View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:00 am 
Does anyone have advice about the choice of Samba, NFS, etc and authentication in a KM home environment? :?:

I have about ten different boxes in my house (a k a secondary heating system... :P ) running different Linux distros and Windows(XP,2000). They share files using Samba (various versions) with a fixed username/password, which works pretty well although not very secure. See it as a workgroup setup.

Now, when I tried to transfer movies and stuff from the KM box to my central repository (a k a file server... :P ), I discovered that Samba limits the file sizes to 2GB :shock: , making it useless for movies, and that my fixed username/password setup makes it impossible to retain ownership etc on the files.

The question is whether Samba really is ideal for file sharing and should get tuned somehow to overcome the current limitations, or if I'd be better off with NFS, AFS or whatever. :?:

The boxes all have local users and no LDAP, Kerberos etc. Maybe something smart could be done here to make them all work in beautiful harmony? :roll:

I'd be most grateful for any thoughts on this topic.

Cheers,
/Chris

FE2: Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H, AthlonX2 4850E 2.5 GHz, 1GB, ASUS GEFORCE 7200GS 256MB
FE3: Asus Eeebox410

Last edited by cahlfors on Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:33 am 
Quote:
Now, when I tried to transfer movies and stuff from the KM box to my central repository (a k a file server... Razz ), I discovered that Samba limits the file sizes to 2GB Shocked , making it useless for movies, and that my fixed username/password setup makes it impossible to retain ownership etc on the files

What operating system and file system (ie: FAT, EXT3, NTFS, etc) are you using on your central repository? A 2GB file size limitation sounds like the old FAT file size limitation.

Marc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:54 am 
The central repository is running Mandriva 2007 with jfs for file system. This isn't a file system issue - there are larger files there. Copying a file over returned a file size error and the file was chopped at 2GB.

The question is if there is a golden path.

Cheers,
/Chris

FE2: Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H, AthlonX2 4850E 2.5 GHz, 1GB, ASUS GEFORCE 7200GS 256MB

Last edited by cahlfors on Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:00 am 
cahlfors wrote:
The central repository is running Mandriva 2007 with jfs for file system. This isn't a file system issue - there are larger files there. Copying a file over returned a file size error and the file was chopped at 2GB.

Cheers,
/Chris
See http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/OpenSlu ... dWithSamba , look for the lfs option to enable large file support.

Personally I would use A) FTP or B) rsync to transfer the files (in that order) as these protocols are faster than smb. rsync is about as fast as smb if using encryption, which I don't as the systems are both within my LAN. FTP is the fastest way on my network.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:11 am 
FTP and rsync are fine for transferring files, but not for file sharing. KM can't mount a remote directory with FTP or rsync (rsync uses an underlying protocol-in my case Samba... :wink: ). I'll edit the original post to clarify.

I would particularly like to use the export utility to store recordings I'd like to keep. The KM disk is limited.

Cheers,
/Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:37 am 
cahlfors wrote:
FTP and rsync are fine for transferring files, but not for file sharing.
I thought that's what you were trying to do?
Quote:
Now, when I tried to transfer movies and stuff from the KM box to my central repository (a k a file server...), I discovered that Samba limits the file sizes to 2GB

cahlfors wrote:
KM can't mount a remote directory with FTP or rsync (rsync uses an underlying protocol-in my case Samba... :wink: ).
AFAIK, rsync is it's own protocol - See http://everythinglinux.org/rsync

cahlfors wrote:
I would particularly like to use the export utility to store recordings I'd like to keep. The KM disk is limited.

Cheers,
/Chris
I use NFS mounts to access my centralized media. No problems with it so far. http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=NFSHowTo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:57 am 
I would use NFS for sharing the drive between linux systems and Samba to make the drive visible to windows systems. I suspect you will see better performance copying files via NFS vs. Samba.

Edit: One more note. I notice that the NSLU2-Linux wiki referenced in a previous post suggests that it is better to use CIFS instead of Samba. I've worked with both CIFS with "freenas" and Samba with both knoppmyth & "openfiler". CIFS has a reputation of having lower performance than Samba. My experience was that CIFS under freenas yielded 25% lower throughput than Samba under Knoppmyth. Samba under Knoppmyth yielded the same performance as Samba under Openfiler.

Marc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:55 am 
I personally use SME Server (formerly E-Smith) it is a linux server with built in Samba server and authentification etc. You can use NFS with it as well and is all managed through a web page.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:03 pm 
I have been able to move files > 2GB via Samba. Works like a champ. Tapeworm is also effective.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:50 am 
It appears that people are using different approaches and are happy with the results. I am unable to see any particular golden path to file sharing/authentication and maybe I should just stick to Samba and straighten out the quirks.
Quote:
See http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/OpenSlu ... dWithSamba , look for the lfs option to enable large file support.

I'll be sure to check this out - thanks!

/Chris