View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:28 pm 
I having trouble setting up a few basic things on my system. I'm very new to linux, but have dabbled in the command line on my OS X system. I don't know much, but I know how not to crash my system.

First thing I'm trying to do is move some video files from my main system to the my mythtv system. When I try to connect from OS X with this "smb://username:password@127.0.0.1/myth/video/" I get a error saying my username or password is incorrect. I know the username and password is correct, so am I getting this error because Samba isn't turned on? If so How do I turn it on?

Another problem I'm having is I can't Telnet into the system. I try from my OS X system and I get
telnet: connect to address 127.0.0.1: Connection refused
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host
Is telnet not turned on? How do I turn it on?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:35 pm 
NILL wrote:
I having trouble setting up a few basic things on my system. I'm very new to linux, but have dabbled in the command line on my OS X system. I don't know much, but I know how not to crash my system.

First thing I'm trying to do is move some video files from my main system to the my mythtv system. When I try to connect from OS X with this "smb://username:password@127.0.0.1/myth/video/" I get a error saying my username or password is incorrect. I know the username and password is correct, so am I getting this error because Samba isn't turned on? If so How do I turn it on?
Most likely. Run update-rc.d samba defaults and reboot.

NILL wrote:
Another problem I'm having is I can't Telnet into the system. I try from my OS X system and I get
Telnet is inherently insecure, SSH is enabled by default.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:54 pm 
slowtolearn wrote:
NILL wrote:

I get a permission denied error

slowtolearn wrote:
NILL wrote:

I get ssh: connect to host 127.0.0.1 port 22: Connection refused

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:11 pm 
NILL wrote:
slowtolearn wrote:
NILL wrote:

Run it as root - su

slowtolearn wrote:
NILL wrote:

NILL wrote:
What is the command you are using? 127.0.0.1 is the loopback for the machine you are on. You want ssh <IP address of your Knoppmyth box>

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:29 pm 
slowtolearn wrote:
NILL wrote:
slowtolearn wrote:
NILL wrote:

Run it as root - su

I enter su update-rc.d samba defaults and get back command not found
EDIT--
I'm now trying this over ssh and can read this well(before it was on a TV screen)
I enter su update-rc.d samba defaults and get Unknown id: update-rc.d back.

slowtolearn wrote:
NILL wrote:

NILL wrote:
slowtolearn wrote:
What is the command you are using? 127.0.0.1 is the loopback for the machine you are on. You want ssh <IP address of your Knoppmyth box>

What I thought the ip address was wrong. When I was setting it up I wrote down the IP, but I guess it changed some how. I go ssh to work. Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:34 am 
NILL wrote:
EDIT--
I'm now trying this over ssh and can read this well(before it was on a TV screen)
I enter su update-rc.d samba defaults and get Unknown id: update-rc.d back.
When you login to your KM box (I presume you are logging in as a user other than root) type su. You will be prompted for the root password, which you need to supply. Then run update-rc.d samba defaults and reboot.

Also see http://knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=LinuxTips

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:39 am 
Just a small point, you don't need to reboot to get samba to start, just run this command:

Code:
/etc/init.d/samba start

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:14 am 
mad_paddler wrote:
Just a small point, you don't need to reboot to get samba to start, just run this command:

Code:
/etc/init.d/samba start
Very true, although given
NILL wrote:
I'm very new to linux,
I figured rebooting would be the easiest way :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:02 pm 
slowtolearn wrote:
mad_paddler wrote:

Code:
/etc/init.d/samba start
Very true, although given
NILL wrote:
I'm very new to linux,
I figured rebooting would be the easiest way :wink:

Just when I thought I had it. I got the commands you gave me to work. I went to "Connect to Server" in Finder. And manged to get a windows asking me what share I want to connect to. The only one being "myth". I click ok and it bring up a window asking me for a username and password. I use the ones I was using early and it tells me I have ether a incorrect username or password.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:35 pm 
NILL wrote:
Just when I thought I had it. I got the commands you gave me to work. I went to "Connect to Server" in Finder. And manged to get a windows asking me what share I want to connect to. The only one being "myth". I click ok and it bring up a window asking me for a username and password. I use the ones I was using early and it tells me I have ether a incorrect username or password.

Try mythtv with mythtv as the password. Otherwise, the username and password you set during the install should work. There is no "myth" user. If you heard that, it's, well, a myth :-)

Incidentally, OSX almost certainly supports NFS mounting, or is the only UNIX that doesn't? NFS is easiest to set up and you can auto-mount it at startup by editing your /etc/fstab.

Cheers

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:17 pm 
manicmike wrote:
NILL wrote:

Try mythtv with mythtv as the password. Otherwise, the username and password you set during the install should work. There is no "myth" user. If you heard that, it's, well, a myth :-)

Incidentally, OSX almost certainly supports NFS mounting, or is the only UNIX that doesn't? NFS is easiest to set up and you can auto-mount it at startup by editing your /etc/fstab.

Cheers

Mike

Ok mythtv works as username and password. Thank you. I'll have to look at using NFS, but for now i'll use SMB. I can just make a apple scrip to auto mount SMB anyway.