NILL wrote:
Heres what I get
Code:
root@mythbe:/var# ls -l /var/log/mythtv
total 2898844
-rw-r--r-- 1 root   mythtv        640 Jun 30 15:35 KnoppMyth-run.log
-rw-r--r-- 1 mythtv mythtv      28672 Jul  9 17:17 mythbackend.log
-rw-r--r-- 1 mythtv mythtv 2965479424 Jul  3 21:34 mythfrontend.log

I'm going to assume it's mythfrontend.log. How do I look inside? I thought I had an idea on how to but it didn't work.
What did you try? Try tail -500 /var/log/mythtv/mythfrontend.log | more to (maybe) get an idea of what has filled it up. If that doesn't point you in any direction you can zap it with > /var/log/mythtv/mythfrontend.log, but I wouldn't guarantee that to solve the problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:15 pm 
You may need to restart the FE after doing that. Deleting a file in Unix unlinks it from the directory structure, but the space isn't reclaimed until the last user closes it. Truncating it like that also has some oddities that I always have to look up in Stevens...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:38 pm 
tjc wrote:
You may need to restart the FE after doing that. Deleting a file in Unix unlinks it from the directory structure, but the space isn't reclaimed until the last user closes it. Truncating it like that also has some oddities that I always have to look up in Stevens...
Yep, sorry, my bad. Best route is to stop the frontend, look at the offending file (/var/log/mythtv/mythfrontend.log), deal with the problem and zap the log, then restart the frontend. I thought I had read that the frontend wasn't starting so I jumped the gun...

tjc - What is "Stevens"? Are you referring to Richard Steven's books/guides?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:24 pm 
OK this is what I got.

Code:
*** libdvdread: CHECK_VALUE failed in ifo_read.c:1419 ***
*** for c_adt->cell_adr_table[i].start_sector < c_adt->cell_adr_table[i].last_sector **

*** libdvdread: CHECK_VALUE failed in ifo_read.c:1415 ***
*** for c_adt->cell_adr_table[i].vob_id > 0 ***

*** libdvdread: CHECK_VALUE failed in ifo_read.c:1417 ***
*** for c_adt->cell_adr_table[i].cell_id > 0 ***

*** for c_adt->cell_adr_table[i].start_sector < c_adt->cell_adr_table[i].last_sector **

*** libdvdread: CHECK_VALUE failed in ifo_read.c:1415 ***
*** for c_adt->cell_adr_table[i].vob_id > 0 ***

*** libdvdread: CHECK_VALUE failed in ifo_read.c:1417 ***
*** for c_adt->cell_adr_table[i].cell_id > 0 ***

Shout I just kill the front end do delete the log file? How do I do that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:10 pm 
slowtolearn wrote:
tjc - What is "Stevens"? Are you referring to Richard Steven's books/guides?

Yeah, more specifically, I meant "Advanced Programming in the Unix Environment" although the networking book(s) are great too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:16 am 
NILL,
I think you're close to done.

like I said, I'm no myth expert here, but I'm guessing ifo_read.c in libdvdread has something to do with reading a DVD's IFO files.

Do (Did) you have a DVD in the optical drive?

If it's a DVD+-R/RW then the disk may be a coaster.
If it's a 'real' DVD then you may have an issue with the DVD's encryption, which is a touchy subject at best.

If you're underlying problem is with reading the DVD, then remove the disk, follow previous postings to kill the log file, bring everything back up and you should be good.

If that's the fix to the growing file system, then you can monitor the front end log as you look into fixing the other problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:45 pm 
I couldn't figure out how to kill the front end process so I just tried deleting the log file and rebooted. And it's working now :D . Thank you, this has been very helpful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:31 am 
I've just got back from two weeks away to discover this little problem of X not starting with exactly the same message being displayed as in the original post. When I click the OK button, it just circles and I end up back at the same message - xsession: warning: unable to write to /tmp etc...

I've tried to start a terminal all the usual ways i.e. Alt-X, and Ctrl-ALT-F number key to no avail. I suspect it's a log not rotating properly but I can't check...

I wanted to come home and sit in front of what I'd recorded with a beer and try to readjust my body clock. I hate jetlag. it sucks.

Using R5F1.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:55 am 
tophee wrote:
I've just got back from two weeks away to discover this little problem of X not starting with exactly the same message being displayed as in the original post. When I click the OK button, it just circles and I end up back at the same message - xsession: warning: unable to write to /tmp etc...

I've tried to start a terminal all the usual ways i.e. Alt-X, and Ctrl-ALT-F number key to no avail. I suspect it's a log not rotating properly but I can't check...
Can you SSH in from another system?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:18 am 
Unfortunately I've never set this up. I did try to log on through mythweb and webmin but failed to connect.
As I've been away for two weeks I don't have a recent backup to do an upgrade as Heroes has started here in the UK and I've at least three episodes of that I want to watch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:06 pm 
tophee wrote:
Unfortunately I've never set this up. I did try to log on through mythweb and webmin but failed to connect.
As I've been away for two weeks I don't have a recent backup to do an upgrade as Heroes has started here in the UK and I've at least three episodes of that I want to watch.
SSH is enabled by default. In R5F1 you cannot login via SSH as root or mythtv, you will need to use the user you created during install, then su once you are logged in. Then you can find out which log(s) are running amuck...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:25 pm 
SSH did the trick. It was a rather large frontend log. Will have to look into the cause. Thanks

Go to page Previous  1, 2