View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Hollywood + / DXR3 tip..
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:57 pm 
Just a quick fix for this setup for using the holywood+ to show video on the TV when in mplayer..

Normally myth launches a seperate process, which renders the keyboard useless as the focus is still on myth and not mplayer. The only way to kill the video stream was to go into the shell and kill the process..

Quick fix.. in the video settings, just use the following for the player:

xterm -e /usr/bin/mplayer %s

make sure your settings are right in /etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf for the video output device and so on so forth.

I've upgraded the mplayer dist that came with KnoppMyth so it now resides in /usr/bin instead of /usr/local/bin so i could use it with my DXR3

now i can do full mplayer commands while the video is playing, and launch / kill videos on demand..

i'm mostly using myth for a video jukebox right now, as i don't have a good encoding card nor near enough horsepower.. (celeron 900)

-- WheatKing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 10:09 am 
well that's a very interesting setup you have there. Actually with that hardware a celery 900 should be more than enough horsepower if you get the pvr250. I was curious how well the dxr cards would integrate with everything. that would be an easy solution to all the people who want to throw a frontend on a cheap box with a pvr250 in the backend that way the dxr would handle the hardware decode of the mpeg2 file and wouldn't require much of a cpu.

Although this has just been speculation. Have you tried playing back a .nuv through the dxr card? I was wondering if mythvideo player could use it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 11:44 am 
DXR3 works pretty good actually.. i'm quite surprised.. If it's being fed straight mpeg1/2 video it takes very little resources..

mplayer has a video overlay for other formats.. i'm sure NUV will be fine, but haven't tested it yet. I can play divx/mpeg4/wmv all though the dxr3 using the lavc overlay (-vop lavc).. this takes considerable horsepower and some of my divx flic's drop frames and just can't keep up on the celery.. most in normal tv quality video are great.. some dvd rips i have that are high resolution don't exactally work so well..

I now have a athlon 2000 or something a buddy gave me.. just got it last night and haven't had time to play with it.. but that will make a huge difference. i'd love to get a pvr 250/350.. but i'm stuck with the kworld 868RF-PRO card i have for a while now.

Being that i have the DXR3, computer stuff stays on the monitor, tv stuff on the TV.. be intersting if i could export the video, and then get myth frontend back into focus so i could display mythweather/news/web on the monitor while the video was playing on the TV.

-- WheatKing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 4:39 pm 
I guess I was just wondering about tv playback, because mythtv uses its own video player to playback livetv or recorded tv programs. It does not use mplayer, so I didn't know if the mythtv video player supported the dxr3, and it kinda sucks that it's just the video playing through it, as it kinda defeats the purpose of having a settop box if you have to have a monitor sitting by your tv. I don't guess they have a framebuffer driver for it or anything like that like they do for the pvr350? Oh well was a good thought.

Post subject: DXR3 and MythTV
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 5:39 am 
It's surprising how much trouble I've had finding info on iusing the DXR3 with MythTV, but it could be just me.

I'm trying to knock together a wiki, could you perhaps lend me a hand?

http://knoppmythwiki.homelinux.org/inde ... lywoodPlus

It needs to be a howto if there isn't one, or just a link to a howto if there is.

Incidentally, I'll be using mythtv with a monitor, I'm such a sad nerd that all my CRTs are bigger than all my TVs....

Cheers!