View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Reanme file for kicks?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:48 pm 
stratmancj wrote:
i got it working pretty far myself by using the wget command ... it detects my box as R5Beta7 and it tries to download a script that is specific to that version. it tries to dl "R5Beta7-pvr350.pl" and that file is not on the server yet if you look in the directory:

http://dc1.snapperworld.net/files/mythtv/

i guess snapperdragon is working on it right now

I'm at work, so i can't play right now, but have any of us been brave enough to rename R5Alpha30.2-pvr350.pl to R5Beta7-pvr350.pl to see what might happen? It seems like it's worth a try (at least, i was planning to try it, but i've never been accused of being a smart cookie, either).

As I peruse the perl script.. i wonder if it would work.. it would at least be fun to watch it crash...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:13 pm 
i assume that there are some big changes that have to be made if it is taking him a while to release the new script so i think i will wait till the new script is released.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:30 pm 
You almost don't need a script for this one. Its pretty simple ... the instructions are Here.

If you 'sort of' have a clue what is going on .. just go to the document listed above and you can probably figure out how to fix it .. if you don't you may want to read on and then go to that document where instructed below.

Specifically you need to follow the following steps (Yes I know the numbering appears off but it is to match that in the linked document):

Installation
Section A For R5A12 (and R5B7), Log in as root, and perform the following:

1) Edit /etc/mythtv/modules/ivtv

Quote:
Append to the install ivtv line:
; /sbin/modprobe ivtv-fb; /sbin/modprobe lirc_i2c

and append to the remove ivtv line:
&& /sbin/modprobe -r ivtv-fb && /sbin/modprobe -r lirc_i2c

[from the] Section A For R5A22 and later, Log in as root, and perform the following
1) Download the xwindows ivtv driver from the internet

Quote:

2) Unzip the driver you just downloaded

Quote:
bunzip2 ivtvdev_drv.o.bz2

3) Install the driver you just downloaded

Quote:
install -m 0444 ./ivtvdev_drv.o /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/

4) Reboot. This so that in the following sections everything is loaded and you can get the information out of the log files that you need for the remander of the configuration.

5) Now, goto section B in the above linked webpage (where you click Here) and minimally follow steps 1 - 4 (Once again, in the 'B' section of the above linked webpage).

Good Luck,
Bruce

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:29 pm 
No, no big changes...I just have not been paying attention too much lately and got surpised by a new release.

I hope to have something ready within a few days. If what ctrl.G syas is true, then it should be pretty straight forward for me and then those that don't like to mess with all the settings can let the script do it for them again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:20 am 
Yeah, it was kinda a eureka moment, actually. But it was related to persistance and SnapperDragon's script, not any brillance on my part.

I will say that the monitor continues to display the crazy wrap-around text, and does not refresh - at least not after 5 days :) I've been ssh'ing into the box and using mythweb for configuration (mostly). Would still be nice to have the monitor display something other than distorted system messages, but the tv-out is working fine. I think it's related the fact I'm using onboard video, but I'm not claiming to be actaully right :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:12 am 
Fidelis wrote:
I will say that the monitor continues to display the crazy wrap-around text, and does not refresh

The wraping text is quite normal and isn't hurting anything. I'm confused what else do you want to be displayed on the video output you told linux not to use? If you want you can setup your XF86Config-4 file for two displays.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:36 pm 
All I wanted was to have the frontend mirrored - not to play videos or any content, just to do setup tasks and the like.

As to your comment, I was unaware I told Linux not to use that display, and I wasn't bashing Linus, Knoppix, or the script. I have read that you can set up two displays using XF86Config-4, but the instructions I've seen posted everywhere have been for nvidia cards, not onboard video.

I am unaware as to whether this is possible with onboard. I do realize mythweb gives you most of the abilities to alter settings, but I wanted more control via my monitor - and xming lags incredibly. If I can do this simply by editing the XF86Config-4 file, then I would be happy to know the method.

Post subject: WORKS
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:56 pm 
I succeeded in using the existing scripts to work with the R5B7 release. Here's how.

- run 'perl /usr/local/bin/getpvr.pl'

Due to the current password requirements, you won't be able to pull down the latest script.

- When prompted "Does the URL look like a correctly formated URL (y/n)", anwser 'no'

- when prompted to enter the url, enter 'http://dc1.snapperworld.net/files/mythtv/pvr.pl' (no quotes of course)

That will download the pvr.pl script. Run it.

- perl pvr.pl

It will then state that the detected version is R5 Beta 7 and ask if it is correct. Answer 'no'.

When prompted to select a supported version, select option #7, 'R5A30.2'. That will download the needed script.

Now launch the script, 'perl ./R5Alpha30.2-pvr350.pl -i'. Once it runs through the script it'll reboot. Once reboot, log back in and run the script again.'perl ./R5Alpha30.2-pvr350.pl -i'.

Although the screen will go haywire, wait about 30 seconds, press enter and type reboot. It should again reboot in a about 10 seconds or so and when it comes back up TV-out should be working though there will be no sound. Here's what you do to fix the sound.

FIXING SOUND

ssh into the box as root and edit the file 'etc/mythtv/modules/ivtv' and remove the part that says "simple=1". Save the file and reboot one last time. Once it comes back up, you should now be up & running.

Proto

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 pm 
Proto, 1st off let me say THANK YOU! I did your walk through and it worked perfectly. I haven't the slightest idea of what it did, but it worked. Prior to running this all I would get was an error saying "unable to initialize video". Now its working nicely.

One follow up question from a N00b... How can I set my screen size? It seems now that I'm using the TV-Out on the 350 card it's a little too big. Anyway I can scale that back down to fit my TV?

thanks mucho!

Hats off to all your KnoppMyth guys, I threw the CD in this afternoon and a few hours later I have a working PVR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:56 am 
I fixed that before but I can't remember how off the top of my head. I do recall it being a manual process that involved a GUI based tool you launch from the X console. Very much of a trial & error process. Let me get back toyou on that.

--Proto

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:43 am 
shfaxx wrote:
How can I set my screen size? It seems now that I'm using the TV-Out on the 350 card it's a little too big. Anyway I can scale that back down to fit my TV?

You can adjust the size of mythfrontend in the setup menus. But you can't adjust the size of the over scan of X desktop when using the pvr-350's frambuffer diver. I wish there was a way also.

Post subject: gui offset
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:32 pm 
Well, what I do is to modify the settings in the mythconverg database directly using this sql script:

Code:
use mythconverg;
update settings set data=15 where value='GuiOffsetY';
update settings set data=25 where value='GuiOffsetX';
update settings set data=668 where value='GuiWidth';
update settings set data=450 where value='GuiHeight';

If you save the above to a file "screen.sql" and then do this:

Code:
mysql -u mythtv -p < screen.sql

it should make the settings. Then just do "/etc/init.d/gdm restart" to restart the GUI. Do this from a remote ssh shell. Keep repeating the above two commands until you get the desired results.

The settings above work for my 27" RCA tube tv.

Set the upper left corner first using the Offset values, then adjust the Height/Width until you get the bottom right where you need it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:13 pm 
I've updated my script to include R5 Beta 7 support if you missed the updated first post on this thread. The sound works too :)

Post subject: The Script
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:57 pm 
Thanks again for building this script. Really helps out the Linux Noobs like myself. I just ran it and it all seems to be working. Going to try it on the big TV a bit later!! :-) :-) :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:30 am 
I used this script yesterday to set up my 350's TV-out. It's worked for me in the past on R5A12 and R5A22, but now I'm not getting any sound. I checked /etc/mythtv/modules/ivtv and the line "simple=1" is not there. Anyone else having problems or know what to do?

Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next