View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:37 pm 
Don't know if this is news or not for anyone using an xbox with XBMC for a frontend, but the latest tch binary for XBMC (as well as the latest svn build of the XBMC-for-Linux port) sees knoppmyth as a UPnP server... ie you can playback your mythtv recordings directly from XBMC, without the xbmcmythtv python script. Of course, this means you will be lacking functionality like commercial skipping etc that xbmcymythtv provides.

I love the xbmcmythtv plugin, but I've always found it on the slow side in terms of loading the interface and the recordings, whereas this method is as quick as any other part of XBMC. Knoppmyth shows up as 'Knoppmytht A/V server' if I recall correctly, once you add the mythbox's IP as a UPnP server -- and the recordings are neatly organized into folders by title, genre and a bunch of other categories I can't remember at this time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:01 pm 
I use an xbox with XMBC as my primary viewing device for my setup. I've been running the python scripts, and have also been very happy with it's performance.

The UPnP sounds nice though, especially if one transcodes to chop out commercials.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:45 pm 
Do you use the Xbox for HD?

Wondering if it works fine. I would think it would but, just curious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:54 pm 
SD only for me, i have no HD on the go in my home.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:44 pm 
My KM box is a backend only, and i run 2 xbox frontends for playback.

I am currently using R5D1 with the .19.1 version of xbmcmythtv and i have to agree its slow to load compared to the built in features of xbmc!

This upnp server setup sounds awesome. I will have to give it a try once R5Fx is out (hopefully this weekend)

datobin1: HD is a no go on the xbox, it just doesnt have the grunt to play it back. For SD though they are a brilliant frontend, and can be had dirt cheap these days

Post subject: hd not possible
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:57 pm 
As far as I know xboxes lack the horsepower for HD playback...

This is one of the purposes of the port of XBMC to linux - to allow hd playback....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:50 pm 
When I setup my xbox frontend last year I had to resort to installing Xebian and Myth because xbmcmythtv would not play my transcoded recordings and I transcode everything.

From what I could find out this was because myth used a slightly modified nuv container format. Also there was supposed to be an new mplayer.dll floating around that did play these files which I tried downloading from multiple places and every one I tried didn't work.

Do you know if this new version of XBMC will play these files. Running full blown myth does work, but it is slooooow and the menu can be buggy at times so I'd rather use XBMC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:11 pm 
What format were you transcoding to? I did at one point get the "fixed" mplayer.dll installed and workign on my xbox, I think I was transcoding to Mpg4.

DUnno how much this really helps you, I don't know that I have a copy of that mplayer.dll anymore or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:53 pm 
im thinking the same thing - why dont you just transcode to something xbmc can play? (divx for example)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:43 pm 
Right now I transcode to mpg4 using mythtranscode from the front end menu because it's all ready to go. Since I had to upgrade for Schedules Direct I've decided to start tinkering and adding stuff... encoding to Xvid will probably be one of those things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:48 pm 
tatuirovka wrote:
When I setup my xbox frontend last year I had to resort to installing Xebian and Myth because xbmcmythtv would not play my transcoded recordings and I transcode everything.

From what I could find out this was because myth used a slightly modified nuv container format. Also there was supposed to be an new mplayer.dll floating around that did play these files which I tried downloading from multiple places and every one I tried didn't work.

Just run into the same problem. One solution I have found is that you can play back these mp4 (.nuv) recordings with XBMC (and the python scripts) if you use the internal DVD player instead of Mplayer.

The main problem with this is that I cannot skip forward (thru commercials) and FFWD is unreliable and throws the audio sync out.

Would appreciate any link to the modded mplayer.dll - otherwise I'm going to have to look at the Xvid route...