View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:33 am 
Hi All,

BACKGROUND
I am starting to use the Import DVD option on MythTV and I had an interesting problem that I want to share, as well as the solution.

Note: Before importing DVD's, it is important that you make sure you can play a DVD first.

It is assumed that you have successfully used the DVDrip utility. If not, this post does not address DVDrip problems.

THE PROBLEM
After successfully ripping a DVD, the next step is to do a scan for the new video file so that the database gets updated.

Goto
Quote:
Home --> Setup/Utilities --> Video Manager

MythTV will automatically initiate a scan of the system for new video files.

When I first did the scan after a successful rip, more than 30 files appeared in the list. Many of these files had strange names that included both letters and numbers. It was all greek to me....I couldn't delete these files and I didn't know why they were appearing.

After completing the scan, I then went to Home --> Watch Media --> Videos and those 30+ files appeared in the list. I couldn't play these files, and I was frustrated as to why they appeared automagically.

After playing around with the Import DVD for several weeks, it finally dawned on me....

The reason the 30+ files appeared after doing a scan was because the Video scan utility scans both the hard drive and whatever is in the CDROM/DVD drive and imports whatever it finds into the MythTV database.

THE SOLUTION
After I realized what is causing the 30+ files to appear, it didn't take long for me to realize the solution. The solution is simply this....

After completing the DVDrip step, remove the DVD disk from the DVD drive before initiating the scan.

Hope this helps others...

Dr. Hood

CPU: AMD Sempron 3000+ (1.8 Ghz)
RAM: 1024 Mb
Videocard: Radeon 9500 (64 Mb)
TV Tuner Card: PVR-350
Harddisk: WD160 Gb + Max 300 Gb