View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:54 am 
eizo71 wrote:
is this resolved for the recompile of the imon_pad remote? If not, this "easy to use" mythtv dist is rendered unusable for owners of the Silverstone htpc case, and i would imagen that to be a lot of people!

Unusable? Hardly. And what of all those folks without the built-in IR receiver in their Silverstone cases?

The IR receiver in my LC10M is awful (actually, I imagine it's the no-longer-being-updated drivers that cause it to be so slow and inconsistent). I gave up on it long ago, opting for the Hauppauge dog-bone setup with a serial receiver (http://www.irblaster.info/receiver.html). Everyone in the household loves it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:08 am 
Bump...

No one has successfully compiled LIRC and modules with R5E50?

I'm still trying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:52 pm 
randomhtpcguy, I am having the same problems. I have several front end machines with serial receivers on them. Up to R5E50 they have all worked fine. Meanwhile I am reverting back to R5D1.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:45 am 
randomhtpcguy, I worked on this some more this weekend and am now working fine (I am using the ir receiver that comes with the HD5000 card on my test system). Are you still having problems?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:37 pm 
yes. although my packard bell is a serial receiver, i believe that lirc needs to use a special driver.

I'm assuming that i need to recompile lirc from source to get it working with this driver. The lirc_serial kernel module included by the default installation of lirc should still work for me in theory though.

Anyway, i can compile lirc, but it doesn't create modules correctly as i explained in the post above.

I'm sure my remotes could work if i could compile lirc including the modules in the same manner as in previous releases.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:02 pm 
I had the same issues - recompiled the kernel but the lirc drivers for some reason didn't work. I am using a Philips driver on my R5D1 boxes (lirc-0.8.0) and, like you, worked well. On R5E50 I played with other drivers in the build and, with some tweaking, got it to work (not yet 100% but that is just more tweaking - I'll get it there).

I ended up doing a fresh install then applied the fixes tjc has in the R5E50 Upgrade hints and hazards (tjc, you continue to do a great job) and those from Greg Frost (and thank you Greg - you have been a good source of help over the years) that you also used. I finally was able to get the serial receiver to be recognized (and irrecord started working). Although I haven't given up on the recompile (I still need that for some other things) I tried an easier way out - played with some of the other drivers in the build and found one that works. I have to ask... Why do you have to use the packard bell driver? From the little research I have done PB is not unique...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:55 am 
Quote:
Why do you have to use the packard bell driver?

Good question. I never considered it. I just figured it was unique, because the configure.sh included it rather than a generic serial driver.

Do you have a suggestion for which driver i should try? Perhaps i just need to reinstall and try to adjust the default serial driver that R5E50 installs.

Which remote should i chose in the R5E50 lirc installation script?
I will give that a try.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:55 am 
Quote:
Why do you have to use the packard bell driver?

Good question. I never considered it. I just figured it was unique, because the configure.sh included it rather than a generic serial driver.

Do you have a suggestion for which driver i should try? Perhaps i just need to reinstall and try to adjust the default serial driver that R5E50 installs.

Which remote should i chose in the R5E50 lirc installation script?
I will give that a try.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:23 pm 
Acutally I have had better luck choosing no remote (quitting) and manually setting it up. If you have your working lircd.conf (go into /etc) and lircrc (/home/mythtv/.mythtv) then all you have to do is get your serial receiver recognized (those are the setup hints referenced above). Then simply put your two files into the right libs adn restart lirc (actually I always reboot because I watch for errors in the syslog after I do this).

Do you have those files? If not, it is easy but time consuming...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:09 am 
TJC, I have used your code, copy and paste, and keep getting this error when I try to compile anything.

Quote:
root@mythtv-amd:/usr/src/linux# make oldconfig
HOSTCC scripts/basic/fixdep
In file included from /usr/include/sys/socket.h:35,
from /usr/include/netinet/in.h:24,
from /usr/include/arpa/inet.h:23,
from scripts/basic/fixdep.c:115:
/usr/include/bits/socket.h:304:24: error: asm/socket.h: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [scripts/basic/fixdep] Error 1
make: *** [scripts_basic] Error 2

up untill this release I have had no issues compiling. what am I missing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:44 am 
Looks like you're missing a symlink for the "asm" directory... Mine is broken at the moment too:
Code:
root@black2:~# ls -al /usr/include/asm
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 26 Jan  9 22:37 /usr/include/asm -> /usr/src/linux/include/asm
root@black2:~# ls -al /usr/src/linux/include/asm
ls: /usr/src/linux/include/asm: No such file or directory

To fix it try:
Code:
root@black2:~# cd /usr/src/linux/include/
root@black2:/usr/src/linux/include# ln -s asm-i386 asm
root@black2:/usr/src/linux/include# ls -al /usr/src/linux/include/asm
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 Jan 25 01:41 /usr/src/linux/include/asm -> asm-i386

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:03 am 
TJC.... Thank you, With that last bit I was able to get Lirc 0.8.1 to configure, make and make install.

Quote:
To fix it try: Code:
root@black2:~# cd /usr/src/linux/include/
root@black2:/usr/src/linux/include# ln -s asm-i386 asm
root@black2:/usr/src/linux/include# ls -al /usr/src/linux/include/asm
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 Jan 25 01:41 /usr/src/linux/include/asm -> asm-i386

Although I had to use this line to get it to configure and make:

Code:
./configure --with-kerneldir=/usr/src/linux --with-driver=mceusb2

without specifying where the kernel was it was telling me that the sources were not installed. I wonder where that is set in the system varables.

So from a fresh install this is what I have to get lirc to compile:
Code:
wget ftp://knoppmyth.net/R5/linux-source-2.6.18-chw-13_2.6.18-chw-13-10.00.Custom_all.deb
dpkg -i linux-source-2.6.18-chw-13_2.6.18-chw-13-10.00.Custom_all.deb
rm -f linux-source-2.6.18-chw-13_2.6.18-chw-13-10.00.Custom_all.deb
tar xjvf linux-source-2.6.18-chw-13.tar.bz2
rm -f linux
ln -s linux-source-2.6.18-chw-13 linux
ln -s linux-source-2.6.18-chw-13 kernel-source-2.6.18-chw-13
cd /usr/src/linux/include/
ln -s asm-i386 asm
ls -al /usr/src/linux/include/asm ## Verify link made##

Using LVM for /myth has been a great help. I been pushing everything that I download to it so I don't have to re-download, also having set it up on the r5d1 install all my working scripts are there in the backup. I have recompiled lirc and installed, recompiling the kernel as I type, but I will report on progress after I get up and can test it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:26 am 
That sounded promising.

added source line to /etc/apt/sources.list

Code:
apt-get source lirc

Followed the latest kernel source download and linking instructions above.

compiled lirc as above including
./setup.sh and modified configure.sh to include kernel source location

only change for me was adding
Code:
--prefix=/usr \
to configure.sh

then make failed with:
Quote:
make[4]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-source-2.6.18-chw-13'
test -e include/linux/autoconf.h -a -e include/config/auto.conf || ( \
echo; \
echo " ERROR: Kernel configuration is invalid."; \
echo " include/linux/autoconf.h or include/config/auto.conf are missing."; \
echo " Run 'make oldconfig && make prepare' on kernel src to fix it."; \
echo; \
/bin/false)
mkdir -p /usr/src/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_dev/.tmp_versions
rm -f /usr/src/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_dev/.tmp_versions/*

WARNING: Symbol version dump /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.18-chw-13/Module.symver s
is missing; modules will have no dependencies and modversions.

make -f scripts/Makefile.build obj=/usr/src/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_dev
gcc -m32 -Wp,-MD,/usr/src/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_dev/.lirc_dev.o.d -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.2/include -D__KERNEL__ -Iinclude -inc lude include/linux/autoconf.h -Wall -Wundef -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs - fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -O2 -pipe -msoft-float -mpreferred-stack-boundar y=2 -march=i586 -ffreestanding -Iinclude/asm-i386/mach-default -fomit-frame-po inter -fno-stack-protector -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wno-pointer-sign -DIR CTL_DEV_MAJOR=61 -DEXPORT_SYMTAB -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../.. -I/usr/src/lirc -0.8.0/drivers/lirc_dev/../.. -I/usr/src/linux//include/ -DMODULE -D"KBUILD_STR (s)=#s" -D"KBUILD_BASENAME=KBUILD_STR(lirc_dev)" -D"KBUILD_MODNAME=KBUILD_STR(l irc_dev)" -c -o /usr/src/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_dev/lirc_dev.o /usr/src/lirc-0. 8.0/drivers/lirc_dev/lirc_dev.c
/usr/src/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_dev/lirc_dev.c:28:27: error: linux/version.h: N o such file or directory
/usr/src/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_dev/lirc_dev.c:29:5: warning: "LINUX_VERSION_CO DE" is not defined
/usr/src/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_dev/lirc_dev.c:29:26: warning: "KERNEL_VERSION" is not defined
/usr/src/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_dev/lirc_dev.c:29:40: error: missing binary ope rator before token "("
/usr/src/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_dev/lirc_dev.c:47:5: warning: "LINUX_VERSION_CO DE" is not defined
/usr/src/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_dev/lirc_dev.c:47:26: warning: "KERNEL_VERSION" is not defined
/usr/src/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_dev/lirc_dev.c:47:40: error: missing binary ope rator before token "("
/usr/src/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_dev/lirc_dev.c:53:5: warning: "LINUX_VERSION_CO DE" is not defined
/usr/src/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_dev/lirc_dev.c:53:27: warning: "KERNEL_VERSION" is not defined
/usr/src/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_dev/lirc_dev.c:53:41: error: missing binary ope rator before token "("
/usr/src/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_dev/lirc_dev.c:57:5: warning: "LINUX_VERSION_CO DE" is not defined
/usr/src/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_dev/lirc_dev.c:57:27: warning: "KERNEL_VERSION" is not defined
/usr/src/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_dev/lirc_dev.c:57:41: error: missing binary ope rator before token "("
In file included from /usr/src/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_dev/lirc_dev.c:61:
/usr/src/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_dev/../../drivers/kcompat.h:8:5: warning: "LINU X_VERSION_CODE" is not defined
/usr/src/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_dev/../../drivers/kcompat.h:8:27: warning: "KER NEL_VERSION" is not defined
/usr/src/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_dev/../../drivers/kcompat.h:8:41: error: missin g binary operator before token "("
/usr/src/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_dev/../../drivers/kcompat.h:56:7: warning: "LIN UX_VERSION_CODE" is not defined
/usr/src/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_dev/../../drivers/kcompat.h:56:29: warning: "KE RNEL_VERSION" is not defined
/usr/src/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_dev/../../drivers/kcompat.h:56:43: error: missi ng binary operator before token "("
/usr/src/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_dev/../../drivers/kcompat.h:65:5: warning: "LIN UX_VERSION_CODE" is not defined
/usr/src/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_dev/../../drivers/kcompat.h:65:26: warning: "KE RNEL_VERSION" is not defined
/usr/src/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_dev/../../drivers/kcompat.h:65:40: error: missi ng binary operator before token "("
/usr/src/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_dev/../../drivers/kcompat.h:76:5: warning: "LIN UX_VERSION_CODE" is not defined
/usr/src/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_dev/../../drivers/kcompat.h:76:26: warning: "KE RNEL_VERSION" is not defined
/usr/src/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_dev/../../drivers/kcompat.h:76:40: error: missi ng binary operator before token "("
/usr/src/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_dev/../../drivers/kcompat.h:131:5: warning: "LI NUX_VERSION_CODE" is not defined
/usr/src/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_dev/../../drivers/kcompat.h:131:27: warning: "K ERNEL_VERSION" is not defined
/usr/src/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_dev/../../drivers/kcompat.h:131:41: error: miss ing binary operator before token "("
/usr/src/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_dev/../../drivers/kcompat.h:160: error: redefin ition of 'try_module_get'
include/linux/module.h:395: error: previous definition of 'try_module_get' was h ere
/usr/src/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_dev/../../drivers/kcompat.h:165: error: redefin ition of 'module_put'
include/linux/module.h:410: error: previous definition of 'module_put' was here
/usr/src/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_dev/../../drivers/kcompat.h:211:5: warning: "KE RNEL_VERSION" is not defined
/usr/src/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_dev/../../drivers/kcompat.h:211:19: error: miss ing binary operator before token "("
In file included from include/linux/i2c.h:34,
from /usr/src/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_dev/../../drivers/kcompat .h:220,
from /usr/src/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_dev/lirc_dev.c:61:
include/linux/device.h:274: error: expected identifier or '(' before 'void'
include/linux/device.h:274: error: expected ')' before numeric constant
include/linux/device.h:275: error: expected identifier or '(' before 'do'
include/linux/device.h:275: error: expected identifier or '(' before 'while'
include/linux/device.h:282: error: expected identifier or '(' before 'do'
include/linux/device.h:282: error: expected identifier or '(' before 'while'
In file included from include/linux/i2c.h:34,
from /usr/src/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_dev/../../drivers/kcompat .h:220,
from /usr/src/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_dev/lirc_dev.c:61:
include/linux/device.h:442:1: warning: "MODULE_ALIAS_CHARDEV_MAJOR" redefined
/usr/src/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_dev/../../drivers/kcompat.h:179:1: warning: thi s is the location of the previous definition
/usr/src/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_dev/../../drivers/kcompat.h:229:5: warning: "LI NUX_VERSION_CODE" is not defined
/usr/src/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_dev/../../drivers/kcompat.h:229:26: warning: "K ERNEL_VERSION" is not defined
/usr/src/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_dev/../../drivers/kcompat.h:229:40: error: miss ing binary operator before token "("
/usr/src/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_dev/../../drivers/kcompat.h:249:5: warning: "LI NUX_VERSION_CODE" is not defined
/usr/src/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_dev/../../drivers/kcompat.h:249:27: warning: "K ERNEL_VERSION" is not defined
/usr/src/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_dev/../../drivers/kcompat.h:249:41: error: miss ing binary operator before token "("
/usr/src/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_dev/../../drivers/kcompat.h:267:5: warning: "LI NUX_VERSION_CODE" is not defined
/usr/src/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_dev/../../drivers/kcompat.h:267:26: warning: "K ERNEL_VERSION" is not defined
/usr/src/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_dev/../../drivers/kcompat.h:267:40: error: miss ing binary operator before token "("
/usr/src/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_dev/lirc_dev.c: In function 'lirc_register_plug in':
/usr/src/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_dev/lirc_dev.c:411: error: 'MOD_INC_USE_COUNT' undeclared (first use in this function)
/usr/src/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_dev/lirc_dev.c:411: error: (Each undeclared ide ntifier is reported only once
/usr/src/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_dev/lirc_dev.c:411: error: for each function it appears in.)
/usr/src/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_dev/lirc_dev.c:464:5: warning: "LINUX_VERSION_C ODE" is not defined
/usr/src/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_dev/lirc_dev.c:464:27: warning: "KERNEL_VERSION " is not defined
/usr/src/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_dev/lirc_dev.c:464:41: error: missing binary op erator before token "("
/usr/src/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_dev/lirc_dev.c: In function 'lirc_unregister_pl ugin':
/usr/src/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_dev/lirc_dev.c:505: error: 'MOD_DEC_USE_COUNT' undeclared (first use in this function)
make[5]: *** [/usr/src/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_dev/lirc_dev.o] Error 1
make[4]: *** [_module_/usr/src/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_dev] Error 2
make[4]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-source-2.6.18-chw-13'
make[3]: *** [lirc_dev.o] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_dev'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/lirc-0.8.0/drivers'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/lirc-0.8.0'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Mine is not a fresh autoupgrade anymore since i have tried this so many times so that may be the issue. I have fixed so many little things that i may just wait to get my remote working until the next release.

[/code]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:13 pm 
randomhtpcguy, sorry, I have been travelling and couldn't respond. I have built 4 R5E50 machines with serial receivers and all work fine. Here is what I did:

Standard R5E50 build and select the serial remote (#34) (that creates the hardware.conf file you need with the "serial" statement in the end

Change the Dialout group to mythtv

Move my lircd.conf and lircrc files

Reboot

If you do not have the lirc files then stop your frontend and run irrecord xxxx.conf, follow the script and see if the system receives any data. If you do you are just about complete but you will have to manually build the files (plenty of posts to walk you thru that).

I have also installed the new nVidia drivers (recompiled the kernel) but am still unable to get a good recompile with lirc scripts. With the method above, though, I don't think it isn't necessary...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:52 pm 
thanks for the suggestion, but that didn't work.
I did this on my other machine with a fresh install.

Where would i check the information to make sure the correct IRQ,com port, and driver are being used. the driver it needs for lircd is default, but the other driver chosen in the config is packard_bell. The module is lirc_serial.

I chose 34 in lirc_reconfig.sh and followed your instructions

I heard somewhere else that it worked for them.

Last edited by randomhtpcguy on Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next