View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:09 pm 
I am fairly new to Linux. Through tinkering with knoppmyth, these boards, and trusty google, I was able to get basically any questions I had answered relatively quickly and some fundamentals covered.

However, I find that my bookmarks tab is getting a bit hefty for all the good linux tutorials from the web and was interested in recommendations for Linux books. That way, instead of searching my bookmarks, I can flip through a book.

For example, while running into issues such as network configuration, boot/shutdown sequencing, screen setup, etc it took me time to find which config files need to be altered and where they are located. It'd be nice to have a single reference for this sort of stuff rather than googling away.

I have gone through some reaaal basic Linux books (like Linux for dummies) and found that those type tend to focus on Linux history, general background of distros, GUI use, basic installation, and an intro to some commands. I'd like to find some books that get past the basic commands and into the overall architecture and structure of Linux, more for your basic programmer audience (whichever distro, preferably Debian based :))

Any recommendations?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:53 am 
One of the first books I bought was Linux Desk Reference, and I still use it frequently. It's more of a reference than a sit down and read it type book, but it's really easy to flip straight to the page you want. It covers mostly commands, but I think some things with file structure and other basics too (not positive about that part though, as I don't have it here at work with me). It gives very detailed descriptions of different commands and their options, but it also gives examples that are easy to understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:59 am 
If you want to buy some good manuals for yourself be prepared to lay out some serious money, anywhere from $40US through to $110US or more depending on the book and its subject matter. However once you buy them, you'll be looking things up for years and be thankfull you bought them

System administrators handbook (third edition / ISBN 0-13-020601-6) gives a good broad view of all things unix and linux, not sure what edition they are up to now but the one i have cost me about $100Australian 3-4 years ago and was worth every dollar. Gives an overview of everything from unix functionality through to how to do certain tasks or at least give you stepping stones on how to get there. This book was recommended to me by a sysadmin i worked with in '01 and i have never regretted purchasing it.

While im at it "Unix shells by example" (ISBN 0-13-066538-x) gives a good idea on how to shell script and make function calls in everything from awk through to ksh.

Also recommended is getting yourself a smattering of books from O'Reilly on various subjects that interest you with unix, their PERL books re particularly good.

happy hunting.