View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:35 am 
My Infrared Keyboard is the LiteOn AIRBOARD
The Airboard is a Infrared Wireless Keyboard with a built in Joystick mouse. I taught some of the infrared commands from my Airboard to a learning remote!

Here is a link to a seller of the Airboard.
I can't say if it's a good place to buy one.
(Cuz I got mine on ebay.)
http://www.digitalconnection.com/Produc ... sk7100.asp

I'm using a Philips Magnavox Universal Learning Remote that controls up to 7 devices. It's very possible that this setup will also work with the new Philips 8 device remote. Model #PMVDR8

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:29 am 
They claim 23 foot range. Do you see that kind of performance?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:21 pm 
davem wrote:
They claim 23 foot range. Do you see that kind of performance?
Sorry I can't test that out, but it's all setup and would be a tough move. :D But it's a great keyboard for sure. I can even kick back and bounce IR off the walls in my room. Seems to work at any angle. Not as good with the Philips Remote. For that you need line of sight for sure. The claim made about Battery life is true. I'm working on my 3rd month with the 1st set.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:55 pm 
I went this same route except with a Radio Shack 15-2103 and was very happy with it - until I ran out of memory...the remote only seemed to learn about 6 keys - which obviously wouldn't cut it since I would like number keys! :?

Anyway, did you have more success with your remote?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:24 pm 
Yeah, the Philips Remote can only learn 7 commands.
But I still find it very usefull.
I found you can make it around the entire myth menu system.
I just programed the 7 keys I use most.

UP - DOWN
RIGHT - LEFT
ENTER - ESCAPE

For the seventh I was using "I" for information, but now I like to use "M" so I can edit cutlists with the remote.

At first I was also thinking no number keys was a big drawback. But after becoming somethig of a avid MythTV user I find myself watching mostly recorded shows. Number keys are good for channel surfing which I'm not doing much of anymore. I keep the keyboard handy for working outside of MythTV. (Like working NUVEXPORT in a xterm window.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:08 pm 
I just ordered a Lite On ir keyboard from newegg.com.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 114&depa=0

And I'm thinking about getting this remote here, what do you think?
http://www.remotecentral.com/weemotedv/index.html

I know it's a kids remote but it looks perfect for a myth box...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:52 pm 
The keyboard works very well, I've got two of them. I wouldn't be happy with the remote, there are not enough buttons. I like to have a page up/down, vol up/down, menu, guide, info, left right up down, enter, ffw, frew and probably more, that's off the top of my head. I count 14 listed there and only 9 on that remote.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:38 pm 
Good point, I'll have to think about that.

I was thinking I would use the play button as the play/pause button, the stop and pause button as page up & down, I think I'd be happy using the arrow keys for video navigation, I prefer the quick skip to ff/rev, and then use the m key for the menu, which I could use to get to the program guide and such.

The big deal is the volume though, if it had volume I'd be all over it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:26 pm 
That keyboard seems to be discontinued, but I am using the ack-573 keyboard with built-in trackball and am very happy with it. The trackball is a little flaky, but what you really want it for is the keyboard and ir receiver. Be careful, it is also marketed by Adesso and they charge $30 more for it. I picked it up for around $35.

My learning remote that came with my stereo receiver (Marantz RC-18SR) learns the codes just fine. Only press the keyboard button once when learning the code, though, otherwise it will learn multiple keypresses!

Shawn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:35 am 
Ok, I did a little searching and I think I found a pretty sweet remote.

It claims "You can store up to 50 buttons each for three different remotes." And get this, it looks just like an ATI Wonder Remote.

Its made by X10 and the model number is: UR74A

Search around ebay, they seem to be selling them there for a decent price. Also, check out these guys for some cheap, nice looking wireless (IR) keyboards.

Here is a pic of how I have my remote setup:
Only thing I noticed was that after teaching it how to control my tv I could not program many more buttons under the TV setting, so I had to program all the PVRs controls under the VCR setting but it does work freaking great!

512MB PC133 RAM
GeForce 4 MX400 PCI (Using S-Video Out)
200 Gig Hard Drive
Happauge PVR-250MCE
nforce2 motherboard

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:39 am 
A friend of mine gave me his Lite-On IR keyboard, which works great on my KnoppMyth system. However, my Philips learning remote (not the same one mentioned by an earlier poster) doesn't appear to be able to learn its codes.

Does anyone know if the Solidtek IR keyboards use the same codes? I see the keyboards are cosmetically different from the Airboard; just wondered if I might have better success with teaching a universal remote with the other, or if they're the same under the skin.

My motherboard also has IR support; I'm considering ordering an Actisys adapter and seeing whether I can get Lirc to work with it as an alternative approach.

Thanks,

Charles Green

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:55 pm 
I forgot about this thread, here with an update.

Ended up with a refurb Sony RM-VL900 for $27 and it is great. I have no experience with lirc and the hauppauge remotes but I can't see them being cooler than this remote. Does all of myth's functions, controls tv and stereo, and I also have a seperate mapping for dvd playback controls as they are different than myth standard.

Here is a review:
http://www.remotecentral.com/vl900/index.html

That's it, go knoppmyth!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:26 pm 
I use this remote:
http://www.ofausa.com/remote.php?type=URC%209960

It is expensive, but it is the only remote I've found that controls every single thing in my home theatre setup. It has enough IR learning memory to completely learn all of the IR keyboard commands including numbers. I programmed my Mythtv to the AUX setting, which has all of the buttons on the remote displayed including page up and down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:13 pm 
seant, on this remote can you program they keys and name them whatever you want or do they have pre-installed templates. This would come in handy instead of having a cheat sheet on the back of my remote. Also, where did you get this remote?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:56 pm 
I have been using the RM-vl900 and the rm-vl700 remote for a while: great remote. I have not had any problems with it running out of space to learn functions.

Also if you are a Shaw cable customer some of the remotes they give out now have learning capability.

Craig

Go to page 1, 2  Next