View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:02 pm 
manicmike wrote:
If you get a bit annoyed with the pauses watching TV when deleting old shows, here is a good tip for an auto-install.

There's a "delete files slowly" option in MythTV that will probably accomplish the same thing, at least it does on a Dragon 2.0.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:29 pm 
That definitely made a difference with my machine (R5F27), but I think it still gets a tad jittery at times when deleting files. I think I will be trying XFS when I upgrade to R5.5 (hopefully next week).

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:14 pm 
Human wrote:
manicmike wrote:
If you get a bit annoyed with the pauses watching TV when deleting old shows, here is a good tip for an auto-install.

There's a "delete files slowly" option in MythTV that will probably accomplish the same thing, at least it does on a Dragon 2.0.

Where is the 'delete files slowly' in 5.5? I'm not seeing it in the (1.General) Setup like it used to be, did I miss it or was it moved?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:30 pm 
It's still there, 3 pages in under General...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:11 pm 
tjc wrote:
It's still there, 3 pages in under General...

Oh, I didn't see it the first 100 times I've been thru that page. It's so close to the other option and check box, maybe it's a theme thing but it's hard to see and I was looking for it... :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:28 am 
Human wrote:
manicmike wrote:

It doesn't do the same thing Human. xfs is simply a much better FS and deletes the files in a tiny amount of time without any noticeable performance hit. Really, it is much more efficient as well. The delete files slowly just slows down the inefficient ext3 process.

Cheers

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:55 pm 
Human wrote:
manicmike wrote:
If you get a bit annoyed with the pauses watching TV when
deleting old shows, here is a good tip for an
auto-install.
There's a "delete files slowly" option in MythTV that will
probably accomplish the same thing, at least it does on a
Dragon 2.0.

On my 5F27 system The "delelte files slowly" option just spread
out the pausing over a longer period of time. Instead of
halting for 20 seconds, my system would periodically pause for
3-5 seconds for the next minute or so. Switching to XFS
comletely eliminated pausing and crashing when programs were
deleted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:55 pm 
Ok, I stand corrected :) Do the people using XFS see any reason at all to continue using ext3 for /myth? Does it play nice with LVM and storage groups? (The only two things I could think of, off the top of my head, that would matter, assuming it's working fine for HDTV recording, commercial flagging, transcoding, and deletion.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:54 pm 
Human wrote:
Ok, I stand corrected :) Do the people using XFS see any reason at all to continue using ext3 for /myth? Does it play nice with LVM and storage groups? (The only two things I could think of, off the top of my head, that would matter, assuming it's working fine for HDTV recording, commercial flagging, transcoding, and deletion.)

Have to say I've only tested on a single disk FE/BE machine (well, five, all of them Dragons) and the results are the same every time: the pauses are gone. xfs may not have been the default for /myth in the past because earlier kernels didn't support it out of the box, but now it's always compiled in. Guess we should make the leap (well, more of a baby step, I guess).

Anyone have LVM and storage groups want to test it? I've Googled a lot about filesystems and can't see anything to contradict this.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:49 pm 
I have Storage Groups set up and they are all xfs volumes. No problems at all.

Britney

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:15 am 
With the addition of storage groups, is there any need to worry about LVM support?

I would also be happy with XFS for the /myth default.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:04 pm 
Human wrote:

I use XFS for /myth and it works really well, no troubles, performance is very good, most recording is done via firewire for a Motorola DCT-6200 (mostly HD) or an HDHomeRun. Huge files are handled with no problem.

Also use XFS for an LVM (2.1TB) on a Mandriva box that acts as my media server (music and video). The problem with XFS and LVM is not that you can't extend it; you can. You just can't shrink it. So if a drive is starting to fail (I've had this happen twice in the last two years), you have to replace it with a drive of similar size (bigger is OK, smaller is not). Other file systems will allow shrinking an LVM; not XFS.

I managed to rescue the failing drive both times by using Ghost for Linix (G4L).

-sTv

Drives: 500Gb IDE; IDE DVD-RW
Mobo: eMachines
Tuners (Analog): PVR-250
Tuners (Digital): DCT-6200 Motorola Cable Box, HDHomeRun (OTA + cable)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:19 pm 
I use JFS on my /myth partition. I have read that XFS uses more CPU than JFS with similar results. It works well for me and has for YEARS.

nVidia 7300GT - DVICO PCI Remote - R6
Wifey loves it more than me.
--

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:15 am 
Add another happy user of XFS--I recently had to rebuild due to a dead hard drive, and finally made the plunge to XFS. The process to reformat was very, very easy and quick, and has made a tremendous difference. Like everyone else has said, the whole thing feels snappier now. I'll certainly be formatting /myth to XFS on any future installs, and think it's good that it is going to be default in R6...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:17 am 
How about using the "noatime" mount option in /etc/fstab (to stop file access times from being written)? Does this also help performance with XFS like it does EXT3?

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next