View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:36 pm 
I'm not sure why more of you aren't running your MythTV boxes as speakers for a computer with iTunes - I don't keep anything but my recordings on my media center box, and I like to control my music from an iTunes Remote on my iphone. Airfoil speakers works great for this...when it works.

Anyhow, here's the saga of how I got Airfoil working. For this you will need:

-Latest Airfoil (registered! If it works, it's well worth the $25).
-Airfoil speakers for Linux (a well meaning if very out of date app)
-a LOT of patience.

First, I won't get into the ALSA vs OSS debate, but suffice to say that if you want to make Airtunes work, you'll have to get a working ALSA config for your sound card. LinHES seems to prefer OSS, so do what you have to to make your sound card work. It's ugly, so I won't get into it.

Next, let's download Airfoil Speakers. Now, for this you'll have to downgrade Mono to 2.0-1. Anything newer will break (yeah, eww, it's old). You can find older versions of Mono for Arch Linux from:

http://arm.kh.nu/search/index.php?a=32& ... &testing=1

It's going to ask for libgdiplus - make sure to have pacman grab that too. It can be the most current version.

Finally, it depends on libjpeg v6. This is a huge problem as most of the western world appears to have upgraded to v7, at least since Arch started taking off. Not finding a package, I decided to have a symlink:

ln -s /usr/lib/libjpeg.so /usr/lib/libjpeg.so.62

And presto! It worked.

If this has helped you, please post and say so - I spent many an hour crawling through ugly Mono debug screens and mailing lists, so the satisfaction of knowing someone else out there was struggling with the same issue and found solace in this will make me feel like it wasn't just for me :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:19 pm 
I killed my R5F27 setup with my sloppy attempt at getting Airfoil to work. The mess I had created prompted me to finally upgrade to R5.5
In the end I just ran a long cable around the walls and under the carpet to my desktop/iTunes pc in the study.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:21 pm 
It might be just as well. Now avahi won't restart - crud :(

I hate playing package management roulette, but darnit, I was so close to getting this sucker to work :)