View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:55 pm 
Hi, I've tried two wired usb mice and each time when I move the mouse it locks the system up. I have to turn power off and reboot.

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:03 pm 
mnestroy wrote:
Hi, I've tried two wired usb mice and each time when I move the mouse it locks the system up. I have to turn power off and reboot.

Thanks

Without any useful information (nothing about your hardware, knoppmyth version, whether you just upgraded or installed something, how long or frequently the problem has been happening, where you live, what you have tried, what was running when it locks up, what it says in the log file, why you're using a mouse at all on a media centre) you're wasting your own time asking. We're not gods or mind readers.

That said, Try a USB -> PS/2 adaptor, plug into PS/2 port and see what happens. It'll probably be a hardware problem.

Mike

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:01 pm 
manicmike wrote:
mnestroy wrote:

Thanks

Without any useful information (nothing about your hardware, knoppmyth version, whether you just upgraded or installed something, how long or frequently the problem has been happening, where you live, what you have tried, what was running when it locks up, what it says in the log file, why you're using a mouse at all on a media centre) you're wasting your own time asking. We're not gods or mind readers.

That said, Try a USB -> PS/2 adaptor, plug into PS/2 port and see what happens. It'll probably be a hardware problem.

Mike

I'm sorry, i'm just trying to install mythtv for the first time, brand new install, I guess I dont really need a mouse. But basically it locks up at any point no matter what screen i'm at. If i move the mouse the system freezes.

As far as logs go i'm a total newbie, i wouldn't have a clue where to even look for logs.

There any newbie guides on knoppmyth tv?? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:10 pm 
The other info Mike was asking for would still be helpful; add on to that PC/Motherboard make and model.
What type of remote are you using, and what kind of capture card?

I seem to recall reading recently about IRQ Conflicts between LIRC (remote control and IR Blaster) and Mouse ports.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:12 pm 
Hi,
We are all at some level of newbee, some just newer than others.

As for the strange problem you mentioned, it is kind of a new one to me. Almost sounds like a defective usb port.

Before going any further trying to second guess everything, some details about what hardware, which version and what ever else you may think of that may be of value is needed.

You can also check in the Hints & Tips section as there are some very good reading in tjc's special topic about hints & tips. Just starting out there is a lot of reading needed to be done. Stay with the basics until the first stages of the learning curve have been rounded.

Thanks
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:39 pm 
Also see the troubleshooting pages on the wiki.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:12 am 
Don't use USB, and see what happens. I stopped using a USB keyboard when its presence froze my box innumerable times.

Mike

P.S. You still haven't supplied the information requested.