View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:27 pm 
i am using a stock dragon 2.0 system with the addition of a pvr-150 card.

after uneventfully upgrading to r5.5, dvd burning is failing for me once it attempts to run tcrequant. if the session will fit onto a dvd without re-quantification, it will succeed.

mythburn fails with:

Code:
Need to shrink MPEG2 video files to fit onto recordable DVD, video is 965.48 MBytes too big.
Need to scale by 1.22706491063
tcrequant /myth/tmp/work/1/stream.mv2 /myth/tmp/work/1/video.small.m2v 1.22706491063
ERROR: Failed while running tcrequant

Terminated

i never really paid attention to this process in the past, so i was just happy that it 'just worked'. based on past posts, it appears that tcrequant should be a binary located in /usr/local/bin

i have attempted to do a find for tcrequant and "*requant*" starting at / with no results.

i have queried the database with these results:

Code:
| MythArchiveTcrequantCmd           | tcrequant                                                                           | aw.local |
| MythArchiveTcrequantCmd           | tcrequant                                                                           | mythtv   |

mythtv is the name of the host running the backend and frontend. aw.local is the name of my mac. i am not sure how this entry was created in the database. obviously, if it is looking to my mac to tcrequant, it is not going to find much help. also, that name really isnt resolving via dns, so i dont think mythtv would ever be able to reach my mac to obtain this service. aw.local is not listed in /etc/hosts.

be that as it may, i am coming to the conclusion that i simply dont have a binary called tcrequant.

so, my question is...should there be a binary named tcrequant included with the r5.5 release?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:02 pm 
I noted the same problem after my upgrade from RF27 and could not figure out the problem. I had been thinking about doing a clean install as I originally built this box 2.5 years ago and have been upgrading. I did a clean install and it appears to be working now. I occasionally had it fail on RF27, when it wasn't able to resize a huge file, but by and large it worked great!

To answer your question tcrequant is part of the transcode package and should be installed. I believe that there is a setting for mytharchive that requires tcrequant to be entered in the blank "Tcrequant". ( I would double-check this for you, but my Mythbox is in the middle of running tcrequant right now and I hope it works!)

If that is the only problem you are having, hang in there and maybe someone will come through with solution. :)

PS Just completed the tcrequant from 7.5 GB to 4.3 GB and proceeding to dvdauthor. Looks like it is working!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:54 am 
I just upgraded to 5.5 and sure enough tcrequant is missing, has anyone figured out a solution to this problem yet?

I've already forced an install of transcode (which had apparently failed before because it was missing libmjpegtools which I had to find and manually download)

Then I uninstalled and re-installed. There was no sign of tcrequant at any point in the process.

I'm almost to the point where I'm going to download the transcode source and try a compile to see if it'll create tcrequant which SHOULD be in the transcode package.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:26 am 
Site Admin
I guess I'll have to Google "mythburn"... MythArchive works perfectly fine w/ burning PVR 150 recordings to DVD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:52 am 
Cecil, I hope you're not making a snide reference to the old symlink from /usr/local/bin/tcrequant to /usr/bin/tcrequant.

I certainly wouldn't have posted here over something as stupid as that. It's not in /usr/local/bin/ it's not anywhere on my knoppmyth box (find / -name 'tcrequant' returns nothing)

Actually a dpkg --contents on the transcode deb in my cache doesn't list tcrequant either

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:55 pm 
Site Admin
No, I'm not posting a snide comment. I'm wondering what mythburn is and why it is being used when MythArchive works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:26 pm 
Ok, I completely missed that the first guy called it "Mythburn".

I suspect he meant Myth-Archive (although I shouldn't speak for him) and I definitely meant Myth-Archive (although I didn't mention either by name)

None of which changes the fact that tcrequant is missing.

Myth-Archive still uses tcrequant if the files to burn are larger that the medium. Why else would there be a setting called "MythArchiveTcrequantCmd"?

So I can't burn 3 shows of 42 minutes(after cuts) each to a DVD using Myth-Archive because it's 4.9G.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:09 pm 
Ok I just got home from work and thought I'd re-read the thread, and I noticed a few things.

First, I know why I missed the "mythburn" part from welner's original post.
---Because the rest of his post makes it clear he's talking about MythArchive
welner wrote:
i have queried the database with these results:

Code:
| MythArchiveTcrequantCmd           | tcrequant                                                                           | aw.local |
| MythArchiveTcrequantCmd           | tcrequant                                                                           | mythtv   |

Second, I certainly don't expect the project founder to hold the hand of every user who has a problem, but I also don't expect this...
cecil wrote:
No, I'm not posting a snide comment. I'm wondering what mythburn is

I'm way beyond skeptical that you forgot that mythburn was the DVD burning utility that you packaged with Knoppmyth back before MythArchive came along.
The first time I thought you were insinuating that a simple Google search would turn up the old mythburn fix that would also fix MythArchive. It totally went over my head that you were actually insinuating that we were still using mythburn.

I should have mentioned right away that my upgrade process was not uneventful. I will freely admit that the most likely cause of my upgrade troubles is my own tweaking, messing around with, and editing of my system prior to the upgrade(Not much to mess up in the upgrade itself). It's also probable that my efforts to fix the things after the upgrade may have led to the tcrequant problem (Most likely the "apt-get upgrade" switched to a version of the deb that is missing tcrequant)

But I was hoping to find a solution to my current situation that would be less time consuming than a full reinstall with restore of backup(way too many old episodes in the db to start re-recording)

BTW right now everything except MythArchive is working fine and even MythArchive will work as long as I only try and burn under 2 hours worth of video, but I'm going on vacation in a few days(Fri) which is why I wanted to get caught upon my archiving over last weekend, which led to the upgrade(I set up new front end for checking cutlists which wouldn't talk to the back end) which led to all these problems.

That's also why I'm looking for something faster than a re-install. If that's the only way to fix this, I'll just have to choose some shows to delete and deal with the archiving problem when I get back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:50 am 
Hi,

I think tcrequant is part of the transcode package, which i think is not actually installed by default in R5.5.

BigB.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:40 am 
Strange.... tcrequant is part of transcode which is in 5.5 (At least, transcode is on my box and I didn't install it)

I have tcrequant in /usr/bin/tcrequant.

I suggest you try re-installing transcode.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:22 am 
Thanks guys

I knew tcrequant was in transcode (thanks to grg3's post here), and at first transcode wouldn't install because it was missing libmjpegtools and apt-get couldn't find a source for libmjpegtools(See my first post in the thread).

Once I got it installed and tcrequant was still missing my first idea was
Code:
apt-get remove transcode
apt-get clean
apt-get install transcode

Still no joy

That was when I ran
Code:
dpkg --contents /var/cache/apt/archives/transcode_3%3a1.1.0-0.0_i386.deb

and noticed that tcrequant isn't in the deb that apt-get grabbed for me.

Last night after my post here, I tried looking for a new deb and found one for transcode 1.0.7. When I checked its contents it included tcrequant, but when I installed it, it overwrote a number of files and when I tried MythArchive it crashed at an earlier ffmpeg step, so I uninstalled it and re-installed the one missing tcrequant. Which puts me back to where MythArchive will work on short recordings again.

I need to find a deb that doesn't break stuff and still has tcrequant (Or do a full reinstall)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:04 pm 
I just checked the changelog:
Quote:
2009-01-11 Francesco Romani <fromani at gmail dot com>
* configure.in import/Makefile.am
tcrequant is likely broken, so it's deprecated.

You might want to try and go back to 1.0.7.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:22 pm 
WOOT some clear info on what's going on.

apt-cache showpkg transcode only listed 1.1.0

Some Googling turned up a "deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org lenny main" that has 1.0.7.

So I added that to my sources.list used apt-get with the version and viola /usr/bin/tcrequant now exists.

Of course manually downloading a 1.0.7 deb before created tcrequant, but broke ffmpeg. I'm hopeful that this time it won't break ffmpeg.

I'm running MythArchive with a single half hour show as a first quick test right now(It should tell me if I broke ffmpeg again).

Thanks alien!

Last edited by Threkk on Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:34 pm 
The quick test worked... Trying a full 3 shows with cutlist now. Woohooo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:13 am 
It worked!!!!!

I did notice a few brief artifacts when there was a lot of motion around a cut (not a cutlist cut but a switch from one camera to another in the show)

I hadn't seen anything like that before, but they're small and brief enough that it's acceptable.

I kinda wonder if they're related to the reason for tcrequant being missing from 1.1.0 though.

Many Thanks everyone

Go to page 1, 2  Next