View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:34 pm 
When I installed knoppmyth (R5E50) on my ASUS P5B motherboard, the built-in Ethernet port was not functional because the proper network module was not included. I temporarily installed a PCI NIC for a LAN connectoin. The Ethernet port on the MB is a RTL8111B by Realtek and by going to the website, you can download the Linux src code.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dow ... Down=false
Realtek

They also provide instruction in the README on how to make the module and install it. So I downloaded the latest version (1.05 was the version I used) and decompressed the file. This creates a r1000_v1.05 directory. Next I tried to do a "make clean modules" as it suggested. When I did this, I got this error:

Code:
make[2]: *** No rule to make target `modules'.  Stop.

So down the rabbit hole I went with trying to solve this. The steps that follow may not all be necessary, but I want to document what I tried.

I started in the forums. After looking through the forums, it became clear that in order to install the new network module, I needed to fix the source module headers or get the source and build it. I wanted to avoid building the source and started with this forum post as my guide:

http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13123
mysettopbox.tv :: View topic - R5E50 madwifi?

But, the very first command "apt-get install linux-headers-2.6.18-3-686" kept failing with this error:

Code:
apt-get install linux-headers-2.6.18-3-686
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
E: Couldn't find package linux-headers-2.6.18-3-686

Later in this post I figure out why it didn't work but I will trace all my steps because I'm not experienced enough to tell you if there is a shorter path.

Next, I used this post:

http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13404
mysettopbox.tv :: View topic - Lirc recompile on R5E50

About 7 replies into it, you will find tjc's instruction on getting the source and creating links to the source. All these steps worked fine, but when I went back to the r1000_v1.05 directory and did a "make clean modules" I got:

Code:
root@mythtv:/usr/src/r1000_v1.05# make clean modules
make -C src/ clean
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/r1000_v1.05/src'
rm -rf *.o *.ko *~ core* .dep* .*.d .*.cmd *.mod.c *.a *.s .*.flags .tmp_versions
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/r1000_v1.05/src'
make -C src/ modules
make -C /lib/modules/2.6.18-chw-13/build SUBDIRS=/usr/src/r1000_v1.05/src modules
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.18-chw-13'
make[2]: *** No rule to make target `modules'.  Stop.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.18-chw-13'
make[1]: *** [modules] Error 2
make: *** [modules] Error 2

So now the source kernel is installed but hasn't been built yet. So I think that I'll need to build it. Somewhere, I find a link to this wiki page that tells you how to do a full kernel build from the R5E50 source.

http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php? ... WareServer
KnoppMythWiki

But, if you read the R5E50 section carefully, you will find that some of the steps performed in the "LIRC recompile" forum post (specifically, remove and re-link the linux directory) need to be reversed. In other words, you need to point /usr/src/linux back to the headers. Here's what I did:

Code:
cd /usr/src; rm linux
ln -s linux-header-2.6.18-chw-13 linux

Now you can continue with the build directions given at the wiki site. After waiting ~20 minutes (YMMV) the build was complete. Now it's time to try the "make clean modules" again. But don't, you will get the exact same error as above.

Now what? After reading many more post, it dawns on me that I never did an "apt-get update". So I did this and went back to the first forum post (13123 - R5E50 madwifi) and tried to do the "apt-get install linux-headers-2.6.18-3-686". It works fine. So follow the rest of that post and set up all your symbolic links. Don't forget to read all the way down to the bottom and include the final symbolic link provide by dwaine.

Back to the r1000_v1.05 directory and perform a "make clean modules". This time you get a new error:

Code:
root@mythtv:/usr/src/r1000_v1.05# make clean modules
make -C src/ clean
rm -rf *.o *.ko *~ core* .dep* .*.d .*.cmd *.mod.c *.a *.s .*.flags .tmp_versions
make -C src/ modules
make -C /lib/modules/2.6.18-chw-13/build SUBDIRS=/usr/src/r1000_v1.05/src modules
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.18-chw-13'
  CC [M]  /usr/src/r1000_v1.05/src/r1000_n.o
/usr/src/r1000_v1.05/src/r1000_n.c:1295: error: conflicting types for 'r1000_tx_action'
/usr/src/r1000_v1.05/src/r1000_n.c:137: error: previous declaration of 'r1000_tx_action' was here
/usr/src/r1000_v1.05/src/r1000_n.c:1344: error: conflicting types for 'r1000_rx_action'
/usr/src/r1000_v1.05/src/r1000_n.c:136: error: previous declaration of 'r1000_rx_action' was here
make[3]: *** [/usr/src/r1000_v1.05/src/r1000_n.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** [_module_/usr/src/r1000_v1.05/src] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.18-chw-13'
make[1]: *** [modules] Error 2

Ouch, the rabbit hole just got deeper. In order to clear up the above errors, it's time to edit and fix the source file. Now I have done some programing off and on (more off than on) through out my professional career. I'll be the first to admit that I'm no expert; so, the edits I'm doing should be taken with a grain of caution. But, it worked for me.

Here's what to edit: First take note of the file and lines shown above. cd into the /r1000_v1.05/src directory and do this:

Code:
nano r1000_n.c
<CTRL><SHIFT><_>1295 //thats an underscore. Command to jump to line #
Comment out line 1295 with a //
delete the word "fastcall" in the line below.
<CTRL><SHIFT><_>1344
Comment out line 1344 with a //
delete the work "fastcall" in the line below.
<CTRL><o>     //to save file
<CTRL><x>    // to exit

That's it, now you can complete the realtec README instructions with no more errors. Next, do a modprobe and check that it works:

Code:
modprobe r1000
lsmod | grep r1000  // should see a line like this: r1000              19980  0
  or
ifconfig -a     // look through print out for eth0 or eth1 depending on setup

Now one final step to let the kernel know to use it on the next reboot:

Code:
nano /etc/network/interfaces

Assuming you have a different NIC running at eth0, replace all instances of eth0 with eth1 (assuming your on-board NIC is at eth1). Now reboot and you should be golden.

When I look at these directions, I wonder if you could have started with the "apt-get update" and then just use the 13123 forum post (first post mentioned above). Then skip down to the editing of the realtek src to finish the module build. Hard to say, and I don't really plan to go back in try. If you know the answer or give it a try, please post back.

Hope this helps someone out there, and a big thank you to all that post in the forum. With out the forums I would have been lost.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:01 am 
Site Admin
Thanks! Added in next release.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:39 pm 
Cecil, is this already in place with R5F1 (or am I waiting for R6)? I'm going to be attempting a reinstall on a very similar motherboard (P5B-Plus) and am wondering if I'll have to follow through with these steps, or if things should "just work".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:47 pm 
Rando,

Although I haven't tried R5F1, I did check the changelog.txt
http://www.mysettopbox.tv/CHANGELOG.txt
and the r1000 module is listed. Therefore, i'd guess that it should just work.

Also, if you check the tier2 post, you'll find a post by me that explains other issues with bringing this board up. I think most have been fixed according to the change log, but it won't hurt to have information on what might be going wrong. Furthermore, in the next day or two, I'm going to post how I got 5.1 surround working. It was relatively easy compared to the hard drive and ethernet issues.

<edited to fix link>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:06 am 
wsweier:

I see in your sig, you are now running R5F27. Have you been able to get your onboard network to work? The network on my P5B functions, but it seems to have IRQ problems (shares with the sata, but it doesn't seem to be getting the interrupts properly). I get long ping delays and transfers are really slow and bursty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:39 pm 
Greg,

Yes, it is working, but I did an upgrade to R5F27. So....I'm not sure what all the upgrade does. I did go looking through /usr/src (and other directories) and my old notes and didn't see any trace that the module build I did still exists. Maybe the upgrade replaced it.

Also, I still have a PATA drive. Not sure if that matters much.

In the end, I don't have much helpful information other than it just works for me. I use it all the time (especially for football) and I see no problems. Plus I use Samba to transfer commercial-edited/transcoded videos to my Mac and Win box with no noticeable issues.

If you think of some file or directory you want me to look in, let me know. I am far from an expert but willing to help if I can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:05 am 
I upgraded the kernel to 2.6.22 and things are working much better. It must have some fixes for the Realtek NIC.