View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:12 pm 
After installing the package on the FTP site, I tried to recompile (ALSA outside kernel makes Plextor MAD!) and ran into the linked Kconfig files problem.

Reading another thread on this board I found out that I need to do a make kernel-links in what I believe is the v4l-dvb tar ball (also on the FTP site).

This, however, STILL didn't work.

Has anyone been able to recompile the kernel in R5F27? If so, can you please walk me through the steps. I'm been without my Knoppmyth box for weeks and I'm beginning to sing along to commercials :-)

Thanks,
Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:15 pm 
I had the same problem. After reading a few threads I applied what I read with a bit of intuition and got it to work doing this:

Login as root
$su

Download the kernel-source and correct the symbolic links, etc.
$wget ftp://knoppmyth.net/R5/linux-source-2.6 ... om_all.deb
$dpkg -i linux-source-2.6.18-chw-13_2.6.18-chw-13-10.00.Custom_all.deb
$cd /usr/src
$mkdir linux-source-2.6.18-chw-13
$cd /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.18-chw-13
$cp -r . ../linux-source-2.6.18-chw-13
$cd ..
$tar xjvf linux-source<tab>
$cd /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.18-chw-13
$cp /boot/config-2.6.18-chw-13 .config
$make ##This could take a little while
$cd /usr/src
$rm linux
$ln -s linux-source-2.6.18-chw-13 linux
$cd /lib/modules/2.6.18-chw-13
$rm build
$ln -s /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.18-chw-13 build

This procedure is based on part of this thread, http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14716

The last few items in the process don't help the compile per se but tidies up things. It will come in handy when one needs to compile something later.

Untarring the source seems to leave out some headers. If the source is untarred and then the headers are copied as shown in the original process then one is left with dead links for Kconfig, et al. If no headers are copied then some are missing. This process appears to copy what is needed and then overwrites the dead links when the source is untarred. What is actually going on didn't matter to me. I just wanted to compile.

FWIW, the step that copies the config file from /boot seems to be purely academic. Before I copied it I ran a diff on the what was already present in the source directory and what was in /boot and found no differences. That may not always be the case.

This process is not meant for compiling the kernel itself but creating headers that are needed to compile something else. Take what you need. Many thanks to jlowery7 for outlining the original process.

-s-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:42 pm 
i was excited to hear that someone figured it out....

I followed your directions exactly but I get stuck at the make step

Code:
root@mythtvmaster:/usr/src/linux-source-2.6.18-chw-13# make
  HOSTCC  scripts/basic/fixdep
In file included from /usr/include/bits/posix1_lim.h:153,
                 from /usr/include/limits.h:145,
                 from /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.2/inc                                         lude/limits.h:122,
                 from /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.2/inc                                         lude/syslimits.h:7,
                 from /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.2/inc                                         lude/limits.h:11,
                 from scripts/basic/fixdep.c:113:
/usr/include/bits/local_lim.h:36:26: error: linux/limits.h:                                          No such file or directory
In file included from /usr/include/sys/socket.h:35,
                 from /usr/include/netinet/in.h:24,
                 from /usr/include/arpa/inet.h:23,
                 from scripts/basic/fixdep.c:115:
/usr/include/bits/socket.h:310:24: error: asm/socket.h: No                                          such file or directory
scripts/basic/fixdep.c: In function 'use_config':
scripts/basic/fixdep.c:204: error: 'PATH_MAX' undeclared (f                                         irst use in this function)
scripts/basic/fixdep.c:204: error: (Each undeclared identif                                         ier is reported only once
scripts/basic/fixdep.c:204: error: for each function it app                                         ears in.)
scripts/basic/fixdep.c:204: warning: unused variable 's'
scripts/basic/fixdep.c: In function 'parse_dep_file':
scripts/basic/fixdep.c:300: error: 'PATH_MAX' undeclared (f                                         irst use in this function)
scripts/basic/fixdep.c:300: warning: unused variable 's'
make[2]: *** [scripts/basic/fixdep] Error 1
make[1]: *** [scripts_basic] Error 2
make: *** No rule to make target `include/config/auto.conf'                                         , needed by `include/config/kernel.release'.  Stop.

after that failed I tried something that probably is not needed
Code:
m-a update
m-a prepare
cd linux  (which is a symbolic link to the headers)
make
failed to compile from headers with kconfig error

Luckily, I got it to compile by running make from inside linux symbolic link to the source instead of inside the source directly... I have no idea why that would make a difference.
First I removed linux which was currently linked to the headers
rm linux (symbolic link to headers) and recreated the link to the source.

Code:
root@mythtvmaster:/usr/src# rm linux
root@mythtvmaster:/usr/src# ln -s linux-source-2.6.18-chw-13 linux
root@mythtvmaster:/usr/src# cd linux
root@mythtvmaster:/usr/src/linux# make
scripts/kconfig/conf -s arch/i386/Kconfig
* Restart config...
* Suspend2
Suspend2 (SUSPEND2) [N/y/?] (NEW)
Code:

By the way I had 3 or so new modules that i just accepted the default by hitting enter ( I guess it was compile as module)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:24 pm 
The error you got in the first compile attempt is what one gets because headers are missing. IOW, if one compiles without copying headers from the linux-headers directory and executes make on what comes out of the linux-source tarball only. I kept looking over the steps and then got the idea that maybe the the make needs to be moved to the bottom, that the links should be setup before the make is executed. I was trying a lot of different things but as recall now I already had the links set up because I had been thru the process a few times.

*sigh* Things were much easier running kernel 1.1.13. :wink:

-s-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:26 am 
I keep running into the following error when I run make:

root@mythtv:/usr/src/linux-source-2.6.18-chw-13# cd /usr/src/
root@mythtv:/usr/src# rm linux
root@mythtv:/usr/src# ln -s linux-source-2.6.18-chw-13 linux
root@mythtv:/usr/src# cd linux
root@mythtv:/usr/src/linux# make
scripts/kconfig/conf -s arch/i386/Kconfig
drivers/Kconfig:57: can't open file "drivers/media/Kconfig"
make[2]: *** [silentoldconfig] Error 1
make[1]: *** [silentoldconfig] Error 2
make: *** No rule to make target `include/config/auto.conf', needed by `include/config/kernel.release'. Stop.

Any ideas????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:50 pm 
It looks like you are missing the linux-headers package. Install the package that is the companion for your source. If it installs to its own directory then you will need to copy the headers to the source directory. It would go something like this:

#cd /usr/src
#cp -r linux-headers-blah-blah linux-source-blah-blah

Then compile. The commands are only conceptual and obviously not exact but should convey the idea. I also omitted the installation of the headers. Also, you will need to do this as root (su or sudo depending on your setup) since /usr/src is owned by root.

Hope this helps.

-s-