View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: DVD database
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 9:05 am 
I was thinking of trying my (extremely limited) hand at working out a database for DVD collections as a plugin for mythtv... maybe even finding a way of automatically looking up imdb data based on a disc read. Is there anything like this already? I don't want to go re-inventing the wheel if there is already a movie database plugin that is out there.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 9:49 am 
If you are referring to ripped DVDs or other videos, the IMDB lookup is already in /usr/share/mythtv/mythvideo/scripts/imdb.pl (on R5D1, it may have moved in newer versions).

Would this be for some type of DVD jukebox? That would be pretty neat. Or would this be something to catalog your DVD collection, without them being ripped to HD?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 8:34 pm 
I've put something together for my DVD catalog that allows me to have both on and offline media in the same place and browse both together. I wrote a script to create 10 second avi's for each offline DVD that just has a black background and "Insert disc #xxx". This way I can have one directory that houses all of my movies, even though I haven't ripped them all. If this is somehting anyone else is interested in I can post the details.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 3:57 pm 
I was referring to my offline content. I have a fairly sizable DVD collection, and I thought it would be nice to have a database for them on my myth box as well. I'm using DVD Collector on my windows machine, but that is not linux-compatible, and I thought a simple sql database with a myth-capable interface would be nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 5:34 pm 
lhassell wrote:
I was referring to my offline content. I have a fairly sizable DVD collection, and I thought it would be nice to have a database for them on my myth box as well. I'm using DVD Collector on my windows machine, but that is not linux-compatible, and I thought a simple sql database with a myth-capable interface would be nice.

Are you using MythVideo? It has an sql database, and you can lookup movie info from imdb.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 5:51 pm 
Yes... but I was under the impression mythvideo was only for online content. Is there a way to get it to hold a catalog of offline dvd's?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 12:59 am 
Doesn't this thread try the same?:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/143035

I have tried it once too, but my diskless frontends don't use a window manager making the "Insert disk xx" dialog not to come up. Never found the time to try it again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 6:26 pm 
lhassell wrote:
Yes... but I was under the impression mythvideo was only for online content. Is there a way to get it to hold a catalog of offline dvd's?

Yes, there's a couple of ways. One way is discussed in the link willem posted, I used to use a similar setup, there's a thread here somewhere where I posted the modified script I used. Now instead of using text files and the window manager I create avi files that display the disc number. This is mainly because I use Xbox Media Center now for my movies, music, and downloaded content and my old setup wouldn't work with that.

If you just want to browse your content and are not worried about disc numbers (I number my DVD's and keep them in a booklet instead of trying to keep them in alpha order or putting cases on a shelf), you can just create dummy files with a video extension (avi, mpg, etc) for each of your movies and scan them into the database with MythVideo. If you want disc numbers you'll need to use one of the two methods above. Let me know if you need more info on either one.

Edit to add: By the way, the video library features in XBMC blow away MythVideo or any other HTPC software I've tried. I still use MythTV for DVR purposes, but MythVideo can't hold a candle to the performance and feature set of the XBMC video library.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 9:32 pm 
I decided to take willem's suggestion. It's not perfect, but it works.

Thanks