rescue CD.

I installed Windows to the first partition, then ran the KnoppMyth CD, with the manual install. Went through fine, apparently -- but it did not correctly run LILO. It inserted a bad line on line 2 of lilo.conf, referring to /dev/hda1. I rebooted with the rescue CD, chrooted over to hda2 (where KnoppMyth had installed), removed the offending line, and re-ran lilo. Boots and runs fine now.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:08 pm 
galgon wrote:
elgordo123 wrote:
If most of you are like me, to help justify the cost of
chroot /mnt/hdb1

-Elgordo123

I just successfully accomplished this as well. However, In the two lines above I used hda1 instead of hdb1 as hda1 is the primary master which is where the myth drive should have loaded. So if you are getting an error saying that hdb1 does not exist or cannot be mounted use hda1.

I just accomplished dual boot with two separate hardrives as instructed above. My primary master with myth was hda1 also. Thanks so much for the exact instructions.

As a side note, I did the lilo.conf modifications from xterm as a su instead of booting to the cd. Worked like a champ after a reboot.

768 meg sdram partial install on Nuv2disc
120 g maxtor HD
PVR 250 Video Capture card

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:43 pm 
I am happy this is working for you. I was SO frustrated when I was trying to get it to work. The site that showed me how to do that was the absolute last thing that I was going to try before giving up. I almost didn't do it because I was so frustrated...!

MicroAtx Case
2 PVR250's w/remote
eVGA e-GeForce mx4000 (64 Ram with Tv/Out (Svideo))
Lite-on DVD cd-rw combo
120 GB Western Digital

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:05 pm 
syversen wrote:
Cecil,
/usr/local/bin/KnoppMyth-install: line 84: exec_proc: command not found

Then you go back to the manual partition menu. You are stuck in this permanent loop.

I had something similar along these lines... I felt pretty dumb because I fixed it by just hitting the spacebar when my hd was selected for partitioning. It's already highlighted, and I am a linux newb and thought that was enough... Pressing the spacebar put an X next to the hdd, and then I was able to proceed with the manual install.

I do think this part of the knoppmyth install menu is broken, though, because you cannot quit. It asks if you really want to quit, you say yes, it loops... You have to proceed with the partition to keep the script rolling.

ANYWAY... I managed to dual boot on a single harddrive.

Here is my drive layout:
hda2 primary NTFS
hda1 primary linux
hda5 logical swap
hda6 logical cache
hda7 logical myth

The sizes of the partitions don't matter.

To swap hda1 and hda2 positions, it's not too difficult... just a bit of partition juggling to make the second one show up as hda1:
1. Create a partition (hda1)
2. Create a very small partition (hda2).
3. Now delete hda1.
4. Create a new hda1 AFTER hda2.
5. Now you can delete hda2, leaving you with free space, hda1, and more free space.
6. Recreate hda2 to take up all the space at the front of the drive.

For anyone wanting to dual boot on a single drive, here are my notes:
1. My first partition is seen as hda2, thanks to the "juggling" I outlined above.
2. Knoppmyth is installed on hda1.
3. hda2 is a FAT32 partition. I don't know why it should matter, but I couldn't make it work with NTFS.
4. Doesn't seem to matter if you install Windows before or after knoppmyth. If you install it after, it will make the windows partition active (bootable), and you must use a partition utility (such as Ranish partition manager, or the one included with knoppmyth that you can access via the manual install script) to make the linux partition active again.
5. Boot off the knoppmyth CD, and exit the menu as soon as it loads.
mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1
chroot /mnt/hda1
(this brings up a different looking command prompt)
nano /etc/lilo.conf

If it's empty, try re-installing knoppmyth (I swear I did it 5-7 times before it worked). If it's not empty, you'll see two lines near the top, something like:
VGA: <some number>
PART: blah blah blah
Just put a # in front of those two lines (which means the system will ignore them), hit control-o to save, and then control x to exit nano.

The next command is:
lilo -v
I think this makes the changes in /etc/lilo.conf take effect.

type exit again to go back to the original command prompt, then put in:
shutdown -r now
to reboot....

6. Enjoy.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:41 am 
You are genius, thank you so much, I also had just about given up playing with my drives/windows/knoppmyth!

excellent advice... though when mounting and then chrooting into your knoppmyth install I believe you made a mistake by saying mount /dev/hdb1 to /mnt/hdb1 that (if one follows your steps from the begining) is the windows drive, so you have to mount /dev/hda1 to /mnt/hda1 and then chroot into that...
thanks!!!

Post subject: Wow!?!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:43 am 
This looks like exactly what I've been looking for (thanks to ceenvee703 for pointing me here)! It could only be better if I knew what everyone was talking about (for most of it).

I am very well versed in Windows tech, and I have wanted to delve into Linux, but not being a dev, I haven't been able to justify the effort for the rewards, until I decided to look into KnoppMyth.

I need to share this computer between my kids and having it run as a PVR, so I need to dual boot from a single 80 GB HDD. I only have a little knowledge of Linux, so considering this, is this something I can pull off based on the instructions listed?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:03 am 
It wouldn't be posted if it didn't work.

MicroAtx Case
2 PVR250's w/remote
eVGA e-GeForce mx4000 (64 Ram with Tv/Out (Svideo))
Lite-on DVD cd-rw combo
120 GB Western Digital

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:19 pm 
I have followed the instructions for loading onto 2 disks, and can boot into Windows or Linux. However, when I boot into Windows I con only see the System Disk (C) in explorer. Disk Management shows both physical disks, but all of the other partitions are marked as unknown - how do I make them known to Windows? Presumably I need to add some drive mappings into LILO.CONF?

The configuration is shown as:

Disk 0 has 4 partitions that were created by the auto install, all listed as Healthy (Unknow Partition)

Disk 1 has 2 partitions that I had created when I installed Windows. C: listed as NTFS Healthy (System) and an additional partition listed as NTFS Healthy (Unknown Partition)

I certainly need to access the 2 NTFS partitions on Disk 1 from Windows, but would also like to access the Linux partitions on Disk 0.

Thanks for any help - this is my first attempt at using Linux, so please be gentle!

Mark.

Go to page 1, 2  Next