View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:48 pm 
Algenon wrote:
I have been trying to implement the WOL function, but can't even get the 24/7 server to recognise the message from my frontend/backend machine. I am trying to use the scripts at http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-11.html#ss11.5 which suggest editing the /etc/inetd.conf and /etc/services file on the 24/7 machine and use the following script.

Code:
#! /bin/bash
#this should be a command to wake your server
WAKECMD="#!/bin/sh\n /usr/local/bin/wakeMBE"
#first we need to delete all wake jobs in queue
for JOB in atq | cut -f 1 ; do
    atrm $JOB;
done
#now we read the date from 'nc'
read date;
#now set the atjob
echo -e "$WAKECMD" | at $date ;

I can't get any of this to work, I am wondering if anyone else has got WOL to work?

I accept that this is not strictly KnoppMyth stuff but any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Algenon.

Alan,

PM me with an email address where I can send along the HOWTO I pm'd you about previously. I have it ready now, but the PM system is not moving it from outbox to sent for me currently. It's about 15 pages of instructions.

The script above is almost there, but has a couple of 'issues' that prevent it from working properly. As well, there quite a bit of config on your EPIA box and Dragon that needs attention before you proceed.

Squiffy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:54 am 
Hi all,

This might be 2 years late, sorry, but I've put together a little how-to on the wiki: http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php? ... nLANRouter for setting exactly what you want up. I personally would not buy a router with 'Linux' type firmware already on it, but instead buy it with the manufacturers firmware and then flash it with Linux firmware. This might be more risky (in case of a bad flash) but at least you can ensure it comes with all the software you need (e.g. SSH). Make sure it has atleast 4MB of flash memory though as devices which don't won't store the programs, memory sizes avaliable from a link on the wiki.

Good luck,
Mythman

Running Knoppmyth R5.5 on a Compaq EVO D510 (sff) w/ P4 1.8GHz, 1GB RAM, 330GB 7200rpm Maxtor IDE HDD, XFX Nvidia GeForce 6200 (AGP low profile, p/n: PV-T44A-WANG) and Huappauge NOVA-T 500 DVB-T dual tuner PCI card.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:04 am 
mythman13 wrote:
Hi all,

This might be 2 years late, sorry, but I've put together a little how-to on the wiki: http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php? ... nLANRouter for setting exactly what you want up. I personally would not buy a router with 'Linux' type firmware already on it, but instead buy it with the manufacturers firmware and then flash it with Linux firmware. This might be more risky (in case of a bad flash) but at least you can ensure it comes with all the software you need (e.g. SSH). Make sure it has atleast 4MB of flash memory though as devices which don't won't store the programs, memory sizes avaliable from a link on the wiki.

Good luck,
Mythman

To add to this:
I've recently read about a nifty little $34 box on linuxdevices.com
http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS4514239441.html

* Processor -- Infineon ADM5120 (MIPS32)
* Memory -- 16MB RAM; 2MB flash
* Networking – 4 x LAN Ethernet ports; 1 x WAN Ethernet port
* USB -- 2 x USB Host ports
* Serial -- 1 x UART/programming port with pin headers
* Debug -- 1 x JTAG port with pin headers
* GPIO -- 13 x GPIO/LEDs
* Power -- 12V 500mA; optional adapter
* Dimensions -- 7.1 x 3.6 inches (180 x 91mm); with optional case 7.4 x 3.9 x 1.1 inches (188 x 100 x 28mm)
* Operating system -- Linux (Midge, Squidge); NetBSD

It only has 2MB flash onboard but the article says you can boot a system from a usb flashdrive. I plan on buying it myself whenever I get around to running a couple of ethernet cables.

Go to page Previous  1, 2