View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:33 pm 
Lirc setup for ATI remote wonder here: http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13254

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:51 am 
The new tv_grab_au_reg is brilliant.
The source tvguide.org.au (needs registration) is at least 10 times faster than d1 was.
The one thing I got stuck with was: the epg was 10 hours out for every channel, and no matter what I did I couldn't fix it... until I realised that if you go to setup in the frontend, there is a time offset option. It's set to 'none' by default. Change this to 'auto' and it works.

Great work with R5E50.
Disclaimer: If this post is in any way odd, it's because I'm severely sunburnt and quite woozy.

Mike

ps I'm still running R5D. This was my father-in-law's machine.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:30 am 
tjc-

Thanks for maintaining the guide, was very helpful. Other than the bind-address=127.0.0.1 in mysql's my.cnf which needed to be commented out* so that scheduled recording (and changes to it) would work, it covered everything I needed for my R5A(x) to R5E50 upgrade.

-brendan

*perhaps changing it to the static IP would have worked as well, but I'm happy with the comment out.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:42 pm 
tjc wrote:
Don't Panic! :-)
Known Issues
2) If your backend doesn't come up after an upgrade (one symptom is an empty recodings list) rebooting should cure it, as the problem seems to be transient.

I think I have the same failure sometimes. If this is happens the old file /var/run/mythtv/mythbackend.pid is exist from formally boot.

A simple change in script /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend helps (have copy and adapt from /etc/init.d/dbus)

case "$1" in
start)
PIDFILE=$RUNDIR/$NAME.pid
if [ -e $PIDFILE ]; then
PIDDIR=/proc/$(cat $PIDFILE)
if [ -d ${PIDDIR} -a "$(readlink -f ${PIDDIR}/exe)" = "${DAEMON}" ]; then
echo "$DESC already started; not starting."
else
echo "Removing stale PID file $PIDFILE."
rm -f $PIDFILE
fi
fi

if test -e $RUNDIR/$NAME.pid ; then
echo "mythbackend already running, use restart instead."
else
echo -n "Starting $DESC: $NAME"
start-stop-daemon --start --pidfile $RUNDIR/$NAME.pid \
--chuid $USER --nicelevel $NICE --exec $DAEMON -- $ARGS
echo "."
fi
;;

But the point 5 are my biggest problem at the moment => Software suspend still has some issues with certain things that don't want to restart. If you use it, keep an eye out for these.

Does anybody have ideas to solve this problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:23 pm 
Tips:
Myth2Ipod users - don't try the auto install. Instead, use the manual approach with fixes as described here:
http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... 8294#78294

If you reboot and the front-end goes directly to playing a music CD, watching a DVD, or viewing images, or shows folders like "boot", then you've got a CD or DVD in the drive. Eject it. This can happen on the initial install, if you leave the disc in.

In the backend setup, there is a GREAT new feature called "delete slowly". Use it, if you experience pauses when old shows are purged. The EXT3 filesystem recommended by the LVM writeup is slow at deleting files - and this setting helps a lot.

KWorld 110 ATSC Tuner: See Cecil's post on page 4 of this thread:
http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8695&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45
It works!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:15 am 
TJC thanks for the info.

For those of us running 5D1 with 0.20 from cecils post which upgrade path do we use auto or manual. In my case my original 5D1 install was an auto install with a manual upgrade to 0.20.

Seagate 500GB (Sata)
2x Dvico DVB-T Lite & Sony PlayTV (usb twin tuner)
TP-Link TL-WN881ND PCIe wifi card (not working)
Logitech Harmony One remote, CoolerMaster ATC-S case

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:56 am 
Site Admin
It does not matter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:06 am 
bearwood wrote:
For those of us running 5D1 with 0.20 from cecils post which upgrade path do we use auto or manual. In my case my original 5D1 install was an auto install with a manual upgrade to 0.20.

Good question. Above it says:
Quote:
This information is intended to apply whether you're doing an Auto Upgrade or a manual upgrade. (BTW - Auto Upgrade only works if you originally did an Auto Install. If you had to do a manual install you need to do a manual upgrade.

The answer as Cecil Indicates is that you can do an auto upgrade. The distinction between auto and manual install that I was making here has to do almost entirely with you disk layout, and in particular if your root partitiion and swap are in the "expected" location. Whether you've added new software or patches on top of that original install generally doesn't matter. On the other hand if you had started with an auto-install, done all the fixups required, and moved the disk to a different location on the IDE bus, auto upgrade wouldn't work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:15 pm 
I just did a clean install of R5E50 after the upgrade from R5D1 failed, and I'm really liking it so far.

I had one problem, when I uncheck the "use GUI size for playback" box the program guide no longer appears during live tv. When I esc out of Live tv mode I get a black screen and have to CTRL-ALT-Backspace.

After finding out the solution, (recheck the box), I thought I would post it here.

Using 2 PVR-150s at 720x480, A64 3200, NV 6800gs.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:15 pm 
tjc wrote:
5) The full kernel source is no longer included, however, the kernel headers needed to compile modules are. If you have a problem you may need to add some additional symlinks.

I suspect this is behind my problem with installing VMware. The install/config script produces the following:
Code:
What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running
kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include]

The path "/usr/src/linux/include" is a kernel header file directory, but it is
not part of kernel source tree.

It looks like the offending vmware script code generating this is the following:
Code:
    if (not (-r $answer . '/../Makefile')) {
      if ($source eq 'user') {
        print wrap('The path "' . $answer . '" is a kernel header file '
                   . 'directory, but it is not part of kernel source tree.'
                   . "\n\n", 0);
      }

There indeed is no Makefile in /usr/src/linux. So what can I do to get the kernel source?

Also, I notice that /usr/src/linux/linux-headers.revision contains "2.6.18-chw-13-10.00.Custom", not the actual kernel version.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:02 pm 
Where can we get the full kernel source? The nvidia binary drivers included with R5E50 are OK, but if I run the latest (9746) I can drop my CPU utilization about 10% when watching HDTV (in R5D1) so obviously I want to go with a later driver. Apparently the kernel headers aren't enough for the nvidia installer and Google knows nothing of linux-2.6.18-chw-13.deb.

-Scott Milliken

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:25 pm 
I did a clean install on both my backend/frontend and remote frontend. I've had great luck with the backend system, but the remote frontend I'm having some issues.

I'm using an FX5200 connected to DVI on my tv. I can't seem to get the resolution to change.

Below is my monitor and screen sections in xorg.conf I removed all other depths and modes, but it never changes.

Code:
Section "Monitor"
       Identifier      "Generic Monitor"
       Option   "DPMS"   "true"
       Option "UseEdidDpi" "false"
       Option "DPI" "78 x 100"
       HorizSync       30-100
       VertRefresh     50-160
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Default Screen"
        Device          "Generic Video Card"
        Monitor         "Generic Monitor"
        DefaultDepth    24
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           24
                Modes           "1024x768"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:37 pm 
samilliken wrote:
Where can we get the full kernel source?

See Cecil's post here - http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13281

Type82 wrote:
I'm having some issues

I guess it's time to repeat this request.
tjc wrote:
OBTW - As Cecil said in the R5D1 thread:
cesman wrote:
Let's not turn this into my upgrade didn't work thread.

In pursuit of that goal, I will not answer questions in this thread which do not involved an update/correction/clarification/additional information/... on the upgrade hints posting, and would request that others do the same. I'll be more than happy to give your question the attention it's due _elsewhere_, but please start or follow up on an appropriate thread for that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:23 am 
tjc wrote:
samilliken wrote:
Where can we get the full kernel source?

See Cecil's post here - http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13281

Thanks very much - I don't know how I missed that post. After a while, and many searches, one loses track of what one's searched on.

Also, thanks very much for politely pointing us in the right direction. Much appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:33 am 
I have 2 Asus C3's, low end cheap epia boxes that I am using as frontends.

One of them I added a Nvidia 5200 card a whila ago because it was plugged into a TV and I liked Nvidia's tv tweaking utility.
The other one still worked pretty well with just using the basic epia video.

After upgrading the one without the Nvidia card started skipping very badly, I did all the tweaks I could try, optimizing mem settings, changing player, none of them helped.

I downloaded the kernel, but the kernel source someone linked chokes compiling set to a via chip.

So I went ahead and bought a Nvidia 5500 card to the machine since that was the only hardware difference I figured that was the issue.

Things were just as bad which was confusing because the machines were identical except that the skipping one now had a better video card.

I did a pass through the one thats working well, and saw that SATA wasn't enabled in the bios, when I went back to the skipping machine I saw that it was enabled.
Neither machine has a SATA drive, it just was something I thought harmless to leave enabled.
I disabled SATA in the bios, and the machine came up and runs with no skips..., who would have thought.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next