View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:16 am 
My wireless/Wifi is being started and connecting to the router on boot, but it doesn't appear that dhclient is being run. I have no IP address or DHCP lease.

If I exit MythTV and run dhclient, it all works fine. Needless to say, I don't want to have to do that every time I start the machine.

A few factors to consider:
* I didn't see anything in dmesg about DHCP or dhclient.
* I didn't initially have a wireless device when I configured the machine, so I've added this on to the initial installation.
* It's a Linksys WUSB54G v4 USB adapter; the RT2500USB driver (or something) picked it up fine and it works like a charm.
* I pulled the ethernet cable out of the NIC to test the wireless.
* In the initial installation, I choose DHCP on eth0
* I ran netcardconfig again, but didn't see anything pertaining to my wireless card; it just asked me to choose between eth0 and eth1
* I ran /etc/init.d/networking restart, and it appeared to get a new DHCP lease ok.

My /etc/network/interfaces looks like:
Code:
auto lo eth0 rausb0
iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet dhcp
iface rausb0 inet dhcp
  wireless-essid stbenets
  wireless-key ....
  wireless-keymode open

Not sure where to go here. Anyone have any ideas on why it's not trying to connect to a DHCP server on startup, and how to fix it?

BTW, I am really impressed with the progress KnoppMyth has made. I last tried it 18 months ago, and had a very hard time getting my hardware to work with it, and getting networking set up. This time, it recognized everything and it all worked perfectly right away (ATI graphics, SATA, remote control, wireless, Samba, etc.). Very nice work!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:18 am 
BTW, I'm running R5F27

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:30 am 
The KnoppMYTH install script has odd language. The script asks "Do you want to install DHCP server software?

You have to answer that question YES to get your KnoppMyth box to call out on it's networking port and request an IP number.

<I don't have a wireless card, as you asked. But the DHCP answer I give here may help you. Getting the IP number with DHCP is a problem on one networking layer, and having a Wireless card and driver is a problem on a different networking layer. >

On my install of R5F27, I tried rerunning "manual install" or "expert" install to force the installer to set up networking with a DHCP client. Both install processes seemed to drag me through disk partitioning so I simply did the ugly simple thing and I reran the automatic install.

The second part of KnoppMyth install seems to execute a series of shell scripts, (the names fly by on the install screen) and my guess is:

/usr/local/bin/config_diskless_frontend.bash is the shell script that sets up the DHCP software that MythTV needs.

I'm speaking about the typical home setup where some box on your home network gives out IP addresses. At my house it is a LinkSys WRT54G .

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:51 am 
kbob88 wrote:
My wireless/Wifi is being started and connecting to the router on boot, but it doesn't appear that dhclient is being run. I have no IP address or DHCP lease.

I have a USB wifi device that uses the same driver, and I have the same problem. For whatever reason, if you let things be for up to 30 minutes after booting, it may acquire an address via DHCP on its own. I think something is loading in the wrong order at boot time and timing out. I haven't looked into the details of what this could be, however.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:11 am 
Maybe a work-around would be to assign your wireless device a static IP address.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:30 am 
leeeg wrote:
/usr/local/bin/config_diskless_frontend.bash is the shell script that sets up the DHCP software that MythTV needs.

Well, /usr/sbin/netcardconfig sets up a network device for static info or DHCP, and /usr/sbin/wlcardconfig is supposed to launch when you have a wireless card, but you may need to run it by hand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:32 am 
jMon wrote:
Maybe a work-around would be to assign your wireless device a static IP address.

Well, in my case, my wireless device doesn't even connect to the AP on boot. If I wait about 30 minutes or do an ifup or a /etc/init.d/networking restart, it all works properly. I suspect something in /etc/init.d is running out of order, and if we could figure out what that is, and put it in the right place, by the time the wireless device is activated, it'll just work the first time instead of on a delay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:29 am 
This is why I bought a pair of NetGear's XE102s on eBay for $50. They connect my MythTV box via ethernet through my house's powerlines. Works great if you are not planning on streaming video which with wireless would be a joke anyway. Another solution is to buy a Linksys wireless router with DD-WRT on it and use it to bridge to your wireless router. I have seen these on eBay for a little more than $50. Linux and wireless PCI cards have been very "entertaining" for me.