View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:36 pm 
I just got two 500GB hard drive with the intent of using them for video storage. I want to use RAID0 so it looks like 1TB (really 931.5GB, but who's counting :D ). This is actually my first time I'm using a RAID for anything so I'm not sure whats going wrong.

I have Intel DG965WH (same as Dragon 2.0) and am using the hardware RAID. I successfully created a drive with 931.5GB of storage and now I believe I need to make a single partition and them format it as EXT3.

Heres where the problem happens. When I go into cfdisk (I also tried sfdisk, but cfdisk was a little more intuitive for me) with
Code:
cfdisk /dev/sdb
or
Code:
cfdisk /dev/sdb1
it says I only have 500105.25MB in the drive. How can I make it see that the drive is really much bigger?

edit-spelling

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:07 am 
Perhaps your RAID is sdc(or sdd, etc.)? What does
Code:
dmesg | grep sd
show you?

You may want to go the LVM route instead - http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=LvmHowTo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:24 am 
If it isn't a server board, which I'm guessing it isn't. It doesn't follow the typical naming scheme. It probably uses fakeraid. You'll be able to find the the full drive under /dev/mapper with some long string of characters as the name. Do a search for fakeraid on google to learn more.

EDIT: I'm not sure of the extent of fakeraid support in KM. If it the full drive isn't there and installing dmraid doesn't do it for you then LVM may be the better route.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:55 am 
What will LVM do? Will it make all 3 drives look like one or just the 2 news ones? I plan on mounting the combined drive in /myth/video. Can I do that with LVM?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:53 am 
LVM is similar to software RAID. There is a script that comes with KM called create_lvm.sh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:59 pm 
OK I screwed up something trying that and now my videos are gone. I didn't even get it to look like one 500GB drive let alone two. It doesn't look I deleted the files, I just can't see them anymore.

Code:
 df -h
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda1             4.7G  2.0G  2.5G  45% /
/dev/sda3              19G  173M   19G   1% /myth
tmpfs                 496M  4.0K  496M   1% /dev/shm
/dev/mapper/vg-myth    19G  173M   19G   1% /myth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:05 am 
You've got conflicting mounts on /myth. You need to edit your /etc/fstab file and remove the sda3 one.

The create_lvm.sh script normally does this for you, but it _is_ covered in the manual directions on the wiki too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:31 pm 
I thought I needed to use the manual instructions because I wasn't doing a fresh install.

Code:
# /etc/fstab: filesystem table.
#
# filesystem  mountpoint  type  options  dump  pass
/dev/sda1  /  ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro  0  1
/dev/sda3  /myth  ext3  defaults,auto  0  2

proc  /proc  proc  defaults  0  0
/dev/fd0  /floppy  vfat  defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022  0  0
usbfs  /proc/bus/usb  usbfs  devmode=0666  0  0
sysfs  /sys  sysfs  defaults  0  0
tmpfs  /dev/shm  tmpfs defaults  0  0
/dev/cdrom /cdrom  auto  defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto  0  0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/sda2 none swap defaults 0 0
/dev/vg/myth /myth  auto defaults,auto 0 2

I just need to delete this line?
Code:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:12 pm 
NILL wrote:
I thought I needed to use the manual instructions because I wasn't doing a fresh install.

Yes, if you want to preserve the contents of /myth, you do need to follow the manual directions.

The point was that step 8 of the manual directions tells you explicitly:
Quote:
8. Edit /etc/fstab. Comment out or change /dev/hda to /dev/vg/myth.

#/dev/hda4 /myth auto defaults,auto 0 2
/dev/vg/myth /myth auto defaults,auto 0 2

The same applies when you are replacing a /dev/sda entry.
NILL wrote:
Code:
/dev/sda3  /myth  ext3  defaults,auto  0  2
<SNIP!>
/dev/vg/myth /myth  auto defaults,auto 0 2

I just need to delete this line?
Code:

No. I said "conflicting mounts on /myth." and "remove the sda3 one" (emphasis added). Which of the lines taken from your /etc/fstab in the first code block in the quote contains both the tokens "/myth" and "sda3"? I'll give you a clue, it's _NOT_ the one for your swap device...

OBTW - You _did_ follow steps 6 and 7 and make appropriate adjustments for the "sda" devices names and numbers right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:42 pm 
Hi

I simply changed mine to read noauto then rebooted for a fresh start. Then the myth partition would be the one on the / partition for you to mount your new drive bank onto

/dev/sda3 /myth ext3 defaults,noauto 0 2
if you add this entry then you could mount your old myth files to be able copy once you have the big drive running.
/dev/sda3 /media/sda3 ext3 defaults,noauto 0 0

Just a heads up and your mileage may vary however I was just trying to use an eSata 500gig WD book and within a few gig (< 100gig ) of data transfer ( cp -uv /myth/* /dev/sdb1/ ) the system would freeze, had to power cycle to recover . The little blinky light just kept going around and around. Tried several different formats, fat32 (default), ext3, and then ext3 with the large settings as per the manual guide. What was transferred prior to the freeze was ok.

Finally switched to usb2 and all works well for my tasks.. The computer was a Dell GX740, 1 gig of mem dual processor so there was plenty of umph.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:05 pm 
The manual setup is just beyond what I can do for now so I'm opted to back of my files and do a reinstall and do the automated setup.

When I get to step 3 I have to enter
Code:
create.sh -ff /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdc1
. Even thought it didn't mention the -ff part in the directions it would proceed without it giving me the error
Code:
Can't initialize physical volume "/dev/sdb1" of volume group "vg" without -ff

It then asked me if I really want to initialize the volume. I proceed and get the error
Code:
Can't open /dev/adb1 exclusively. Mounted filesystem?
. I then use
Code:
umount /dev/sdb1
and get back
Code:
umount: /dev/sdb1: not mounted
I try the last step again and get the same problem over again.

I just like to point again that I have two drives named "sdb1" and "sdc1" I'm getting identical problems with both, I just didn't feel the need to type out every thing twice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:05 pm 
NILL wrote:
Code:
create.sh -ff /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdc1

Do you mean?
Code:
create_lvm.sh /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdc1

NILL wrote:
Even thought it didn't mention the -ff part in the directions it would proceed without it giving me the error
Code:
Can't initialize physical volume "/dev/sdb1" of volume group "vg" without -ff

I think you're doing something _bad_. You shouldn't need any other arguments, and the script is not designed to take any.
NILL wrote:
It then asked me if I really want to initialize the volume. I proceed and get the error
Code:
Can't open /dev/adb1 exclusively. Mounted filesystem?

Is the /dev/adb1 a typo or the real error message? Details matter here. If you go to the doctor and tell him your suffering peripheral numbness and peeing pink (blood in your urine) when you're actually peeing orange (too much beta carotene or B vitamin complex) he or she is going to ask a whole different set of questions and probably make a very different diagnoses (and cutting back on the supplements and certain vegetables is far less painful than a kidney biopsy!)
NILL wrote:
I just like to point again that I have two drives named "sdb1" and "sdc1" I'm getting identical problems with both, I just didn't feel the need to type out every thing twice.

Are those your only drives? I think we're at the point of dangerous ignorance here. What does this return (and please arrange to cut & paste from an ssh session or capture the output in a file to avoid typos):
Code:
dmesg | grep [hs]d[abcd]

That will tell us what devices you really have and how the system sees them. We'll proceed from there...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:51 pm 
I did mean create_lvm.sh /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdc1, and I tried that first and it told it couldn't without the -ff.

It is coming back as /dev/sdb1/.

I can't ssh into the machine. I'm following the directions to the letter and am doing this right after the first boot after install.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:23 am 
Have you partitioned the disks?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:42 pm 
Both drives are wrote as FS Type Linux, Primary, and non-boot. On a luff I tried FS Type Linux LVM with no results.