View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:45 pm 
I currently have Knoppmyth up and running using a little 15" LCD TV, and it works fine. In the same room, I have my computer, a Mac running OS X 10.4, and two 19" monitors.

I would like to know if it is possible, by installing X11 on my Mac, to make session from my Mac to the Mythbox when I wish to make use of the front end, so that I can eliminate the 15" monitor.

I've seen that there are instructions in the wiki that seem to indicate that you can somehow use X11 over putty, so I am not sure whether this is something specific to Putty on Windows, or if I could use my SSH client on OS X w/ X11 to do the same thing.

Can anyone give me some pointers here? If I do set this up, would I be able to run the Mythbox headlessly at that point? Will the video look fine streamed that way? I can get around so-so on the command line, but am mostly a novice w/ Linux, and a complete novice concerning X11. Any advice here would be greatly appreciated.

TIA!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:29 am 
SWC wrote:
installing X11 on my Mac, to make session from my Mac to the Mythbox when I wish to make use of the front end

For viewing the guide, setting up recordings, and other admin tasks, yes that will work. It is not usable for watching recordings, Live TV, or videos, though. Decoded (uncompressed) video is just too much data for passing over the network.

A better solution is to run the frontend on your Mac. That way, only compressed video is transferred over the network. Download the appropriate version from here:

http://www.thesniderpad.com//index.php? ... &Itemid=36

and use the instructions from here:

http://knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page ... thFrontend

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:24 pm 
Alright, thank you for the insight. I won't bother setting up the X11 route if I can't view the video, as if all I want to do is set the schedule, I can accomplish it via the mythweb interface just as easily.

I've followed the instructions at the links listed, and have only a couple problems. First is that the frontend starts up full screen. Is there a way to set up the clients to only come up in a smaller window?

Second problem is that the videos don't play, but I have a feeling that is because it tries to set my resolution to the size of the videos due to being in full screen mode, and since my monitor can't go that low, it fails to launch.

So I think setting up the myth frontend to run in a window will suit me fine. Anyone know how to do this on the mac?

Thanks for your help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:09 pm 
I figured out the windowing of the frontend, so that is the good news. The bad news is that the recordings still don't play for me. I'll have to see what the deal is.

How does mythfrontend typically share/connect the files? Is there a way for me manually to test accessing the files from the Mac so I can tell whether it is an error specific to the Mac frontend, or my backend setup/sharing.

Sorry, my thread is spiraling beyond my initial intent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:57 am 
SWC wrote:
the recordings still don't play for me.
OK, so check the console output from MythFrontend.app, to see if there are any errors. Open Console.app, and look for anything obvious.

If that isn't revealing, open a Terminal, and run the frontend with verbose output:
Code:
MythFrontend.app/Contents/MacOS/MythFrontend -v playback

Quote:
How does mythfrontend typically share/connect the files?
For TV recordings, they are send from the backend to the frontend using a custom protocol (which allows jumping, fast forwarding, editing, playing faster/slower without pitch shift, et c.)

For videos and music, you have to set it up for the backend to share the files. e.g. to mount /myth/video/blah.mpg from your backend, so the MythVideo plugin in the Mac frontend can access the file using the same path. See:

http://knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=UsingSambaHowTo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:39 am 
Hey Nigel, thanks for sticking with me through this. Running the app from the command line gives a vital hint, I believe, with the following lines:

Quote:
2007-11-04 12:42:39.787 RemoteFile::openSocket(file data socket):
Could not connect to server "127.0.0.1" @ port 6543
2007-11-04 12:42:39.787 MythSocket(17991250:12): DownRef: -1
2007-11-04 12:42:39.787 MythSocket(17991250:-1): delete socket
2007-11-04 12:42:39.787 RingBuffer::RingBuffer(): Failed to open remote file (myth://127.0.0.1:6543/1007_20071022210000.mpg)

It looks like it is trying to connect to the localhost for the video data, even though it is correctly connecting to the remote server for the mysql data. I assume there is just a setting somewhere that I will need to update to resolve this. Any idea where it might be?

Best Regards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:19 am 
Step 1. Backup your backend. (from the KnoppMyth menu)

Step 2. Run mythtv-setup (I think its Alt S from the keyboard)
On the third page of the first item there are two spots for IP addresses. They have to both be the real IP address of your machine (e.g. 192.168.0.10)

Step 3. Restart the frontend and backend. (probably easiest to restart the whole machine). Check that watching recordings works locally in KnoppMyth, then try the Mac.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:04 pm 
Thanks Nigel,

I updated the mysql database prior to getting your message. I saw the MasterBackendIP or something like that, and guessed that that was the culprit, as it was set to 127.0.0.1. Updating that setting via Cocoamysql similar to how I updated the database IP setting ended up working fine. I have been able to watch TV from my Mac's second monitor now without issue.

Awesome!

Thanks so much!