View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:26 pm 
I am trying to set up a box in a VIA EPIA M 933 w/256 MB of RAM. Now before anybody points out this is not enough to use the PVR functions, I should say that I'm not looking for PVR... I just want to build a TV box that plays emulators fullscreen and plays videos. Some people I know did this with an Xbox but I thought it would be much cooler to build my own... and cheaper (I already have all the spare parts).

So my first question is this: what should I do to disable all "MythTV" related functions? I don't need to record or keep a database of programs. I don't know how much these load the CPU up, but I figure can win a few cycles by removing them.

My second question is on Mplayer... no video plays when selected, so I tried to run mplayer on command line to test. It exited with the error "Invalid instruction". It seems as though it's not supporting the Epia's C3 CPU, however I did install it with 586 optimized code (the lowest option). Do I need to recompile it, or are there binaries for EPIA Ms somewhere?

My third and final question regards remote administration. I'd like to setup as much as I can from my WinXP box. I already started Webmin to setup the folder shares, but I'd like to be able to run commands to test scripts and so forth. What would be the best way? I tried running telnet by activating it on webmin, but my Win box fails to connect to it (it finds it but then the connection is closed).

Any pointers on these topics will be greatly appreciated. They're the tip of the iceberg of a list of things to do...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:02 am 
For question 3, you should try using ssh to connect remotely rather than telnet--it's an encrypted connection. I use Putty to connect from XP to my Linux box and it works great.

Sorry, can't help on 1 or 2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 6:15 am 
Thanks, I'll try it tonight when I come back from work. I'm behind a firewall so I don't need encryption so much, but it won't hurt to learn :-)

Post subject: + WinSCP!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:52 am 
You may also want to look into WinSCP: http://winscp.sourceforge.net/eng/

If you get that going with PuTTY you a get secure connection for terminal work (use keyboard shortcut Ctrl+p) and the ability to securely transfer files using drag and drop, all using knoppmyth's built-in SSH server. :twisted:

My 2 cents,

cyber

Post subject: Re: + WinSCP!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 7:05 pm 
Wow, WinSCP + PuTTy are great, and just what I needed. That's one down! :)

Now to another one.. Mplayer quits with this error: MPlayer interrupted by signal 4 in module: demux_open". It does give a lot of tips on how to solve it, so I'll check into those first to figure out what needs to be done...

Edit: I'm trying to run updates with apt-get, but "marillat.free.fr" (a site containing a lot of deb packages) is down. I could get a mirror, but then I have to install everything manually. To paraphrase those cheap TV infomercials, "there's gotta be a better way!". :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:15 pm 
Perhaps you should browse the forum for MPlayer or read the docs, specifically about added software packages.

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:01 am 
You need to recompile Mplayer. untar it from the src dir and run
./configure && make && make install

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 5:37 am 
I see. I don't have a directory /home/mythtv/r4v4_src (only /home/mythtv/tmp/), so I think it hasn't installed or maybe some of the apt-get operations that I tired deleted it.

I downloaded the latest Mplayer from its official site, and I'll try to compile it with that. Is there anything particular I should be aware of for KnoppMyth? I already know that I have to carefully choose the CPU extensions (Epia M only has MMX and 3DNow!, not the rest), or at least enable the "autodetect CPU a runtime" option.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 7:37 am 
All included source files can be found under /usr/src

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 8:35 pm 
Found it, thanks!
Everything makes much more sense now... Compiling as I type. ;)

Edit:
Ok, now Mplayer works, but the video is lagging behind the audio. It seems to be codec-independent because I had the same effect playing back an mpeg and an avi (dvix) file.

From the looks of it it's tied to the -vo option of mplayer. The default (-vo xc) didn't work, so I tried -vo x11 and -vo xv. Both of these have the same result as not specifying any "vo" option.

I looked in the online docs but there's no list of -vo options. Maybe I'll find something in the VIA Epia M forums, I'll let you know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 5:13 pm 
It turns out -vo x11 is the best option. The only others that work (gl and gl2) are too slow. Ironically aalib seems to work fine... Maybe it's a sound sync issue... I'll see what I can find there.

Edit:
The lag is caused by the -zoom option, and turning it off doesn't seem to impact playback a lot. So I enabled the -framedrop and -autosync flags on the executable... and it works! There's a slight drop in framerate but if that's the only way to get the video zoomed then so be it... 8)

Here's the full call to mplayer:
Code:
/usr/local/bin/mplayer -fs -zoom -framedrop -autosync 30 -quiet %s