View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:55 am 
My GeForce FX 5200 short cirtcuited 2 nights ago. I am over the loss as since about 6 months I am actually using a Mac Mini as TV client.
So I was planning since forever to remove the card anyway.

The problem though is that Knoppix tries to use the NVIDIA driver on the build in gfx card (some VIA piece).
That fails of course (something like c7 can not be acquired), and the boot just hangs there.

How can I remove the NVIDIA driver? I tried searching over the forum but everything discusses installing drivers, the remove that someone listed from a devices file did not work (mentioned there was no such thing as 'NVDIA' in its list).

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:06 am 
- Case matters the driver name is "nvidia" all lower.
- Either use the CD as a rescue disk or one of the other techniques described on the BlackScreenAfterInstall page and edit your /etc/X11/xorg.conf (as root) and change the driver name there. Either use one of the generic ones like "svga" to start, or research the one for the Via built in video whose name escapes me right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:47 am 
interrupt the boot process and boot -s for single user mode.
hash out any references to nvidia in /etc/modules.conf or /etc/modprobe.conf

another thought is run "init 3" and bring it up in cli mode, then type startx from root, if it fails you may get it auto failingback to try and set it up again, if it doesn't then edit the xorg.conf, there also should be examples in the readme's and man pages of x and xorg.conf. failing that in the video section change the driver to "vga". Also it begs the question, is there a way to disable onboard with either a jumper or bios setting? there should be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:03 pm 
Thanks for the responses. I tried them and what I found out was that the .cnf files seemed to be missing. Somehow they got blown away.
I tried to upgrade the installation but that failed.
At the end I just erased the drive and installed the latest and greated.
Now I just need to get the Mac client updated on my Mini and I am back in business.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:27 pm 
All done. The biggest suprise in the server side setup was probably that most of the settings are now performed by the auto install.
I was pleasantly surprised that my hd tv cards were all ready to go in mythsetup. So much that I forgot to select my tv line up which caused a brief baffled moment why my schedules were not being downloaded.

The new client has built-in Apple remote support so I could get rid of another app on my client.
By using the little xml piece in the wiki I am now still able to keep Frontrow functionality.

It looks so good and easy that I have decided to cancel my dish, antenna combined with netflix is definitely sufficient enough for the entire family.

Now just hoping a different tv schedule provider can be found, I have problems paying zap2it for a schedule as long as its correct and up to date yet their link to the feedback site seems to be down.