View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Archiving issue
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:11 pm 
I have been using knoppmyth for a couple of years now and really love it. Every time up to this point, I have been able to find answers to my issues in the forum... at least until now.

The problem I can not seem to solve is this: While creating an DVD of cartoons for my son (Which I have done probably a 50 times) the archive process hung (got all the way to starting DVDAuthor). I exited the archiving went back and it still showed the hung starting DVDAuthor. So I rebooted the machine thinking that this would solve the issue but the problem still exists.

After the reboot when I go to create a DVD (from the main menu-> optical disks-> Archive fies-> Export Video Files -> Create DVD) It goes directly to the Log viewer and shows the that the files have been multiplexed and it is starting DVDAuthor (But nothing happens). Is there a process to kill or how do I get it out of this?

BTW I am still running R5F27.

Post subject: Re: Archiving issue
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:34 pm 
Hi Maxxls,

Sorry to be obvious, but you *could* try upgrading to R5.5.

You'll probably want to do it anyway, but this seems like a really good time.

Alternatively, remove all the archive files "rm -r /myth/tmp/work/*", reboot the machine and try again. There are too many variables to know what (if any) process has hung.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:00 pm 
What? Upgrade/reload when it does not work. You must be a Windows user :) Thanks for trying to help.

I did some research on the mythtv site and I found this:

Quote:
After a crash/reboot MythArchive seems to have got stuck and always shows the log viewer when started

This can happen if something should prevent the script from completing like a crash, a reboot or if you kill the script before it finishes. When this happens the script leaves behind a lock file which prevents the script from restarting.

In order to fix this you need to locate the lock file called 'mythburn.lck' and delete it. You will be able to locate it in %WORK_DIR%/logs/mythburn.lck where %WORK_DIR% is the directory you told MythArchive to use to store its temporary work files ('Myth Archive Temp Directory' setting on the first page of MythArchive settings).

NOTE: The newer version of MythArchive in svn trunk which will be 0.21 is a lot smarter and will automatically remove the lock file if it detects the script is no longer running.

I tried the solution and it fixed my problem.

I can't wait to try the new version.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:47 pm 
maxxls, I believe that you need to delete the lock file /myth/tmp/logs/mythburn.lck. I am not totally sure though but, it wouldn't hurt anything to try.

I do not want to spread doom and gloom about mytharchive in R5.5 but it is incredibly SLOW now for me since upgrading. I am not really sure what the problem is because the archive jobs that I used to do normally would only take a half a day or so are now taking multiple days. I thought that they were getting hung up while running ffmpeg but if I wait long enough it will move on to the next recording to go on the DVD. I have a post about this in the Mythtv section of the forum but, I haven't got any replies. I am hoping I can sort this out because waiting 3 days or so to run a mytharchive job seems excessive. :?

Hauppage PVR 500 MCE
Soundblaster Live
ATI Remote Wonder II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:21 pm 
maxxls wrote:
What? Upgrade/reload when it does not work. You must be a Windows user :)

Yeah. I'm Bill's biggest fan.