View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Looking for tweaks
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:42 am 
I finally got knoppmyth running using the hardware listed below. My card was not recognized completely/correctly at boot time until I did a bttv card=78. I do get a monochrome picture and out-of-sync sound. The picture looks like the old days when vertical sync was way off... ie there are 2 images offset vertically about 1 inch. I suspect the installed XF86
configuration but I havn't the foggiest notion where to start.
Can someone point me to XF86 configuration help for mythtv.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:12 am 
http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... sis+pundit
the thread is quite old now, but it has a link to the site where the sis binary drivers are, and some of the options for the config file.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:25 pm 
WOW !!! I've always been convinced XF86 was written by persons from another planet...
I've looked and am convinced I 'll never make it work <<GGG>>> I have made some progress by violating a baic software rule.... I copied XF86Config-4 from a Debian
unstable to my mythtv system. I now have a full screen color picture..... downside is no sound and it won;t change channels. My rationale for that action was I got a good color picture using XAWTV ... Xawtv does a decent job in my mythtv system which proved to me that my hardware environment is adequate and my card does work. Just have to get the right parameters in the right place. Will be back.

Thanks for the help and advice

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:52 pm 
copying an XF86Config-4 file from a debian unstable system is actually quite sensible as knoppmyth is 90% based directly on debian unstable. I don't however see how a change in XF86Config-4 file could possibly affect sound, or channel changing.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:58 pm 
Code:
alias char-major-89 i2c-dev
alias char-major-81 videodev
alias char-major-81-0 bttv
options bttv card=78  tuner=2

Above is what is in my /etc/mythtv/modules/bttv for the same Kworld video catpure card you have.

My onboard sis sound card would not work well (scratchy/tinny sound) so I disabled it in the bios and dropped in an ancient Ensonci PCI sound card and everything works real good. I tried a cheap ass crystal media soundcard before the Ensoniq and it worked terrible . Something about the line in on these soundcards in linux will not record correctly from the BTTV card.

You have to listen to the sound from the OUT port on the sound card or it will be out of sync. (sound out of the bttv card hooks to the line in on the sound card)

The remote works reasonably well on my Kworld card too.

Oh, the setup in my signature is from the first box I built, my second box has the bttv card in it on a k7s5a MB. The onboard sis sound works fine with a pvr 250 (my first box) becasue the pvr 250 does not need to use the line in on the sound card.

Good luck.

768 meg sdram partial install on Nuv2disc
120 g maxtor HD
PVR 250 Video Capture card

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:18 am 
Thanks guys... Card is working and display is full screen in color.

I'm working on the various functions... most are not working... probably due to my ineptness.. The install stuff seems to have worked... downloaded the data for the guide and the info does show and am able to change channels. However, when I enter an "M" to bring up the guide , mythtv crashes with a segment fault. I did manage (somehow <<G>> to record a few minutes of CNN. Upon playback the picture was OK but no sound. This thing is a VERY big candy store.... Still exploring... Will be back when I get down to concentrating on a particular problem. Watching the Labor Day ads for an AGP video display card...

Thanks for the help and patience...