View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:05 am 
I am a total Newbie to Linux. :)

So far i have installed Knoppmyth and I am booting into MythTV.

I had some trouble but was able to modify settings so that the video hardware was seen as "savage" rather than "S3".

Now, there are somethings I would like to change among them, the time and the IP address of the computer.

I understand that knoppix has a gui that allows settings to be changed - how do I get from MythTV to the Knoppix GUI. If someone could provide step by step instructions I would really appreciate it.

Some things I have worked out:
I can get a shell with ctrl alt F1. :D (But I don't know how to get out of the shell)
I can get to something called Fluxbox by pressing esc and then okaying the exit then right clicking the mouse. I can't find network settings or system setting in Fluxbox.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:33 am 
From what I remember getting into the shell by ALT-CRTL-F1 is the same but F2, however I find it much easier to start a windowed terminal Alt-X, then exiting is simply a case of typing exit, or clicking on the X in the corner of the window.
Have you checked the wiki? There is a guide to basic linux commands there. There are tonnes of HOW-To out there, but for the getting into the setup again, once in shell type:
Code:
/etc/init.d/mythbackend stop
mythtv-setup

once you've gone through all that type
Code:
/etc/init.d/mythbackend start

If I've got anything wrong there such as mythbackend might be mythtvbackend (but I don't think it is I'm mearly using this as an example) once you start typing the TAB key will fill in most locations for you.

As for changing time (when it's out) HowTo, there is a how to on the wiki. Here is the address: http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=TimeSynchronizeHowTo

I was once in a similar position to you - not knowing anything. Knoppmyth began as a steep learning curve. Most of what I have learnt is of the 'monkey see monkey do' type and I often don't understand the 'code'. Sometimes it has been frustrating and challenging, but it has taken me into the world of linux which has been very rewarding and has lead me to almost completely ditching Windows. R5.5 is definitely the easiest KnoppMyth release ever to set up and people around here are usually very friendly and helpful.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:10 am 
stevevass wrote:
I had some trouble but was able to modify settings so that the video hardware was seen as "savage" rather than "S3".

Now, there are somethings I would like to change among them, the time and the IP address of the computer.

I'm assuming you wanna do this via mythsetup as tophee suggested. You can exit the front end (esc, say yes), then right-click the desktop, open a new xterm, stop the backend, run mythtv-setup, change your settings, then start it again - see tophee's post for these specifics.

You want to change the time on your box or the timezone? The clock should be auto set if I'm remembering correctly and therefore always be accurate. Do you want to change the IP address of your mythtvbox? Default is DHCP. If you wanna switch it to a manually defined IP, see my post about enabling jumbo frames, just omit the 'mtu 4000' line.

Since you're new to LINUX, 99.9 % of everything can be done via the shell on the local box, or from the comfort of your desktop box (windows or mac in your case).

Download PuTTY and use it to connect to your LINUX box from your windows box.

$ prompt = user
# prompt = root

Root is the all powerful account and user accounts are just less powerful accounts. In general, root is needed to make system-level changes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:01 pm 
Thanks for the help, I'm sure all I need is a few tips to get started.

I have to say, I am enjoying learning all about Linux and Knoppix and MythTV.

One Question about the windowed terminal Alt-x. When I ran the terminal the prompt (from my memory) was something like ~$ and if I entered a command like CD /VAR nothing happened. While in a full shell ctrl ALT F1 I get a prompt with # and commands like CD /VAR work OK.

Is there something I need to do once in the windowed terminal?

I will be trying Putty soon, it sounds like a good way to get access without having to move my monitor between my Windows box and the MythTV box.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:32 pm 
I don't know what user you're logging in on the alternate virtual consoles, but when you use Alt-X you're opening the terminal window as the mythtv user, with a lesser privilege level. You may need to become root to perform certain actions.

http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=BecomeRoot

On the other hand, as discussed on the LinuxTips wiki page, Unix/Linux is case sensitive, and the only way the "CD /VAR" would ever work is if you logged in using all caps and the system (legacy behavior) decided that you were on a single case terminal. In either case the correct command is "cd /var", and it should work either as root, mythtv or the other user account you created during install. Once you're there you may not be able to look at certain things if you're not root, but that's a different issue.

http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=LinuxTips

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:02 pm 
@op - don't be discouraged, LINUX requires a paradigm shift compared to micro$oft-based O/S's. Most folks in these forums are friendly and tolerant of newbie questions. One thing I would encourage you to do is use the search function before you post. Also, google searching is another great resource. Pretty much anything that applies to debian will apply to knoppmyth too (i.e. apt-get, aptitude, update-rc.d, etc.) so you might wanna tack on the word "debian" or "lenny" to your google searches.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:17 am 
Thanks for the encouragement.

I managed to stop the mythtv backend

For the record to stop the backend the command is
/etc/init.d/mythtv-backend stop

but, I could not get the setup to start, I received the message "cannot connect to X server". I spen a couple of hours searching for help but I couldn't find what I needed.

I have a feeling that some of my problems are due to networking problems. I don't have this machine connected to a network but during the initial setup I set the database IP address to 10.1.1.10. I'm pretty sure that this is the source of my cannot connect to server issue. I tried to change the eth0 setup in the interfaces file but it did not work for me.

Oh well, perhaps in the next couple of days I will move the box so I can connect it to my DHCP router and see if I can get the network up and running.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:47 pm 
Hi. I'm another who never used linux till knoppmyth and now almost only use linux. Keep at it, it's worth it.

I don't think the x-server error has anything to do with networking. x-server is you "windows GUI". If your switching to ctrl-alt-F1 before running mythtv-setup then you are in a text only consol mode and therefore cannot connect to the GUI. Same if your connecting with putty.
Quote:
One Question about the windowed terminal Alt-x. When I ran the terminal the prompt (from my memory) was something like ~$ and if I entered a command like CD /VAR nothing happened. While in a full shell ctrl ALT F1 I get a prompt with # and commands like CD /VAR work OK.
I have noticed that in the xterm window the prompt is not the traditional user@host:/workingdirectory. Using ls you can see that the directory does change but the promp doesn't. I seldom use it so don't worry about it but a quick google says something like this should work.
Code:
PS1="\u@\h:\w\$"

couple other shortcuts you might find usefull (I sure do)
alt-1 = start backend
alt-2 = stop backend
alt-3 = restart backend
alt-x = open x-term window
alt-s = start mythtv-setup
alt-m = start mythtvfrontend

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:20 pm 
goofee wrote:
I have noticed that in the xterm window the prompt is not the traditional user@host:/workingdirectory. Using ls you can see that the directory does change but the promp doesn't. I seldom use it so don't worry about it but a quick google says something like this should work.
Code:
PS1="\u@\h:\w\$"

Good to give the useful shortcuts, but setting shell prompts are really irrelevant for newbies, and would scare a lot of them off.

FYI, following is the normal prompt for KM (from a non-gui login)

Code:
mythtv@mythtv:~$

xterms give:

Code:
sh-3.1$

Mike

P.S. Linux is (like UNIX) case sensitive.
Code:
CD /VAR
is meaningless, but
Code:
cd /var
will change the working directory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:47 pm 
Thanks to all that have assisted. I am still very much a newbie on Linux and MythTV but I already have a lot more confidence.

Post subject: Check out Webmin
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:14 pm 
You might also want to check out the WEBMIN utility. It is browser based and I think, helps in doing many tasks. You can find out more information about it from the WIKI.

http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=WebminHowTo

Asus M2NPV-VM - 1GB RAM - 40 GB Hard Disk - StreamZap
Frontend_2
Dragon 1.0 w/ 2G RAM - 40 GB Hard Disk StreamZap

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:33 am 
stevevass wrote:
Thanks to all that have assisted. I am still very much a newbie on Linux and MythTV but I already have a lot more confidence.

Your original issue of getting to mythtv-setup was caused by not having what the backend claimed was "X-windows".

If you are running KnoppMyth 5.5 (or earlier) and are still perplexed you can try this:

1) IF your Frontend is running then escape out to the desktop (fluxbox).
2) RIGHT click on the desktop and a context menu will pop up.
3) Hunt (I can't remember since I am not in front of my boxen currently) for a menu item like 'Xterm' or 'terminal' and click on it. This should spawn a terminal session with a '$' prompt. You are now into a terminal session within X-windows as the normal user 'mythtv'. Don't worry about the prompt not having much information in it.
4) Follow the other posts in this thread IF you want more information to be at the '$' prompt.

5) NOW, stop the backend by typing in:

Code:
/etc/init.d/mythtv-backend stop

and press enter. You do NOT need superuser privilege to do that.

6) Fire up the mythtv setup routine at the '$' prompt with:

Code:
mythtv-setup

Again, no superuser privilege needed.

7) Make any changes you feel are necessary (there are many other places to get HOWTO's on that stuff) and escape until the setup screens dump you back to the terminal screen.

8) NOW, you will need to be the superuser to restart the backend. At the '$' prompt:

Code:
su

and press enter. You will be prompted for your ROOT password, which you must enter successfully. You will NOTE that the '$' prompt has changed to a pound sign '#'.

9) Enter the following at the '#' prompt:

Code:
/etc/init.d/mythtv-backend start

10) When you are returned to the '#' prompt you can exit from the terminal by (IGNORE the '#' and '$' symbols in the code below they are the prompts in the terminal):

Code:
#exit

then:

Code:
$exit

The terminal session will close and dump you back to the KnoppMyth desktop.

11) Right click again and huntdown something (I think in the 'apps' menu item) that is something like 'Knoppmyth Run' and this should restart your Frontend.

All should work as expected from there.

Good luck...KnoppMyth rules...The KnoppMyth Wiki is your friend. Visit often.

Squiff