View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:47 am 
I was playing around with archiving some movies for my wife and ran into some problems with creating a themed menu dvd, so I attempted a native backup to see what I would get. This allowed me to "dump" the movie in the already transcoded state no problem.

My next problem was being able to play these native backups without importing them back into the system, as that would definitely not be worth it. I was toying around with the video manager as I was reading that it was possible only to find a simple reason it was not working.

I looked around for a while for this, and please correct me on any newbie mistakes that I may have made, I have no fear of corrective criticism!

My steps:
- Go into your Setup, Media Settings, Video, General, and look for the "browse files" options (there is one for each view type I think)
- Then open a console (ctrl+x)
- change to /myth/video
- in my case there was a cdrom softlink that was mapped to /mnt/cdrom (ls -al will tell you this I think)
- to change that run "Unlink cdrom"
- make a softlink to the actual cdrom/dvd
- ln -s /myth/video/dvd /dev/dvd
- Go into your Settings again
- I think this one is in Setup, Media Settings, Video, File Types
- Add nuv if you don't have it already, I added this with Internal in the player and Default unchecked.
- Add png, and xml and check the ignore option (helps clean up the video manager)

After all that, I am able to pop in a native archive dvd, navigate to my video manager, select my dvd folder, then select the folder of the backed up movie I want to play, then select the numbered file (hey its not pretty, but it works) and voila! my movie plays just as it did off of the hard drive and I can delete it!

I use a pvr-150 so my results may not be the same as yours.

Hope this is helpful, and I will attempt to update with corrections that I am undoubtedly going to receive!

Memo - Corsair VS512MB533D2 512MB DDR2-533
Hard D - Hitachi T7K500 250GB Serial ATA
Wireless - Netgear wg311
Tuner Card - PVR-150