View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:39 pm 
Hi,
I am trying to setup a PVR and I am having a hard time to run any modern distribution(LiveCd or Otherwise).
I tried Fedora Core 7, Knoppix 5, Kubuntu Edgy.

Hardware
Dell Dimension 4500S
Intel i810 Chipset
Ac_97 audio
PCI cards : Hauppauge PVR-150
Nvidia FX5200

Since installing the pvr and nvidia pci cards. No LiveCD with kernel 2.6 can boot the machine. It seems to stop when auto configuration using udev.

After doing some research I found that 2.4 kernels uses devfs. So i downloaded Feather linux LiveCD(2.4 kernel) and booted fine with that distro.

I then tried to build the box using Debian sarge with 2.4 kernel and that work fine also.
Tried to do the same install but using the 2.6 kernel and the computer locks up with a Segmentation fault.

I then tried to build the ivtv drivers and that does not seem to work either. I always get unresolved symbols errors when trying to load the ivtv modules.

Now I am out of ideas on how to fix this issue. Can anyone help me, to either fix something in the kernel config so I can use 2.6 or fix the ivtv modules problems ?
For the ivtv i followed : http://www.ivtvdriver.org/index.php/Howto and http://www.ivtvdriver.org/index.php/Firmware
for custom kernel build i followed :http://www.howtoforge.com/kernel_compilation_debian_etch

lspci -v list the Nvidia card and Hauppauge card. I can provide it if anyone wants it.

P.S I installed WindowsXP and the Hauppauge card and nvidia card work fine. I am able to change channels fine.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:57 pm 
Check out the R5F1 hints, especially the bit about boot options like "intelfix".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:42 pm 
Thanks for the Tip, I will look at those.
But doing some more research on these forums and I found someone that had a similar problem with a dell and his onboard graphics.
So i blacklisted the intel_agp modules in /etc/hotplug/blacklist and rebooted in my 2.6 custom kernel and that worked!. No more kernel panic!
So I then tried to rebuild using the 'linux26' switch.
I then booted into a live cd and put the intel_agp in blacklist again
But that did not work. It still loads the offending module.

I checked on google and I tried to put it under /etc/modprobe.f/blacklist
then put blacklist intel_agp in that list and the system complains it is not in the correct format.

Does anyone know how to proper blacklist it ?

Thanks!