View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:36 am 
If you have a "slow" system you may find that mythtv-setup only gives you access to a TV grabber for North America.

This is a known problem with mythTV 0.21 and relates to a timeout - the tv_find_grabbers takes too long to scan the system to find available TV grabbers scripts (see mythTV tickets 2559 and 5375).

The simple fix* is to delete (or move out of the way) unnecessary TV grabber scripts from /usr/bin.

So in the UK I keep tv_grab_uk_* and move some of the others into /usr/bin/tv_grab_various directory (which I had previously created).

** Actually it's even simpler than the above - if you chmod -x an unwanted TV grabber script it isn't then found when searching for available grabbers. This way you get to keep all grabbers in case you need them later!

Hope this helps,
Simon

*the not so simple fix is to bump up the timeout value in one of the source files and then recompile mythTV! (see mythTV changeset 12491).

Edit 1: Even simpler way found of "removing" unwanted grabbers
Edit 2: Added URLs to mythTV tickets and changeset

Last edited by simonflood on Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:24 pm 
BTW - For those reading the R5.5 Hints this is a perfect example of a Phase 2a intervention. If this turns out to be a common problem I'll add a pointer to this thread, detailed step by step instructions would also help to incline me in that direction. ;-)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:01 am 
tjc wrote:
BTW - For those reading the R5.5 Hints this is a perfect example of a Phase 2a intervention. If this turns out to be a common problem I'll add a pointer to this thread, detailed step by step instructions would also help to incline me in that direction. ;-)

Sorry didn't think to post a procedure earlier, just wanted to make people aware of a possible problem.

Anyway here's now a real simple way of "removing" unwanted TV grabber scripts during phase 2a of install (ie. before logging in as root to configure KnoppMyth).

When prompted to Please provide the root Password: do NOT enter it just yet!

Instead press [Alt]+X and enter the following
Code:
su

When prompted for Password: enter the root password.

Now enter
Code:
cd /usr/bin
chmod -x tv_grab_*

This makes all TV grabber scripts unavailable. Now for the TV grabber script(s) you want to use enter
Code:
chmod +x name_of_script

where name_of_script is the name of the script in the form tv_grab_... For a list of all available TV grabber scripts enter
Code:
ls -la tv_grab_*

Note: it's easier to remove the execute flag from all scripts and then add it back to the one(s) you want than to remove it from individual scripts one at a time!

When finished press [Ctrl]+D twice and continue the install (or do other phase 2a tasks).

Hope this helps,
Simon