View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:50 pm 
I bought the Viewsonic vx2235WM lcd panel from Costco. It has a native resolution of 1680x1050. I'm running a DirectTV s-video output into the Hauppauge 250 card and an Air2PC 0.2 HDTV OTA card. I have a 5200FX with driver 1.0.9746

I can run 1280x1024 but can't seem to get a Xmodline to really take advantage of my lcd native resolution at 1680x1050.

Someone here recommended PacificCables.com to get a good quality DVI cable. I read the DVI tutorial and it became obvious that Dual Link was the way to go as it supports the higher resolution single link only hanldes SXGA (1280 x 1024) while dual link handles (1920 x 1080). Well it seemed easier to throw $35 at the problem rather than spend my little bit of free time reading about pixel clocks (135Mhz for my card) and DPI. After ordering the cable over the web I had a bit of buyer's remorse. The undercover economist in myself figured, why in the world would a company market a monitor at x resoultion and then give you a cable that only supports y?

To make this long story shorter the cable that came with the monitor is indeed a single link. I didn't notice until I took it off after receiving the new one today. The single link has a diameter around the size of my pinkey while the dual is my thumb.

Now if only I could find the time to do a new xmodline.

cheers

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:39 am 
single link will do 1680x1050 fine if you're clock frequency isn't too high. most likely the dual link won't do anything for you at that resolution. check out info on the max specs for single link DVI against your monitor's specs. i had a 1680x1050 running fine on single link.

your problem more likely had to do with your xorg.conf and your modeline. search around a bit, but i had a hard time getting the nvidia card to execute my modelines as written. it would read the EDID info from the monitor and "correct" my xorg.conf instructions. the biggest problem seems to be a bug in the nvidia driver that incorrectly reports the max pixel clock setting for the card, usually resulting in forcing a 4:3 ratio resolution when you want widescreen.

the best way to fix this is to use the "IgnoreEDID" and "ExactModeTimingsDVI" options to force the nvidia card to execute your modeline exactly. search around... there's a lot more on this all over the forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:54 am 
Singlelink DVI will run a LCD monitor at 1920x1200 easily. Anything more than tho requires Dual-link (like the 30" 2560x1600's)