View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:11 am 
If you have had commercial flagging stuttering with hardware that is more than adequate for the job, (I would say a AMD 3000 or larger) try this and report back your outcome to this list.

Code:
MythTV Backend Setup     Alt-s
MythTV backend menu>>1. General>>Job Queue (Host-Specific)>>
------Line:   CPU Usage:   Medium   (Note: change from low to medium)

I have run like this for about a week now without one problem. If my machine has any jobs that need running they now run with CPU loads in high 90’s. I have tested this a couple of times by recording 3 HD shows, watching a 1080i and commercial flagging all at once. In this scenario total CPU utilization is 100% with about 18% going to commercial flagging. I haven’t been able to do this sense R5E50.

My theory is that the latency between the MythTV CPU setting and the nice program is setting up a feed back loop oscillation. Previously even when I nice to 19 one or two stutters would happen during a show. The only thing I have noticed now is that if I am running a commercial flag at 98% CPU utilization and I start to watch a Recording / Live TV or whatever, after you push the select button it takes about 1 second longer to come to screen. Time to screen without commercial flag running is normal.

Asus K8N-E Deluxe, nForce 3- 250Gb
AMD 64 3200, 1MB L2 Cache
1024 Ram PC3200 DDR
FXF GeForce FX5200 128MB, VGA/TV/DVI
3 pcHD3000
MCE Remote / USB Receiver
Knoppmyth R5F27, Auto Install

TVBox

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:25 pm 
I thought I would do an update here. It has been almost three months since my first post. Right now as I write this my machine is recording 3 shows (two 1080i and one 720p) I am watching a 1080i previously recorded show. I have remote access right now by Mythweb and Webmin to collect information. All with no stuttering.
    60.5%--------Myth Frontend
    15.5%-------Xorg
    8.6%-------Commerical Flaging
    6.9%--------Myth Backend
    1.7%--------HD3000 Capture Card

This is a standard auto install using the standard ext3 hard drive formating. The hard drive is a run of the mill IDE 100Mbs. There is no Commercial flagging script running. Commercial flagging is still niced at 17 which is the default setting. I have the backend option enabled to start commercial detection flagging when recording starts.
Now the million dollar question. If I set the CPU usage back to "Low" dos the stuttering reappear. The answer is yes.

In the practice of full disclosure during this period of time I have had two or three instances where the screen has frozen for a couple of seconds. When I tracked this down threw the logs it has always happened when Transcode has been running. During these occurrences it appears that some form of house keeping was also running. To put this in perspective I Commercial Cut and Lossless Transcode over 50% of all my recorded shows.

TVBox

Post subject: CPU Usage Settings
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 3:27 am 
CPU Usage Settings
I am collecting information on the Mythtv back end "CPU Usage" settings for the new KM version. If you are using this setting to help quench commercial detection and transcoding stuttering problems please post your experiences good or bad. We are trying to fine where the cutoff points are for different machine speeds are verses low, Medium, High settings. We really need information from slower machines to find where the medium setting drops off to low.

Setting location in R5F27 is
(Alt S).........>>MythTV backend menu>>1. General>>Job Queue (Host-Specific)>>
------Line: CPU Usage:

Setting location in R5.5
(Alt S).........>>MythTV backend menu>>1. General>>Job Queue (Backend-Specific)>>
------Line: CPU Usage:

Information like machine size, CPU Usage settings you are using. Also we need you to post your > cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep bogo

For a accurate test make sure you do not have babysit_commflag.sh running if you have it installed.

Thanks
TVBox

Last edited by TVBox on Thu May 08, 2008 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 3:33 am 
AMD Athlon 3200+
CPU Usage setting........Low.......(will cause stuttering)
CPU Usage setting........Medium.......(This is the setting I use)
CPU Usage setting........High.......(no stuttering but control and remote request are annoyingly slow)
CPU loading with no problems...........95 - 99%
Code:
> cat /proc/cpuinfo  | grep bogo
bogomips   : 4020.76

AMD Athlon 3800+ 2X
CPU Usage setting........Low.........(never tried it on this setting) (will do some testing)
CPU Usage setting........Medium......(had no problems so I went to high so process finish faster)
CPU Usage setting........High.......(This is the setting I use)
CPU loading with no problems...........95 - 99%
Code:
> cat /proc/cpuinfo  | grep bogo
bogomips   : 4003.00
bogomips   : 3999.86

TVBox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 10:37 pm 
First the hardware
ECS K7SOM+
Onboard AMD Duron 1200 "factory tuned" to 1800
512 + 128 RAM
EVGA MX4000 PCI 128MB Svideo out
PVR150
R5F27

Code:
 cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep bogo
bogomips        : 2390.76

For the test I started a commflag job from the recording sub menu, started a recording, then watched the recording after the commflag reached 10%. I averaged the values from top running via ssh. Backend status during recording was always aroung 3%

Low CPU setting
.....................record+comm........record+comm+watch......reniced to 19
CommFlag..........44%........................41%.............................14%
Xorg..................nil............................25%.............................38%
Frontend............nil............................35%.............................31%
Frames/sec........46............................45................................35
Stutters untill reniced to 19 then ran fine.

Medium CPU setting (the one I use)
CommFlag..........70%.........................20%
Xorg...................nil............................38%
Frontend.............nil............................40%
Frames/sec.........90............................40
Normaly runs fine at nice 17, stutters only when refreshing mythweb status page or mythfilldatabase is running.

High CPU setting.
CommFlag..........93%..........................28%
Xorg..................nil..............................35%
Frontend............nil..............................35%
Frames/sec........96..............................57
Was running at nice 0, stuttered real bad.

Let me know if you want any more info. And if you find me a copy of R5.5 I'll let you know how that works. :)