View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:14 am 
jmacmythtv wrote:
Thanks guys... great info! I had no idea that there were so many differences between "Fx5200" video cards - although it explains some of the price variation.

FWIW, I was able to get 1080i working with this card - this is what I am currently running. When I get home I will post the modeline for future reference and play around with the EDID to find the details on what this particular card can handle.

Thanks again!

Dumb question: How did you verify a particular resolution was being displayed? For example, if you had a video file that was recorded in 1080i, and you successfully played it on your HDTV, how do you know it isn't being downscaled to another resolution? Is there a way to toggle through different resolutions (modelines?)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:54 pm 
You can verify the modeline that was selected for use when gdm was started by looking at /var/log/XFree86.0.log. Here is an exerpt from mine:

[31] -1 0 0x0000d000 - 0x0000d007 (0x8) IX[B]
[32] -1 0 0x0000b000 - 0x0000b0ff (0x100) IX[B]
[33] 0 0 0x000003b0 - 0x000003bb (0xc) IS[B](OprU)
[34] 0 0 0x000003c0 - 0x000003df (0x20) IS[B](OprU)
(II) NVIDIA(0): Setting mode "ATSC-1080-60p"
(II) Loading extension NV-GLX
(II) NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA 3D Acceleration Architecture Initialized

The "setting mode" line tells you the name of the modeline that it has chosen. It is just below the section where it lists all the good modelines that could be used.

My monitor (Westinghouse LVM42w2) also has a feature in the menu for displaying connection info - it tells me the resolution and refresh rates that it is getting fed. I don't know of a way to toggle through the modelines ... I just have one listed at for use in the config file in the screen section:

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "NV5200"
Monitor "LVM-42w2"
DefaultColorDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "ATSC-1080-60p"
EndSubSection
EndSection

Under the "monitor" section before this in the config file I have ~75 modelines to pick from. When I choose one that doesn't work, gdm doesn't start so I go back and try another. The log will also tell you which ones (of those listed in the moinitor section) are valid modelines.

Anyway, not sure if this answered your question, but hope it helps...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:19 pm 
jmacmythtv,

Thank you for the detailed response. I think you answered my question quite well. Here's another

Question: Is only one single modeline used, in a typical setup?

Many of the examples that are discussed on this board seem to involve the search for the one magic modeline. However, if you view content of various resolutions, do you not need various modelines? Or, rather, is the goal to find the one modeline that is used for everything at all times?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:34 pm 
I have the LVM47 Westinghouse and a 256MB 5200... the following works fine at 1080P... only downside is now when I first turn on or reboot, it takes a solid 10 minutes minimum before HD content displays on WatchTV... if I go to 1080i this problem goes away. But I don't reboot often, so not a huuuge deal. But it sure is a nag when playing with settings. (If anyone can help with this, or at keast explain why it does this, I'd appreciate it)

1) Make sure you have at least the NVIDIA driver version 1.0-8762 installed as older versions did not work properly.

2) Configure as close as possible to what's shown below (it's from an older release). The key here is the Option line in the Monitor section that has the NoMaxPClCheck and NoEdidMaxPClkCheck set. Without these settings the FX5200 will not output 1920x1080p.

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Westinghouse"
ModelName "LCD Panel 1920x1080"
HorizSync 31.5 - 90.0
VertRefresh 60.0 - 60.0
ModeLine "1920x1080p" 148.5 1920 2024 2072 2200 1080 1084 1094 1124 -hsync -vsync
Option "ModeValidation" "NoMaxPClkCheck, NoEdidMaxPClkCheck"
Option "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "Videocard vendor"
BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Videocard0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
Modes "1920x1080p" "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
EndSection

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:12 pm 
Quote:
Question: Is only one single modeline used, in a typical setup?

Many of the examples that are discussed on this board seem to involve the search for the one magic modeline. However, if you view content of various resolutions, do you not need various modelines? Or, rather, is the goal to find the one modeline that is used for everything at all times

Hi Ihatetivo

Sorry, not really sure I can answer you r question: I have only one in my config file but at one point I was playing with the option: "Use separate modes for GUI and Video" (I think in the section Setup>TV settings > Playback) and the system definately output different resolutions. I'll have to defer to someone that knows a little more...

jester747,

Thanks for the tips ... I can't help you out on the big delay issue that you are having. In fact, I probably should have specified that I have 1080p working within the GUI and with SD. I have yet to install and configure my HD3000s to get access to an HD source. If I come across the same problem or lack of it, I will post back with anything I find.

Post subject: Re: results???
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:02 pm 
ed.gatzke wrote:
If you get this working, please make sure to post the solution here. I was looking at upgrading to that Westinghouse (or maybe the 37 inch 1080p version).

Anybody have luck with any of the 1080p Westinghouse LCDs?

I have a westinghouse LVM-37W3 and it works at 1080p with the Nvidia fx5200.

Its tricky to get it working. Make sure you use the latest drivers. You also need to add many options to your FX86Config-4. You need to disable all forms of EDID and disable the pixel clock check. The Maimum pixel clock of the 5200 is NOT 135MHZ, that is a limitation of the drivers and not the
hardware, it is worked around with options in the FX86Config-4. The options are in the readme for the drivers.

I spent a couple hours to finally get this working, it was a pain to figure out all the options needed. let me know if you still cannot get it working.

Post subject: Re: results???
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:14 pm 
getnate wrote:
ed.gatzke wrote:
If you get this working, please make sure to post the solution here. I was looking at upgrading to that Westinghouse (or maybe the 37 inch 1080p version).

Anybody have luck with any of the 1080p Westinghouse LCDs?

I have a westinghouse LVM-37W3 and it works at 1080p with the Nvidia fx5200.

Its tricky to get it working. Make sure you use the latest drivers. You also need to add many options to your FX86Config-4. You need to disable all forms of EDID and disable the pixel clock check. The Maimum pixel clock of the 5200 is NOT 135MHZ, that is a limitation of the drivers and not the
hardware, it is worked around with options in the FX86Config-4. The options are in the readme for the drivers.

I spent a couple hours to finally get this working, it was a pain to figure out all the options needed. let me know if you still cannot get it working.

getnate,
Would you mind posting your XF86Config-4 file?

Drives: 500Gb IDE; IDE DVD-RW
Mobo: eMachines
Tuners (Analog): PVR-250
Tuners (Digital): DCT-6200 Motorola Cable Box, HDHomeRun (OTA + cable)

Post subject: My Config
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:01 pm 
Here is my xorg.conf (im using the latest knoppmyth build where xf86config-4 has been replaced by xorg.conf).

From a default install of R5E50 I did the following:
1. deleted all mode lines
2. Added a 1080p modeline I found on the Mythtv wiki
3. deleted and changed the screens sections (be sure to use 24bit color, 32bit failed for me)
4. Added the following 3 lines to the device section:
a. Option "UseEDIDFreqs" "False"
b. Option "ModeValidation" "NoEdidModes, NoMaxPClkCheck"
c. Option "ExactModeTimingsDVI" "true"
5. Changed DPI

Code:
Section "ServerLayout"
   Identifier     "XFree86 Configured"
   Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
   InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
# PS/2 Mouse not detected
# Serial Mouse not detected
        InputDevice    "USB Mouse" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
   Option "AllowMouseOpenFail"  "true"

EndSection

Section "Files"
   RgbPath      "/usr/share/X11/rgb"
   ModulePath   "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
   FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc:unscaled"
   FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi:unscaled"
   FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi:unscaled"
   FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1"
   FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/X11/Speedo"
   FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/X11/PEX"
# Additional fonts: Locale, Gimp, TTF...
   FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic"
#   FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/X11/latin2/75dpi"
#   FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/X11/latin2/100dpi"
# True type and type1 fonts are also handled via xftlib, see /etc/X11/XftConfig!
   FontPath     "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType"
   FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/truetype"
   FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/latex-ttf-fonts"
EndSection

Section "Module"
# Comments: see http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=346408
   Load  "dbe" # Double Buffering Extension, very important.
#   Load  "dri" # This shouldn't be available choice if user has selected driver vga, vesa or nv.
   Load  "glx" # GLX Extension.
   Load  "freetype" # Freetype fonts.
   Load  "type1"  # Type 1 fonts
   Load  "record" # Developer extension, usually not needed
#   Load  "extmod" # This is okay, but if you look into "man xorg.conf" you'll find option NOT to include DGA extension with extmod, and for a good reason.. DGA causes instability as it access videoram without consulting X about it.
   SubSection      "extmod"
      Option          "omit xfree86-dga"
   EndSubSection
#   Load  "speedo" # Speedo fonts, this module doesn't exist in Xorg 7.0.17
# The following are deprecated/unstable/unneeded in Xorg 7.0
#       Load  "ddc"  # ddc probing of monitor, this should be never present, as it gets automatically loaded.
#   Load  "GLcore" # This should be never present, as it gets automatically loaded.
#       Load  "bitmap" # Should be never present, as it gets automatically loaded. This is a font module, and loading it in xorg.conf makes X try to load it twice.
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier  "Keyboard0"
   Driver      "kbd"
        Option      "CoreKeyboard"
   Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
   Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
   Option "XkbLayout" "us"

EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier  "Serial Mouse"
   Driver      "mouse"
   Option      "Protocol" "Microsoft"
   Option      "Device" "/dev/ttyS0"
   Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
   Option      "Emulate3Timeout" "70"
   Option       "SendCoreEvents"  "true"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier  "PS/2 Mouse"
   Driver      "mouse"
   Option      "Protocol" "auto"
Option          "ZAxisMapping"          "4 5"
   Option      "Device" "/dev/psaux"
   Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
   Option      "Emulate3Timeout" "70"
   Option       "SendCoreEvents"  "true"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "USB Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/mice"
   Option      "SendCoreEvents"   "true"
        Option          "Protocol"              "IMPS/2"
        Option          "ZAxisMapping"          "4 5"
        Option          "Buttons"               "5"
EndSection

# Auto-generated by KNOPPIX mkxf86config

Section "Monitor"
   Identifier   "Monitor0"
   Option   "DPMS"   "true"
   Option "UseEdidDpi" "FALSE"
   Option "DPI" "100 x 100"
#   HorizSync    28.0 - 78.0 # Warning: This may fry very old Monitors
   HorizSync    28.0 - 96.0 # Warning: This may fry old Monitors
   VertRefresh  50.0 - 75.0 # Very conservative. May flicker.
#   VertRefresh  50.0 - 62.0 # Extreme conservative. Will flicker. TFT default.
   #  Default modes distilled from
   #      "VESA and Industry Standards and Guide for Computer Display Monitor
   #       Timing", version 1.0, revision 0.8, adopted September 17, 1998.
   #  $XFree86: xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/etc/vesamodes,v 1.4 1999/11/18 16:52:17 tsi Exp $

ModeLine "ATSC-1080-60p" 148.5 1920 1960 2016 2200 1080 1082 1088 1125

EndSection

Section "Device"
   ### Available Driver options are:-
# sw_cursor is needed for some ati and radeon cards
   #Option     "sw_cursor"
        #Option     "hw_cursor"
        #Option     "NoAccel"
        #Option     "ShowCache"
        #Option     "ShadowFB"
        #Option     "UseFBDev"
        #Option     "Rotate"
   Option "UseEDIDFreqs" "False"   
   Option "ModeValidation" "NoEdidModes, NoMaxPClkCheck"
   Option "ExactModeTimingsDVI" "true"
   Identifier  "Card0"
# The following line is auto-generated by KNOPPIX mkxf86config
   Driver      "nvidia"
   VendorName  "All"
   BoardName   "All"
#   BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
   Identifier "Screen0"
   Device     "Card0"
   Monitor    "Monitor0"
   DefaultColorDepth 24
   SubSection "Display"
      Depth     24
      Modes "ATSC-1080-60p"
   EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "DRI"
   Mode 0666
EndSection

-Nate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:47 am 
jester747 wrote:
I have the LVM47 Westinghouse and a 256MB 5200... the following works fine at 1080P... only downside is now when I first turn on or reboot, it takes a solid 10 minutes minimum before HD content displays on WatchTV... if I go to 1080i this problem goes away. But I don't reboot often, so not a huuuge deal. But it sure is a nag when playing with settings. (If anyone can help with this, or at keast explain why it does this, I'd appreciate it)

I just order that display. It is good to see your notes on the required modeline.

Could you explain what you mean by having to wait 10 minuets after a reboot before being able to watch tv. Are you saying it takes that long before the X server is displayed on the TV? Or are you saying you can select watchTV on the mythtv frontend but nothing happens for 10 minuets?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:35 am 
ryanpatterson wrote:
Could you explain what you mean by having to wait 10 minuets after a reboot before being able to watch tv. Are you saying it takes that long before the X server is displayed on the TV? Or are you saying you can select watchTV on the mythtv frontend but nothing happens for 10 minuets?

It boots up to Myth, I can go to any menu option just fine, then when I pick watchTV my first channel comes up, and the message regarding a lock not being obtained comes up, to which I click "ok" and the signal bar states 0% with no lock... wait ten minutes and it goes to 100% and everything is normal. While waiting for that first "lock" I can go to any other channel but get the same behavior. Most of my signals are in the high 90s to 100% range when they work, but zilch while experiencing this situation... and this problem never happened till I went to 1080P. Although as much as I played with things it's possible that I chaged something else at the same time. I haven't honestly researched it much, as I reboot less and less now, so it's obviously less and less of a problem.

Congrats on the TV, you will really enjoy it. I have absolutely nothing bad to say about mine. Tons of inputs (1080P on HDMI and DVI), limited image tweaking out-the-box but google around and you'll find the service access tricks which let you do anything, the viewing angle is something like 170+... no burn-in issues as plasmas might have... MUCH less power consumption than any other popular technology (often overlooked benefit)... and a great price of course.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:28 am 
I just got a new 1080p display and have been trying to get my FX5200 to output 1080p. Using the various options mentioned (Option "ModeValidation" "NoMaxPClkCheck, NoEdidMaxPClkCheck") in this thread I have been able to get a 1080p signal out to the display. However, randomly the whole display will flash to a blank screen and then return within a second. I am thinking that this means my particular FX5200 is not fast enough or doesn't have enough RAM to output 1080i. My FX5200 came with my Dell and has only 128MB of video RAM. Has anyone with a 128MB FX5200 been able to get reliable 1080p?

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Britney

Post subject: 1080p
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:56 pm 
Hi

I have a fx5200... I'm pretty sure it's only 128mb. I'm running 1080p.
I have a Westinghouse TX-42F430S. Here is the magic:

under monitor

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
Option "DPMS" "true"
Option "ModeValidation" "NoEdidModes"
Option "UseEdidDpi" "FALSE"
Option "DPI" "100 x 100"

and for the modes, simply go for 1080p

Modes "1920x1080_60"

for some good reading http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Modeline_Database

Hope this helps,

prosonik

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:12 am 
prosonik, thanks for the tips but none of them worked for getting reliable 1080p out of my fx5200 to my Sony 1080p set. Could be the card is just not up to standard. In fact using NoEdidModes made all the built in modes reject (1920x1080_60, 1280x720_60) and it defaulted to a 640x480 res. Really weird. Anyway I found a fx6200 online for $20 and now I have beautiful 1080p out that is rock solid with out any ModeValidation tweaks.

Britney

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:09 pm 
Had to disable pixel checking, along with vertical refresh rate checking for my Samsung LN-T4061 (LNT-4061 to help in searching). Driving 1080p with a 128Meg FX5200 now.

That being said, pushing 1080p content seems to be pushing the system too hard. I've trying to get XVMC working with mplayer, but seem to get 'no video'. If there is a thread already on this, I haven't been able to find it. Is the included mplayer compiled with XVMC support ?

Go to page Previous  1, 2