View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:58 pm 
I'm using putty and an xming on a win32 machine use some LINUX-based apps via an x-session to a LINUX box.

I found some very helpful information at this URL which teaches how to use plink to auto login and run an application in one windows commandline string. I'm trying to use adapt this to log into a RH box that challenges users with an annoying "display server name: " question right after it prompts them for the username an password. One has to manually enter either the IP address or PCNAME of the windows machine, or else any x-sessions will not work properly.

I can automate the login process via plink like this:
Code:
plink -ssh -X -pw <password> <user@computer> xcalc

But I can't figure out how to incorporate the response to the "display server name" question.
Is there a way to have putty/plink enter this info automatically somehow? If not, can I somehow do this using XLaunch?

Thanks all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:41 am 
A few ideas:
    Does the RH box have X tunneling enabled for the ssh daemon? The config is probably in something like /etc/sshd_config. You might also check by trying to do this to a knoppmythbox which I believe already has it enabled.
    If tunneling is enabled correctly, this error usually means that ssh (plink) did not have access to the DISPLAY information. I don't know much about plink, but for ssh, it has to run within an X session and not at a console to have access to the DISPLAY.
    Finally, I use cygwin which works well for X and ssh tunneling. Since I prefer and xterm command line with vi, ssh, wget, emacs, find, etc., I use it for much of day-to-day work. Probably over-kill if you only want to run xcalc :lol: , but if you may use it for other things, you might want to try it.

If it is just the app you want to run, you might want to check if cygwin includes it. You might be able to do this without the RH box.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:02 pm 
@alien: thanks for the suggestions. What worked was to edit the .login nuking the lines for it and replaing them with the following (which worked):

setenv DISPLAY ${REMOTEHOST}:0.0

Now the "display server name" is assigned automatically.