View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:13 pm 
In fluxbox, the default window manager in KnoppMyth, the way to get things to run automatically upon login is to put them in ~/.fluxbox/apps as [startup] entries. If you look at this file there are a couple of entries there by default to disable the screensaver, and to start up the front end.

I needed some other things to happen as well, so I created a script. Since I was going to be executing the script, I decided to move the startup entries from the apps file to my startup script and then just have one startup entry in the apps file to run the script. Here's what the startup entry now looks like from ~/.fluxbox/apps:
Code:
[startup] {~/startup.sh}

And here's what my ~/startup.sh looks like:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
#disable screen blanking
xset -dpms s off
#start up an xterm to alt-tab to w/o exiting myth
xterm &
# Load nVidia driver custom settings
nvidia-settings --load-config-only &
#start up knopp-myth
/usr/local/bin/KnoppMyth-run

In addition, I've got an xterm starting up and being put into the background, that way I can alt-tab to it without having to exit the frontend. Also i've got nvidia-settings restoring my display config, for overscan, etc.

No real advantage to this other than it's a bit more elegent perhaps. If you wanted to do some more sophisticated things on start up, the script could accomodate that, where the fluxbox config file by itself might not. But mostly this keeps you from having to customize specifically to fluxbox, so you could change window managers if you wanted, and you would just have to tell that window manager to run startup.sh on login.